U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,961,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Funny because I am actually pro-legalization and I would personally toke up when it happens...so you FAIL in that not only will more people partake when it is legal, but lowering the price on alcohol in the stadium will have the same effect.

Nice try though, pigeonholing me like that; I'm not anti anything, you're just wrong...
nope, sorry, incorrect. nice try though. people are already drinking with some of the highest prices around. most of the so-called drunks are pre-gamers. it's like some of that consumption will move inside which is a better outcome for all. nice try using illogic though. over time, there will be no noticable impact on marijuana consumption. regular people won't all of a sudden become addicts. philadelphia already smells of pot on payday. and banning alcohol is probably the dumbest idea this side of prohibition. you think pregaming is bad now, wait until you can buy alcohol inside the stadium. your theories have been failure so far, it's time to try something new, liberalization.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

34 posts, read 121,637 times
Doesn't every sports team have fans who drink too much? I've heard Philly fans can get a little rambuchcious (spelling?) but it's not like Phila. sports fans are the only ones who drink a lot. I'm not a sports fan so I really wouldn't know how bad it is but I've seen some crazy people tailgating before the game and then partying after the game on tv from other sports team and they didn't look sober to me. What makes you think that Philadelphia sports fans are any worst? Weren't there a few riots in other cities after a game with a bunch of drunks setting things to fire and stuff like that? Has Philly had any of those?
I really don't know. I'm just curious as to why the OP would think Philly would be the worst. ???

Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,086,165 times
I believe there was a shooting in Mayfair when the Phillies won - major riot in the streets there.

Mardi Gras has been a nightmare downtown and slowly but surely phased out.

People who have their homes urinated on and trashed dread the St. Patty's Day bar buses in Mayfair.

And where else has Santa been hit with snowballs with batteries in them or a family purposely been puked on...I have seen some crazy ****e, most of it perpetrated by my friends so I can only imagine what goes on in the rest of the stadium(s) on game day.

Philly is a rough city with a bad attitude and chronic low level depression - drinking is the way people self medicate and they do it early and often...

You want denial, check this out: 9 Terrible Philly Fan Incidents ... And Their Harmless Explanations on Sports Pickle

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
nope, sorry, incorrect. nice try though. people are already drinking with some of the highest prices around. most of the so-called drunks are pre-gamers. it's like some of that consumption will move inside which is a better outcome for all. nice try using illogic though. over time, there will be no noticable impact on marijuana consumption. regular people won't all of a sudden become addicts. philadelphia already smells of pot on payday. and banning alcohol is probably the dumbest idea this side of prohibition. you think pregaming is bad now, wait until you can buy alcohol inside the stadium. your theories have been failure so far, it's time to try something new, liberalization.
Wha? If they are shnockered BEFORE admittance, they don't get in - get it?

And as for marijuana use, if it's legal, and companies and parole officers stop testing for it, you don't think more people who abstain will no longer do so?

Give me a break already.

UBERFAIL!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:51 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,880,598 times
Quote:
Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville...sorry I haven't been to games anywhere else!
People don't tailgate for baseball in most cities. The stadiums are also mostly empty.

Last edited by jimmyev; 05-13-2010 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: []

Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 AM

22 posts, read 34,991 times
Quote:
Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville
Have you been to the Florida/Georgia game? World's biggest cocktail party ring a bell? No one parties for Jags games because they don't care about the Jags... And Baltimore really? All the Balitmorons (and I use the term lovingly) decked out in purple all over Fed Hill are definitely having a pretty good time.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helo-flyer View Post
Have you been to the Florida/Georgia game? World's biggest cocktail party ring a bell? No one parties for Jags games because they don't care about the Jags... And Baltimore really? All the Balitmorons (and I use the term lovingly) decked out in purple all over Fed Hill are definitely having a pretty good time.
That's right, they're having a good time. Not harassing women. Not fighting the other team's fans or each other. Not littering and urinating in public. Not puking on kids. Or dropping the N-word. Or talking about raping a player's mother. Baltimore has a huge party outside the stadium and it's clean, orderly; they have upscale bar and restaurant booths. Everyone gets along and you can buy pounders dirt cheap. People understand how to have a good time in moderation.

Philly fans have a bad attitude and a desire to get as 'faced as possible and into as much trouble as possible. Alcohol inside the stadium just fans the flames of the small brush fire started in the parking lot.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 121,637 times
Quote:
I believe there was a shooting in Mayfair when the Phillies won - major riot in the streets there.

Mardi Gras has been a nightmare downtown and slowly but surely phased out.

People who have their homes urinated on and trashed dread the St. Patty's Day bar buses in Mayfair.

And where else has Santa been hit with snowballs with batteries in them or a family purposely been puked on...I have seen some crazy ****e, most of it perpetrated by my friends so I can only imagine what goes on in the rest of the stadium(s) on game day.

Philly is a rough city with a bad attitude and chronic low level depression - drinking is the way people self medicate and they do it early and often...

You want denial, check this out: 9 Terrible Philly Fan Incidents ... And Their Harmless Explanations on Sports Pickle
Lol, okay. That does sound pretty bad. Thanks for the information. Good to know.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:22 PM

42,762 posts, read 47,605,329 times
They do need to stop the tailgating which in my own opinion is just dumb. Who the heck started this? Oh I know the conglomerates of big time companies selling the beer, making a load off of idiots whom do this.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

615 posts, read 478,064 times
I don't think the problem is alcohol, but the people doing the drinking. I used to frequent bars in the city but stop going to them mid 2009. I never had any real issues like fist fights, but I just can't stand being around the average drinker in this city. There is too many people drinking way more then they can handle, and that is the problem. The tailgating scene is pretty stupid too, I have no problem with people enjoying themselves with a few drinks before the game, but the lets drink to get blind drunk before the game is just going to cause problems. I've never understood the enjoyment of getting blind drunk in public, I was raised to look down upon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: