Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,307 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity presented by a couple family members to let me stay in their place for a while in Bryn Mawr while I get situated with a job and living space in or around Philly. A little about me and what I'm looking for - I'm a 26 year old man that grew up in small-town Connecticut for . . . oh, about 26 years. I've been wanting to move for a while and figure now's the time while I'm still youngish and unattached to any job/mortgage/relationship. I plan on moving by June if that matters (just going by the 'questions for potential residents' thread). I've been to Philly numerous times, but never really paid any attention to places I'd like to reside. I plan on being a waiter/bartender during which time I'm going to study to become a personal fitness trainer. I'll definitely be renting; I don't really have a preference for the style of building I'll be in, but I'd prefer to be either alone or with a group of say, 3 or 4 other people. I have no kids, no pets, no need for a yard really. I will have my car and one motorcycle with me, so I need at least one parking space. I'd like a neighborhood where I can go for a walk or run safely and I don't want to worry about people vandalizing or stealing my car/bike, so safety's also a priority. My budget isn't very high - I'd like to keep it under $800/month but I could go a little higher for the right place. Ideally I'd like to be close enough to walk to places like the bank/post office/food store/etc. but I don't necessarily need to be. I was recommended to take a look at University City, since it's mostly people around my age and it's not far from my family in Bryn Mawr. Looking for opinions/input/comments...I'll answer any other questions that may help with recommendations. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,504,198 times
I would recommend you look in the Delaware County burbs like Havertown, Drexel Hill, Springfield. $800 does not get you much - especially when you are looking to park 2 vehicles that you don't want damaged! That would kill the University City idea right there - too much chance of vandalism.

I would recommend you sell the car and/or bike and move to a studio in or near Center City - you can use car share services and will save a bundle - maybe even enough to up your rent budget a bit.

Good Luck!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM

596 posts, read 1,699,784 times
I agree concerning the car/motorcycle. Get rid of them before moving here. Owning any vehicle in the city is more of a liability than an asset. If you're joined at the hip and can't part ways with them, consider some of the "suburban-city areas". They have more of a suburban feel, are still in the city and you're not sacrificing living with people closer to your age versus family-ville. Given your background and needs, University City would be a bad choice for you. The city neighborhoods I'd recommend to check out are East Falls, West Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill. Depending on the block, some areas of Manayunk and Roxborough could work in terms of off-street parking also.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,307 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to check out those areas when I visit next week. As far as selling the car or bike - call me stubborn but I'm pretty much set on keeping them (especially the bike since summer's right around the bend!). In hindsight though, I do have an alarm, lock, and cover for the bike to secure it, and the car is just a banged up little Honda Civic; I doubt it would catch a thief's attention. Although I don't have theft insurance on either, grr. Someone also sent me a pm recommending Manayunk, which I'll be looking into. Anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants to look into? I'm a fairly established, professional server (in CT anyway) with fine-dining experience, so I'm hoping to get hired by a place where the tips are good

Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,954,529 times
I have a bike. As long as you can chain it up no one is going to mess up with it. I live on a corner so I can push mine right into my backyard. A lot of corner properties have similar setups with backyards or garages.

It's a city so there's always a chance that someone is going to bump into your bike or car. Not much you can do about it scratches and dents but as far as vandalism goes - it's not an issue i'm familiar with. If you have an old civic i wouldn't worry too much about theft or break-ins. Just don't keep valuables in plain view.

niceguy made some good recs. Also look into other fav neighborhoods like Fairmount, NoLibs, Passyunk Square, etc. If you're going to be in hospitality you want to be close to the resturants . . .so stay close to Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: