U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Center City and close by neighboring locals fit the worldy sophisticated description. When you get into the deep South, North, West, or Northeast neighborhoods you find the low brow cheese steak eating blowhards who think the alphabet begins with E and ends with S.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,201,736 times
sadly, low brow has taken over much of center city as well. i lived downtown for 10 years and just recently moved to chestnut hill. people of all races and backgrounds curse, spit on the street, are very rude and self absorbed, will not look you directly in the eye, will ask the most racist and unintellectual questions about race, class, etc. we have an adopted daughter from china and you wouldnt believe the ignorant things people who are educated from Bryn Mawr, UPenn, Haverford-much less the working class schools like st joes and temple, and so called Liberal minded, ask about adopted children, children of different races and backgrounds or about interracial couples.

philadelphia at one time may have been sophisticated but i think the new meritocracy is only about materialism and careers and less about character, high brow culture and class. they tend to like more lowbrow art and culture, more sporting events and contemporary or street art. Sans the Kimmel, the Academy of the Arts and Curtis , we have found very few people esp younger adults under 45 who are sophisticated and properly well bred. I thought coming to a city with an Ivy would be great, like boston or NYC--but its more like New Haven. granted my Ivy in Providence experienced the same things with the town but providence is no Philly.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,905,727 times
/\ Philadelphia is a Blue Collar town. Ignorance is worn like a badge of pride here. I dunno if it's simply "racism" like say in the south so much as people who simply are incapable of understanding anything outside of their extremely narrow world, which would encompass racial issues.

Being home to a Ivy Leauge school doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. To some Longshoreman living down in South Philly, UPenn midas well be in Fuji.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
being multi ethnic or even integrated doesnt mean it is a safe or place where people are treated equally. there might be tons of integration but whites still mingle with whites and blacks with blacks. thats the difference between being tolerated and being treated as an equal.
Sorry, this is like the pot calling the kettle black. This is inarticulate to the point of being unintelligible.

Quote:
uniformed is not knowing that due to White flight, Philadelphia was the only city that in the 90s and 2000s, that was losing middle class whites to the suburbs while most cities saw a reverse migration to the city.
uninformed is right. you're completely wrong.

Quote:
race and economics are often the same in these big old cities in the east--where whites and blacks/hispanics are divided along both racial and economic lines. sure there are a few of us blacks, and hispanics who are middle and upper middle class and not suffering as much, but that doesnt change the fact that in these old cities the racism is very apparent and real.
Seriously man, you should get out of center city every once in a while. If it's been a while since you've seen poor white people just head down to 4th & Wolf or pretty much anywhere in Fishtown, Juniata, Port Richmond or Kensington . . . or anywhere on Chester Pike in DelCo. GMAFB.

And if you're trying to make the point that some sunbelt city is "less racist" than an "old city" then really . . . i'm ROFLMFAO.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times
Quote:
. I thought coming to a city with an Ivy would be great, like boston or NYC--but its more like New Haven.
that's an interesting observation. i grew up in new haven. aside from the yale students (who make up a good portion of the city) the overall demographics are very similar. i've had friends who've visited philly from new england and equated it to a huge new haven.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM

yep i agree, because between Town and Gown there is a tension. wealthy Yalies and the Underclass black population of New Haven are much like UCity and Center City and being surrounded by the working and lower classes and black underclasses of Philadelphia

very similar

Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Sorry, this is like the pot calling the kettle black. This is inarticulate to the point of being unintelligible.

uninformed is right. you're completely wrong.

Seriously man, you should get out of center city every once in a while. If it's been a while since you've seen poor white people just head down to 4th & Wolf or pretty much anywhere in Fishtown, Juniata, Port Richmond or Kensington . . . or anywhere on Chester Pike in DelCo. GMAFB.

And if you're trying to make the point that some sunbelt city is "less racist" than an "old city" then really . . . i'm ROFLMFAO.

not wrong, that has been my experience for 10 years in Philadelphia, perhaps not your.

and many sun belt cities are very much less racist that philadelphia, can you tell me which sunbelt cities you have lived in? at 45 years old and having lived in many places including NYC, Providence, Albany, and many sunbelt and deep south cities and also having many many travels in Philadelphia including all the areas you have mentioned as I work with a Homeless organization as a social worker, i deal with them all the time and my experiences have been as i described.

solib, this is not a thread of personal attacks, so if you cant have a civil discussion about your experiences here and also listen to others personal experiences then there cant be a discussion.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
not wrong, that has been my experience for 10 years in Philadelphia, perhaps not your.
By your experience you mean white flight happening in Philadelphia and not in other big cities? census.gov thinks you're wrong and I happen to agree.

Not only that but for the last 20 years it's been middle-class flight. Not "white-flight". If the early indicators bear out in next year's census we'll see far more of the black middle-class leaving the city than of the white middle-class.

Quote:
and many sun belt cities are very much less racist that philadelphia, can you tell me which sunbelt cities you have lived in? at 45 years old and having lived in many places including NYC, Providence, Albany, and many sunbelt and deep south cities and also having many many travels in Philadelphia including all the areas you have mentioned as I work with a Homeless organization as a social worker, i deal with them all the time and my experiences have been as i described.
Saying that a place like Jacksonville is less racist than Philly is highly subjective but if we're going to trade anecdotes here's one; according to the Congolese guy I met in Montreal two weeks ago he found Dallas to be an unwelcoming environment for a whole host of reasons, racism being one of them.

That aside, I've lived in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia on the east coast. I've also lived in Missouri and spent significant time in Florida and Southern California.

Quote:
solib, this is not a thread of personal attacks, so if you cant have a civil discussion about your experiences here and also listen to others personal experiences then there cant be a discussion.
There's a difference between a critique (eg - what you're writing doesn't make any sense) or being hoisted on your own petard and a personal attack.
Me telling you that you're wrong is also not a personal attack.

I'm more than happy to read people's anecdotes. I post them myself all the time . . . I just don't try to pass them off as fact, especially when they run counter to well documented socio-economic trends.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
By your experience you mean white flight happening in Philadelphia and not in other big cities? census.gov thinks you're wrong and I happen to agree.

Not only that but for the last 20 years it's been middle-class flight. Not "white-flight". If the early indicators bear out in next year's census we'll see far more of the black middle-class leaving the city than of the white middle-class.

Saying that a place like Jacksonville is less racist than Philly is highly subjective but if we're going to trade anecdotes here's one; according to the Congolese guy I met in Montreal two weeks ago he found Dallas to be an unwelcoming environment for a whole host of reasons, racism being one of them.

That aside, I've lived in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia on the east coast. I've also lived in Missouri and spent significant time in Florida and Southern California.

There's a difference between a critique (eg - what you're writing doesn't make any sense) or being hoisted on your own petard and a personal attack.
Me telling you that you're wrong is also not a personal attack.

I'm more than happy to read people's anecdotes. I post them myself all the time . . . I just don't try to pass them off as fact, especially when they run counter to well documented socio-economic trends.
i have lived in NY, PA, RI, SC, TX, FL, MS and OR--Dallas and Pensacola FL were far less racist than any experience ive had here. i cant speak for a guys experience from teh Congo, only from my African American experience here. Dallas and surrounding suburbs, San Antonio, teh RGV were great places and in 4 years there never experienced a racist act. In MS 3 years maybe 2 acts, FL NONE, SC none, RI none, NY 3, PA heck i cant count them on my fingers, more than a dozen-all in the city or direct suburbs.

not knowing a person and assuming they havent been out of center city should mean that you should ask first, just as i asked where you lived in the sunbelt before saying your experience is wrong. we all have different experiences, mine have been that Philly is very racist, CC included compared to sunbelt and Deep south cities. doesnt mean one cant live here but that it has a greater proclivity for racism than most cities.

i dont knwo which part was unintelligible-tolerance doesnt mean not racist. people can tolerate each other but not really get to know them as people, as human beings and so carry with them many stereotypes. a place might be integrated, like a big urban city or a small southern town, having 50% blacks and 50% whites, but if they dont socialize, mix, and if they continue to live socially segrated lives , racism thrives. not sure why that was inarticulate

Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Dallas and surrounding suburbs, San Antonio, teh RGV were great places and in 4 years there never experienced a racist act. In MS 3 years maybe 2 acts, FL NONE, SC none, RI none, NY 3, PA heck i cant count them on my fingers, more than a dozen-all in the city or direct suburbs.
huh, what? some black guy just got dragged to death (underneath a truck) in TX in the last few months by two white guys. You can see what you want to see and make hay out of what you want to. It's the internet - show me the links to the articles on these racist acts.

[quote]not knowing a person and assuming they havent been out of center city should mean that you should ask first,[/quote[

it's hyperbole.

Quote:
just as i asked where you lived in the sunbelt before saying your experience is wrong.
I don't care about your resume. Just as mine isn't important. An experience isn't right or wrong. It just is. What you are failing to understand is that your anecdotes are not evidence of fact nor of a trend.

Quote:
i dont knwo which part was unintelligible-tolerance doesnt mean not racist. people can tolerate each other but not really get to know them as people, as human beings and so carry with them many stereotypes. a place might be integrated, like a big urban city or a small southern town, having 50% blacks and 50% whites, but if they dont socialize, mix, and if they continue to live socially segrated lives , racism thrives. not sure why that was inarticulate
This version is perfectly understandable.

Go back and read your previous post and if you still need help figuring out why it was unintelligible you can start with the missing articles, incomplete thoughts and sentences and missing and misplaced punctuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or