U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 86,757 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving back to Philadelphia, more specifically, Center City after 7 years. It seems like the crime is worse now, I don't recall people getting mugging at knife or gun point in the late evening or night in Old City or other areas when I used to live there, but I'm sure there was crime.

http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia

http://philly.everyblock.com/crime/l...east/#widermap

I don't think it would be safe for my wife to walk around at night or even myself by that matter. Funny, I never worried about any of that living in Center City and West Philadelphia for 6 years in the past. Obviously one needs to be aware of ones surroundings.

What do you think?

Last edited by chauffeur; 04-26-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

8,251 posts, read 18,946,285 times
I'd be interested in the thoughts of the members here who live and/or work in Center City. Beyond the random "flash mob" incidents on Market East and South Street, there hasn't been much talk on here about a particular rise in crime downtown.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM

13 posts, read 86,757 times
check out the maps for a 1-2 month period. getting robbed by someone with a gun is but worrisome. these happen in the middle of the day and early evening.

is all this a new trend?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,327,389 times
Not really. The same things have been going on since the 60s and 70s. If anything Center City is the safest now than its been in a very long time. Isolated incidents do occur and will continue to occur until there are massive societal and lifestyle changes around here.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,896,419 times
I can't speak for Old City but the knifepoint incident at 7th and arch isn't terribly surprising, it's desolate over there. anyway, no, I think cc is safer today than it was then, and certainly before then. I think you just have more information now than you did then. my wife and I lived there for years and walked home at all times of the night. we live in a neighborhood now, but crime is probably higher here than cc. also keep in mind that there are more crimes in cc in part because there are more people than other areas.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM

521 posts, read 1,194,668 times
I looked up everyblock's Dallas web site and the crime blotter would make it seem Dallas' downtown isn't much better than Philly's either, if not worse.

I think for the density of people who live, play, and work in Center City, your chances of being victim to a crime are quite low at current rates.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,582,628 times
a lot more robberies occur then what you will find online. I know a lot of cops in cc and then tell me that most of this is kept quiet due to the fact that this is a major tourist attraction area. The bad guys know that most tourist have $$ and target this area. Just be careful, its like any other city..

Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 AM

596 posts, read 1,575,647 times
Center City is reasonably safe. Exercise "street smarts" and you'll increase your odds of not becoming a victim. Philadelphia on a whole is not considered safe, but if you plan to live/work/play in the 20 square block area of the Center City core you should be fine.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,247,892 times
Keep in mind, also, that the population of Center City and its environs has definitely increased in the past 6-7 years. It seems fairly logical and expected that with more people there would be more incidents of crime. That certainly does not mean that the crime rate is any higher, however. Like other downtowns, violent crime (i.e., not petty theft, pickpocketing, etc., which is fairly common in every downtown) is a rare anomoly in Center City.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,762,006 times
I remember looking at "neighborhood scout" website some time back. Every sunbelt city that I checked was ranked poorer than Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia