Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times

Advertisements

racism is not a zipcode or geographic issue

racism is an individual decision by adults and training in children
some are openly racist and others are closet types aka cowards..

however like tends to attract like ,, so they tend to be in bunches

all races and ethnics have racists ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
[quote=solibs;11328395]huh, what? some black guy just got dragged to death (underneath a truck) in TX in the last few months by two white guys. You can see what you want to see and make hay out of what you want to. It's the internet - show me the links to the articles on these racist acts.

Quote:
not knowing a person and assuming they havent been out of center city should mean that you should ask first,[/quote[

it's hyperbole.

I don't care about your resume. Just as mine isn't important. An experience isn't right or wrong. It just is. What you are failing to understand is that your anecdotes are not evidence of fact nor of a trend.

This version is perfectly understandable.

Go back and read your previous post and if you still need help figuring out why it was unintelligible you can start with the missing articles, incomplete thoughts and sentences and missing and misplaced punctuation.

can you post where a black man was dragged to death in Texas in the last few months? black men and white men have been killed in the northeast dor racist issues, cross burned in an interracial couples yard in south philly a fewin 2006. so not sure what your point is on that one.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
The suburbs are overall have more racism than Philly, though there may be some complexities with trends of some middle class blacks moving further out and white moving back into the city for various reasons. Also, even within mixed areas, some races still tend to cling to their own "kind" since generally the culture is easier to be a part of.

in the suburbs, you had the pool club incident in Huntingdon Valley. I hear all kinds of stories about people in Brookhaven and Aston being more than uncomfortable with a black person around the area because of Chester's reputation.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 13,410 times
Get over the racist whining, last time I checked we had a black president.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
[quote=carolinajack;11352695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
can you post where a black man was dragged to death in Texas in the last few months? black men and white men have been killed in the northeast dor racist issues, cross burned in an interracial couples yard in south philly a fewin 2006. so not sure what your point is on that one.
Dragging death: Races face off in Texas - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com

your turn.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM

58 posts, read 372,568 times
Quote:
This is the way it is in the city, like it or not. Anything else and there is a much higher probability of you being a victim. You see, nasty people often first come in the guise of being "friendly". They are good at what they do. Welcome to the jungle, baby. Trust no one. If you don't want to live like this, stick to the burbs. But then you have to be wary of the much slicker, and likely better resourced, white collar business criminal. They wont kill you, but they can make your financial life hell. Paper robbery. Frankly, I have a hard time trusting a crocodile smiling white businessman walking toward me as well.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...#ixzz0XH2tS4N2
Life in the City! I agree.......I just heard the Montco Swim Club is going bankrupt! Good.

Montco swim club in racial flap files for bankruptcy
By Derrick Nunnally

Inquirer Staff Writer

The Huntingdon Valley swim club embroiled in a racial controversy over the summer has filed for bankruptcy.

The Valley Club, which revoked a contract with the Creative Steps day camp after 56 black and Latino children made their first visit to the club June 29, filed a bare-bones petition for Chapter 7 bankruptcy Monday afternoon.

The step moves the club toward selling off its assets, which the filing states as being between $1 million and $10 million, to pay off its creditors. The bankruptcy petition lists the club's debts as between $100,000 and $500,000 but does not offer further specifics.

Found at: Montco swim club in racial flap files for bankruptcy | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/18/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/70350032.html?cmpid=15585797 - broken link)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2009 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: copyright - post a link and a snippet please

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i think parts of S. Jersey are pretty bad too

Quote:
Life in the City! I agree.......I just heard the Montco Swim Club is going bankrupt! Good.
good riddance. there is a lot of animosity between some suburban towns and "inner city" people. they don't trust them and
would rather have nothing to do with them.

Last edited by john_starks; 11-19-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I wouldn't think they are considered a second class citizen in Philadelphia,especially being that 'the brothas are runnin the city' some are saying. The mayor is black and the majority of the good paying city jobs are held by blacks.

I also wouldn't say they all necessarily think the blacks are uneducated and poor,we have plenty of whites(or at least white trash) that seem to be uneducated and poor. The crime maybe though,if one would turn on the tv news any night of the week you would see most of the reports from the same neighborhoods all the time. That would kind of set a pattern of sorts in ones mind.
blacks are running alot of cities, New Orleans for instance, that doesnt mean anything to the whites. most still dont consider blacks their equals and so in most of the cities there are still massive ghettos and a large black underclass. also, its not about the few blacks in power or have what you call good city jobs, i am talking about attitudes not positions.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Question: Name the area of the city where Phildelphia Mayor Michael Nutter is the most popular? Answer: Northeast Philadelphia, where he has a job approval rating of 59 percent. That is an astonishing factoid found in the latest Pew poll, which was released Tuesday (Feb. 9) And where is this black mayor least popular? Answer: Predominantly black North Philadelphia, where his job approval sits at 42 percent. The poll, done by Pew's Philadelphia Research Initiative, shows Nutter's overall job approval rating is 53 percent approve to 32 percent disapprove. This is up a few points from last spring. Among the various categories of voters, Nutter's job approval rating is highest among whites (65%), college graduates (62%), those 65 and older (65%) and among those with household income over $100,000 (62%).
The Post-Racial Mayor - Metropolis

Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthewise View Post
I must admit that I am 32 years old and have lived in this city for a great deal of my life but have also lived in both the midwest and the westcoast as well. I have also travelled through the south as well so I can give you a very clear perspective of the city of Philadelphia from someone who knows it so well. I will admit that this city has a very bad racial history that has existed fae before I was born and its legacy can still be felt today in this city through its inhabitants both black , whites and by other races although Philly only sees black and white traditionally. The atmosphere that pervades virtually every institution and community in this city is one reminiscent of the antebellum south break the breakout of the civil war. Yet I have to say objectively as someone who is a latino of dark complexion that this sentiment exist on both sides of the race line. People tend to think in exponential figures when it comes to race here , meaning the thoughts or actions of one represent the truth for the total sum of a people. The city is not very hard to figure out in the sense that whites here tend to thrive on fear which the local media disgracefully tends to fuel which in turns fosters hatred which is almost instinctual. The mere sense of ettiquet and universal social graces go out the window and are replaced by behavior which is animalistic and barbaric by the standards of any civilized society. This is keep a vicous circle alive which creates a hostile minority pupulace and makes an outsider confused as to where such vicousness began. Truthfully yes racism does exist everywhere but every region and its local poulace have there own individual history which may has headed either towards some sense of reconciliation or has worsened over the years. To this example Ill place a city like Boston that many claim so identical to Philadelphia and where race riots even took place in the late 70`s over the school busing issue. This city has a much different feel than the city of Philadelphia does and I can only speculate as to what may have happened over the past 30 plus years. One major change would be the influx of people from other regions and countries, the growth of commerce and job opportunites and I guess it also helps to have some of the best learning institutions in the area. Local Politics has done more to agravate the issue than to help it over the years, with a black mayor who bombed an entire black neighborhood being re-elected over a racist white one who line up blacks naked against a street corner wall when he was police chief. A white or black mayor stand as some kind of status symbol to people when in truth the only people they ever helped were themselves and their own cronies. Regarding the white mayor who did that , after his death he now has a statue of himself erected in the center of town where the pidgeons can do to him what he`s done to this city all of his life. People dont also understand the ethnicity issue when it comes to whites because in this city places that are heavily irish like the northeast or heavily italian like south philly have racism which is reminiscent of Nazi Germany whereas more ethnically mixed areas of whites from different religions and european backgrounds tend to be much more enlightened. I guess speaking from the perspective of a hispanic I can see and hear the thoughts of both as well as know what it feels like to be seen as some unwashed unruly savage by people whom have never known me nor heard me speak. I lived in minneapolis that for the two years i have lived there was much more liberal, open diverse and devoid of a long cumbersome history of hate like you`ll find here. My ex girlfriend was tall Nordic blonde from Minnesoate and we face unbelievable behavior which would be diagnosed as insanity by any medical professional yet it is accepted as normal behavior here and a racist is hailed as a victim here in Philly. I cam back east after my father fell ill and have been here for a year now but look foward to returning out west as soon as I can for there is nothing here for anyone who seeks an educated populace with a sense of diversity and hermony and all fronts. When it comes down to it racism is as destructive to the racist as it is to the repient because it seals you in predictable, stagnant place where true growth of any sense becomes impossible. My recommendation to you is that you seek peace in an area more readily accepting of your endeavor. Good Luck
whoa! i know my response is about 3 years after you wrote this, but just wanted to thank you for this elaborate reply. I'm a brown-skinned 30-something single guy and am wanting/hoping to move to Philly (not its suburbs, but the city) partly because I feel that I'd fit in well over there compared to where I am right now (Texas). Having read a lot of things about Philly from various sources, I have known that the city suffers from black/white race issues partly because of the sordid history that you refer to, partly because of the post-industrial, high-tax, low-growth environment, partly because of the blue-collar past, etc. But I have not read perspectives of other brown folks. You're latino/a, I'm Indian...but I guess the racists wouldn't know/care about the difference, so based simply on skin color, I guess I'd suffer just about your level of Philly "attitude".

I guess I'm still hoping that Philly is not such a huge nightmare waiting to happen as soon as I move there eyes wide open (or shut, if you think so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia