U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM

58 posts, read 343,328 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum!

I live in San Diego California where mixed couples are not a big deal! I am a White woman dating a Black man. Should I be worried about raising kids in Metro Philadelphia - New Jersey? Locals from Germantown (PHL) tell me that Philly and the Metro area is changing, but it is not as Tolerant as the West Coast. Please let me know your thoughts, Positive or Negative! Thank You in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
I think it depends on where you are in Philly. No problem at all in Center City, Queen Village, University City, Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,906,526 times
In Philly, I think you will do fine. I hate Philly, but it does have such a mix of races, that in many parts, a mixed family is quite common.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 AM

158 posts, read 759,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport
Hello Forum!

I live in San Diego California where mixed couples are not a big deal! I am a White woman dating a Black man. Should I be worried about raising kids in Metro Philadelphia - New Jersey? Locals from Germantown (PHL) tell me that Philly and the Metro area is changing, but it is not as Tolerant as the West Coast. Please let me know your thoughts, Positive or Negative! Thank You in Advance.
I'd say it's tolerant but not quite as tolerant as Southern California.

I wouldn't say the area is racist, but you don't find mixed couples as often in the burbs as you do in the city. That could make it tough.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 AM

646 posts, read 1,678,995 times
This is one our major concerns as well (being a mixed couple). Now we’re coming from a part in the Midwest where it’s not common at all even though it doesn’t really raise an eyebrow, so our perspective is a bit different than for the people coming from SoCal. How do you think Philly compare to other areas in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast area? Would there be other places you would fit in better? We don’t have any kids yet, but that once we do, we don’t want them to go through things and be pioneers, so I would be glad to hear your recommendations.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,434,405 times
The closer to Philadelphia (urban center) you are the more tolerance you will find.

I live in far Southern New Jersey now (moved here from Philly area) and we had friends here that are a mixed race couple. (She is white, he is black).

They had to move away, to Orlando Florida, because of the harrassment he received here. He is a nice, hard working family man, and he would get pulled over for nothing other than being a black man driving a Lincoln Continental, as occured in one instance. (His car was in the shop, his FIL lent him the Lincoln to go to work and the police assumed he stole it). His wife had to come get him out of jail more than once just because they didn't believe him.

Many of the other parents in the school our children attended together would whisper about the "woman married to the black guy." We were horrified at such words, I made that plain. It was downright awful!

We were sad to see them go, they are a nice couple and their two beautiful daughters were friends with our youngest daughter. It was a shame, but we understood why they needed a different life. Happily, it turned out to be a wonderful move for them, and this harrassment is no longer a part of their lives in their new home.

Cross Southern NJ off your list, stay near Philadelphia - a more worldly, cultured and sophisticated mentality, and you'll be fine. (I guess Orlando, FL would be good, too). Best of luck to you!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks "Adream" for your input. It is appreciated.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 AM

My East Coast friends, you are awfully quiet. Surely you must have something to say?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,527 times
I live in the 'burbs, around 3 miles outside the city. There are mixed race coubles on my block, nobody cares.

I work in all neighborhoods of the city and mixed race couples are not uncommon anywhere (except maybe Society Hill).

Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,039,954 times
I voted a while back, but didn't see the need to comment. Metro Philly/South Jersey is extremely diverse and tolerant. I would guess the difference between here and California is that in California there is more of a notion of "warm and friendly acceptance," whereas here, it's just that no one cares! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or