Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

43 posts, read 138,421 times

Advertisements

moving to Doylestown area
Looking into Doylestown as a place to relocate... We were originally looking around West Chester, but didn't LOVE the towns. It seems Doylestown is really what we are looking for so far. I wouldn't mind living outside of it for land and stuff.
Schools are THE MOST important part of where we will live.
My one concern is the jail?? it looks like it is right in town. Can someone tell me what they think about the jail being in town? or does it just go unnoticed most of the time?
I would consider other areas too, so please feel free to recommend!

When are you moving? approx. 1 year
Where are you coming from? Eastern Long Island
Why are you moving? need a change of pace, husband retired
Where will you be working? hair salon (wife)
Have you been here yet? no, coming memorial weekend

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house, up to $650k

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 3 children
Do you prefer public or private schools? public schools
Do you have pets? 1 dog
Do you want or need a yard? want a big yard!!!!
Are you keeping a car? yes, 3 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? it doesn't matter
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? prefer similar people to us

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? LOL, don't care, just like to go see a game once and a while!!! ( don't show my friends) :-)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...#ixzz0nXf17ulO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM

43 posts, read 158,607 times
Jail?? What jail? I've lived in Doylestown for 4 years now, only a mile from the center of town and no idea what jail you mean? I think there is an abandoned one in town but that is empty and is only there as a historic landmark I believe. There is virtually no crime in this town so I think you can stop worrying!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM

I guess it is a correctional facility. I spoke to a realtor about it, she said it is like a holding place or short sentence correctional facility.
Not worried, was just curious!!
thanks for the quick replys!!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,137 times
Doylestown is a great town, vibrant with restaurants and shops. Great community feel to the town. You can get an older home or a McMansion depending on what your taste is. It feels a little remote to Philly, but it sounds like that is not a big deal to you.

what town will you/your family be working, or is it that still TBD? That would play into whether or not Doylestown is an option.

I know Eastern LI very well, is there a town on Eastern LI that you are looking to replicate out here?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

My family who is moving consists of Myself ( a hair stylist), My husband (retired, on disability) and our 3 kids under 7.
I will be the only one working, so I just need to find a good hair salon (which is usually not a problem)
Other then that it doesn't matter where we live as long as it is safe, has good schools and stuff to do within driving for our kids. We are really home body's and like to entertain at home and play with the kids at home in the yard.
We are moving from the Hamptons...... so replicating it in a way with open space and small towns.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktljjt View Post
My family who is moving consists of Myself ( a hair stylist), My husband (retired, on disability) and our 3 kids under 7.
I will be the only one working, so I just need to find a good hair salon (which is usually not a problem)
Other then that it doesn't matter where we live as long as it is safe, has good schools and stuff to do within driving for our kids. We are really home body's and like to entertain at home and play with the kids at home in the yard.
We are moving from the Hamptons...... so replicating it in a way with open space and small towns.
gotcha.

I am very familiar with the North and South Forks, and I can tell you that parts of Bucks County actually remind me a bit of Eastern LI (nice green areas, some farm stands, similar housing stock, etc).

again, Doylestown and the surrounding areas are a great option, very family friendly with good schools. Central Montgomery County may be a way to go as well (Montgomeryville, Lansdale, Blue Bell, Ambler, Maple Glen, Harleysville, Skippack). Lansdale, Ambler & Skippack all have "main street" towns, with Lansdale and Ambler being potential less expensive options than Doylestown.

Feel free to send me a private message for any info.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 80,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
gotcha.

again, Doylestown and the surrounding areas are a great option, very family friendly with good schools. Central Montgomery County may be a way to go as well (Montgomeryville, Lansdale, Blue Bell, Ambler, Maple Glen, Harleysville, Skippack). Lansdale, Ambler & Skippack all have "main street" towns, with Lansdale and Ambler being potential less expensive options than Doylestown.
I would add Sellersville, Perkasie, and Souderton to that list. All family oriented towns with good school districts and less expensive than Doylestown. However, it looks like you could afford a fairly nice home in Doylestown within your $650,000 price range. You must have done well in life to be able to afford a mortgage like that on one salary. Good for you

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,544 times
Yeah it's definitely not a jail - it's where they hold the people who are awaiting trial at the courthouse Nothing to worry about!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 AM

203 posts, read 597,072 times
Actually it is a jail. It's called bucks county prison and it's the main county prison. However it isn't anywhere near the heart of doylestown and has never been a problem or even an eyesore. They really don't have very hard core criminals there. Just a bunch of morons from the Levittown/Bristol area who like being stupid. As far as schools go Doylestown is an excellent choice. Everybody in the Doylestown area seems to really appreciate the town a lot and you really don't hear people complain about the area. I wouldn't be concerned about the prison one bit as it really isn't in the heart of the community as you stated. Dolylestown is a really good pick and that's coming from somebody who knows all of bucks county really well.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 AM

203 posts, read 597,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
Yeah it's definitely not a jail - it's where they hold the people who are awaiting trial at the courthouse Nothing to worry about!
It's also a place they send people after they've had their trial. They house inmates there and most stay for a year or more. I do agree it's nothing to worry about though. Its never been a problem and you don't even notice its there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia