Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM

119 posts, read 613,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Your unconstructive post highlights how low is your IQ, social and investing level,

There will always be investors ready to purchase properties in Philly, ans any town in US,

Some of them, I admit, may be only concren on cash
some other try to respect the area,
Attack on my IQ and the title of your thread is "If you were to buy a house in Philly,Where that would be?"

"Where would that be?" is probably what your looking for. . .

Anyway, sorry if my post wasn't constructive or flattering, but it's the truth.
You might have good intentions but your not from here and I'm guessing that you don't live here. You have a minimal amount of money to invest which means one of few things.

1) You'll purchase a decent house in a decent neighborhood but will lack the funds to put the proper work into it and it will fall apart and take all the houses on the street with it or,
2) You'll buy a craphole in a crappy neighborhood, continue the trend and offer nothing positive to an area that doesn't need another slum lord.
3) Or a combination of the two.

Also being your not from here you'll have no loyalty to where ever you make an "investment" and your 90 miles away. So you'll never be around to fix your dilapidated dump or address the scum you'll put into your property.

I apologize if I sound blunt and rude. But we have a big problem with out of state absentee slumlords, particularly those from NYC.

Maybe you can prove me wrong but Oxerford Circle, Castor Gardens, Summerdale, Wissonoming, Frankford, and a bunch of others prove I'm right.

As a home owner and a true Philadelphian please stay away.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-20-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM

34 posts, read 127,787 times
If they only have 60 grand to spend that means he's probably looking for section 8 tenants he can rent to- do minimal repairs to the house and not care how the tenants effect the neighbors.
The people who defend him and welcome his money are the ones who don't have to live anywhere around these renters he rents to as the house he owns falls apart, draws roaches and mice as trash piles up in the back yard and for good measure-there will also be one or more backyard dogs that are left out in the yard all day and night being neglected.
What the heck do they care-a bunch of sell outs.
They'd sing a different tune if the OP were to buy a house and rent it out next to where they lived in a second.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut206 View Post
If they only have 60 grand to spend that means he's probably looking for section 8 tenants he can rent to- do minimal repairs to the house and not care how the tenants effect the neighbors.
The people who defend him and welcome his money are the ones who don't have to live anywhere around these renters he rents to as the house he owns falls apart, draws roaches and mice as trash piles up in the back yard and for good measure-there will also be one or more backyard dogs that are left out in the yard all day and night being neglected.
What the heck do they care-a bunch of sell outs.
They'd sing a different tune if the OP were to buy a house and rent it out next to where they lived in a second.

I know the truth, you know the truth and even those that defend him know the truth. Go back and read his posts. Moderator CutDo you really think he gives a fly'n fart about OUR quality of life?

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-20-2010 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM

77 posts, read 367,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Attack on my IQ and the title of your thread is "If you were to buy a house in Philly,Where that would be?"

"Where would that be?" is probably what your looking for. . .

Anyway, sorry if my post wasn't constructive or flattering, but it's the truth.
You might have good intentions but your not from here and I'm guessing that you don't live here. You have a minimal amount of money to invest which means one of few things.

1) You'll purchase a decent house in a decent neighborhood but will lack the funds to put the proper work into it and it will fall apart and take all the houses on the street with it or,
2) You'll buy a craphole in a crappyneighborhood, continue the trend and offer nothing positive to an area that doesn't need another slum lord.
3) Or a combination of the two.

Also being your not from here you'll have no loyalty to where ever you make an "investment" and your 90 miles away. So you'll never be around to fix your dilapidated dump or address the scum you'll put into your property.

I apologize if I sound blunt and rude. But we have a big problem with out of state absentee slumlords, particularly those from NYC.

Maybe you can prove me wrong but Oxerford Circle, Castor Gardens, Summerdale, Wissonoming, Frankford, and a bunch of others prove I'm right.

As a home owner and a true Philadelphian please stay away.

I still don't see the point Slickvic, regarding your loyalty concern,

If an investor associates with a responsible management company, and follow up, come to
check on the property every month, that is loyalty:
loyalty to your own asset and loyalty to the surrounding people

Seriously, where is the problem? Is it a NY-Philly competition thing?
Maybe..
Anyway, all I want to do is build some wealth, we work hard just like you guys;

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-20-2010 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: bold = edited from previous quote

Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I still don't see the point Slickvic, regarding your loyalty concern,

If an investor associates with a responsible management company, and follow up, come to
check on the property every month, that is loyalty:
loyalty to your own asset and loyalty to the surrounding people

Seriously, where is the problem? Is it a NY-Philly competition thing?
Maybe..
Anyway, all I want to do is build some wealth, we work hard just like you guys;

You could be from mars for all I care. The bottom line is you guy's from NYC have bought an awful lot of property down here and treated it like a toilet.
You wanna build some wealth? Why not do it in your own town? Philadelphia is not your back yard and it's not a ghetto. But the neighborhoods that have turned to $hit over the past 10-15 years got NYC finger prints all over them.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM

39 posts, read 159,063 times
Quote:
Hi,

Im from NY

I want to make an investment and buy a property in Philly to be rented out,

I know there are areas that are so and so and areas that are ok:

I mean where is the area where you tenant LIKELY will pay the rent, an area where housing prices are affordable, and you feel safe

pls advice

thanks
60K sure doesn't get you what it did in the 90's when Philly and the middle class burbs had true steals. If you use it as a down payment and want the tenant to pay the mortgage, you could get a, say, 150,000 house in far NE Philly or possibly poorer Mt Airy (still decent), charge 1000-1300 a month, and pocket the difference. If you want to go the Section 8 route, you could get a fixer upper or auction house in North, South, Southwest, or West Philly. West (near U City) and Southwest (Penrose, near U City also) Philly are parts where renters w/o Section 8 would likely pay, if you can find a fixer upper to buy and renovate. Actually, the auction may be able to land you a house 60K in one of Philly's better parts if your lucky, it might be your best option.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM

hey oneblock, just so you don't think I'm nuts and picking on you. Here's an interesting article. I suggest you read it so you know where I'm coming from.

Neighborhoods battle absentee landlords (part 1 of 2) « Features « Magazine « NEast Philly

Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
to the original post, i was going to suggest old city. but $60k? lol

there may be something in camden

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
are you planning on renting it as section 8 or to college students?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM

77 posts, read 367,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57thandMalcolm View Post
60K sure doesn't get you what it did in the 90's when Philly and the middle class burbs had true steals. If you use it as a down payment and want the tenant to pay the mortgage, you could get a, say, 150,000 house in far NE Philly or possibly poorer Mt Airy (still decent), charge 1000-1300 a month, and pocket the difference. If you want to go the Section 8 route, you could get a fixer upper or auction house in North, South, Southwest, or West Philly. West (near U City) and Southwest (Penrose, near U City also) Philly are parts where renters w/o Section 8 would likely pay, if you can find a fixer upper to buy and renovate. Actually, the auction may be able to land you a house 60K in one of Philly's better parts if your lucky, it might be your best option.
Wonderful response 57thandMalcom! This is the answer I was waiting for.

Regarding the doubts of Slickvick: I really dont care your generalizations:
there are good and bad landolords. from the outside you can't say If the owner is a NYker or A Philly one.

if NY investors toileted those Phlly houses then why don't you buy them yourself? and remember, the blame has to be shared between landlord and tenants(wich are Philadelphians.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia