Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

I would check out Craigs list - maybe you can see a few places - those names will be common for listings - also Prufoxroach has a good realty site that you can enter the center city neighborhoods for rentals - maybe also check out phillyapartment.com

The Art Museum area covers the area from Spring Garden to Girard and 19th to 26ish
Northern Liberties is also from Spring Garden to Girard and Front to 5th or 6th - Fishtown sits directly North of Northern Liberties - all these are on the North side of Downtown - Honestly Northern Liberties may be the most lively for a 25 yo

I would also check out the are in Rittenhouse - the most lively neighborhood in philly and also Fitler Sq and Graduate Hospital - if you can spend a day/night in each area even check out some of the scene to get a night time feel - if you have some specific questions you can send me a direct message

Hope you enjoy and welcome to philly

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:02 PM

42 posts, read 129,352 times
Hey laurenlouise--

I've actually lived in both Philly and Boston. What is it you like about Somerville and Brooklyn, exactly? That would give me a better idea of which direction to point you in. I would actually recommend checking out West Philly if you like having a little more green space and detached Victorian houses. West Philly is not as busy and is less urban than Center City, but if this is what you like about Somerville and Brookline, you may find that aspect appealing.

The area around University City has plenty of amenities, with cafes and bookstores, etc. (You have to be willing to put up with Penn and Drexel students, but coming from Boston, it shouldn't be a big problem!). I lived in the Cedar Park neighborhood for a while -- Cedar Park and Walnut Hill are good options, as long as you don't go too far west. You can get into Center City quickly and easily on the subway via Market Street.

Also, depending on your age group and nightlife preferences, Mount Airy may or may not be an area you want to consider. I wouldn't recommend it for someone in their early to mid 20s, and there's definitely not a whole lot going on there in terms of a bar scene. But it's a beautiful and really diverse neighborhood that I'd recommend if you're looking for some place residential and low-key. You would really need a car in this neighborhood, however.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Jenkintown, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, NE philly or Hatboro would probably suit you best. Jekintown/glenside/ abington etc. are all essentially the same place by many different names.

I wouldn't really suggest the city for someone who is new to the area. Parking is expensive, traffic will make you start snappin, and its bordered by N. Philly, W.Philly. S.Philly, and SW Philly(If you don't know about those places yet............you will learn about them shortly after moving here). However, ride around and see what your getting yourself into, it might be for you.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 05-17-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Don't forget if you live in the city and work in Abington, you will have to pay the wage tax. Consider Jenkintown, Glenside, Ambler. The city is just a train ride away when you "need" it and you can have the smaller town feel, with shops and walkability in the areas around Abington.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would check out Craigs list - maybe you can see a few places - those names will be common for listings - also Prufoxroach has a good realty site that you can enter the center city neighborhoods for rentals - maybe also check out phillyapartment.com

The Art Museum area covers the area from Spring Garden to Girard and 19th to 26ish
Northern Liberties is also from Spring Garden to Girard and Front to 5th or 6th - Fishtown sits directly North of Northern Liberties - all these are on the North side of Downtown - Honestly Northern Liberties may be the most lively for a 25 yo

I would also check out the are in Rittenhouse - the most lively neighborhood in philly and also Fitler Sq and Graduate Hospital - if you can spend a day/night in each area even check out some of the scene to get a night time feel - if you have some specific questions you can send me a direct message

Hope you enjoy and welcome to philly

Good Luck
actually, spring garden is the neighborhood bounded by the museum, spring garden st, fairmount ave, and broad st. the art museum area certainly is not cut off at 19th, esp when considering ads. the area from 19th to broad, fairmount to spring garden might be a particularly good fit in this case. as mentioned, it's a straight shot up 611 and leaves open an easy SEPTA commute.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenlouise37 View Post
Kidphilly- that is a great idea about finding similar neighborhoods!

Does anyone know both Philly and Boston pretty well? I am looking for something similar to Somerville or Brookline. Is there anything like that around Philly?
Welcome to the area in advance!

Coincidentally, I just visited Brookline over the weekend. It actually reminded me of parts of Lower Merion Township. More specifically, communities like Ardmore, Narberth, Overbroook and Wynnewood may be what you're looking for (Upper Darby in Delaware County is what really could be compared to a place like Brookline in terms of development style, although the socioeconomic demographics are quite a bit different). The only issue is, communiting to Abington from those areas may be a bit hectic, although that depends on your route (one should avoid the Schuylkill Expressway, if at all possible).

Otherwise, the suggestions of Jenkintown and Ambler as more traditional, "main street" suburbs would be closer to Abington.

Good luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 05-18-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM

27 posts, read 26,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
There are 4 ways to get from Center City to AMH. All of them will take you 30-40 minutes. The first, of course, is to drive. I was a vendor at AMH for a few months and drove just about everyday. It's gets tedious because of all of the lights and 15mph "school zone" speed limits but there are certainly worse commutes.

The second is to take the R3 train up to Noble and switch to the 55 bus. The third is to take the express subway up to Olney and catch the 55 bus. The 4th is to take the R2 train up to Roslyn station and walk. It's about a 15 minute walk to the hospital. You'll just have to check the schedules to see which one works best for you. If it were me I would buy a POS bike and keep it locked up at Roslyn and for the bad weather days I'd take the subway to the 55.

Jenkintown is also a good option. It's a short drive and also a short ride on the 55.

In case you haven't figured it out yet the 55 runs up and down 611 (aka Old York Rd) from where the subway ends at Broad & Olney all the way up to Doylestown. It runs every 5-10 minutes during rush hour and every 20 minutes the rest of the day. It's a 15 minute ride from Olney to AMH and the subway ride from Broad & Walnut up to Olney is 18 minutes.

Most people would consider Roslyn to AMH too far to walk. From Easton Road to York along Susquehanna road it is about a mile and then a half mile north on York.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagliacci View Post
Most people would consider Roslyn to AMH too far to walk. From Easton Road to York along Susquehanna road it is about a mile and then a half mile north on York.
That's true...especially as Susquehanna Road is on a rather hilly incline heading towards Old York Road. Taking the R3 train to Noble - or R2 to Willow Grove - and then hopping back on the corresponding #55 bus to the hospital.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That's true...especially as Susquehanna Road is on a rather hilly incline heading towards Old York Road. Taking the R3 train to Noble - or R2 to Willow Grove - and then hopping back on the corresponding #55 bus to the hospital.
While SEPTA is one of the nations better public transportation systems, I would suggest owning a car, unless you live and work near the sub or el(which for you is not the case).

Greater Abington is served mainly by the 55 and 22 buses, and a myriad of commuter rail stations, but braving the elements to utilize them can be a real pain in the @ss.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagliacci View Post
Well, first, even if you did walk that way it would only be a mile. But no one who worked at the hospital would go that way. You would cross Susquehanna near the train station, walk up Tyson or Edge Hill (or any of those side streets) to Horace and enter the hospital on Highland Ave. . . saving yourself 5 minutes of walking in the process.

Like I said, I was a vendor there so I had to drive most days but I did take the train at least twice a month. The walk is 15 minutes. Far for most people in the suburbs who drive everywhere but for someone coming from Boston it shouldn't be a big deal. I suggested it because, depending on what time the OP has to get work it might save more time to take the R2 and walk as opposed to taking a train and a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia