Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here gone to see the fireworks display at Longwood Gardens? I was planning on staying a few days over in Kennett Square over the July 4th weekend and Longwood Gardens was on our itinerary. My fiancee and I were planning to see the fireworks display at the Gardens but saw that they charge $38 per person for tickets separate from admission just to see the 45 min show? I guess people actually pay this?

I'm sure its a great show and everything but being around the NYC area I've paid $8 for parking so I could see the Jones Beach Fireworks Display on LI which is amazing and l saw the NYC Macy's Fireworks display over the water last year on the NJ side which was free.

Never have I heard a fireworks show costing so much! I was expecting it to include your own seating with 2 free drinks or something but no, its a non-refundable ticket in which they say to reserve your seat with a blanket or chair at 3pm...6 hrs before the show starts.

I just can't get past paying so much for a fireworks show...am I missing something about it? It amazes me how it costs more than twice the cost of a general admission ticket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times
Wow...that does sound expensive. I checked the Longwood Gardens website, and you're correct about the prices.

You probably will get more replies if you post to the Philadelphia forum. I've never been to Longwood's fireworks display, so I can't advise you.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Wow...that does sound expensive. I checked the Longwood Gardens website, and you're correct about the prices.

You probably will get more replies if you post to the Philadelphia forum. I've never been to Longwood's fireworks display, so I can't advise you.

Thanks for the reply...I actually didn't know what region this was close to. Maybe a mod can move this to the Philly subforum.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I was going to go last year but never made it. The price you quoted sounded off(?) I just had a look at the online ticketing information. It said that the fireworks ticket includes garden admission.

If you're going to just show up in time for the fireworks, that's a heck of a lot of money for something that's free (a fireworks display) to most people. If you're going to spend time at the gardens and stay for fireworks, it's a bit more reasonable. Still, it's more than twice the cost of regular admission.

Sorry that I can't give advise about the quality of the display.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 PM

154 posts, read 535,452 times
Hi mgt04:
I did go last year to the fireworks at Longwood. It definitely wasn't worth it, mainly because we were packed in like sardines. People were practically stepping on each other. And, we had to listen the whole time to some people practically yelling in our ears while the music was being played. (They pipe in music to listen to that kind of goes with the firework displays). My friend, however, did enjoy it more than I did. The actual fireworks were pretty good but I would not go back and pay for it again.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Hi mgt04:
I did go last year to the fireworks at Longwood. It definitely wasn't worth it, mainly because we were packed in like sardines. People were practically stepping on each other. And, we had to listen the whole time to some people practically yelling in our ears while the music was being played. (They pipe in music to listen to that kind of goes with the firework displays). My friend, however, did enjoy it more than I did. The actual fireworks were pretty good but I would not go back and pay for it again.
Wow packed in like sardines? On their website they state to reserve your spot with folding chairs at 3pm...nearly 6 hrs before the fireworks are slated to start. How does that work?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 18,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Has anyone here gone to see the fireworks display at Longwood Gardens? I was planning on staying a few days over in Kennett Square over the July 4th weekend and Longwood Gardens was on our itinerary. My fiancee and I were planning to see the fireworks display at the Gardens but saw that they charge $38 per person for tickets separate from admission just to see the 45 min show? I guess people actually pay this?

I'm sure its a great show and everything but being around the NYC area I've paid $8 for parking so I could see the Jones Beach Fireworks Display on LI which is amazing and l saw the NYC Macy's Fireworks display over the water last year on the NJ side which was free.

Never have I heard a fireworks show costing so much! I was expecting it to include your own seating with 2 free drinks or something but no, its a non-refundable ticket in which they say to reserve your seat with a blanket or chair at 3pm...6 hrs before the show starts.

I just can't get past paying so much for a fireworks show...am I missing something about it? It amazes me how it costs more than twice the cost of a general admission ticket!

I have never heard of Longwood Gardens fireworks. I would not pay it. There are free fireworks in the city.

I think you should make the trip to Longwood Gardens for the gardens and then go to the city for the fireworks.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM

7 posts, read 18,286 times
The city will have free fireworks and a free concert by the Goo Goo Dolls.

Event Map

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Longwood is a great place and well worth the visit for the gardens but honestly $38 sounds pricey. I have been in Philly for many years and have never heard of anyone clamoring to see specifically fireworks there.

I am sure there are many options very close by for free fireworks in the Brandywine Valley, maybe West Chester but honeslty don't know the details.

Philly is less than an hour from there and has a huge fireworks display on the parkway, plus I believe on the river Friday and Saturday night but you may want to confirm in the earlier link provided. The other nights may be a little less hectic and the fireworks on the parkway start late but are very good, probably on a scale similar to the NYC fireworks, though I can't comment with first hand experience.

Hope you enjoy the area, that part of Chester County is gorgeous!

http://welcomeamerica.com/

http://www.thebrandywine.com/

added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia