Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM

114 posts, read 342,663 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a suburb of Pittsburgh (Plum Boro). We are NJ natives, 3 years ago, we took advantage of selling high in NJ, and buying low(er) here. Hubby commutes around the whole northeast 5 days a week, so we are looking to be more centrally located to the northeast. A major airport is a must, hopefully Harrisburg(no Phili!). I am very interest in the York area-Dover, Red Lion etc. Here is a run down of what we are looking for:
-Decent home prices...200,000.00 or less for a 3/2.5

-under 1.5 hour commute to the airport, and how is the airport?

-Our property taxes are pretty steep here, 5000.00 for county and school on a 189,000.00 house, we'd like to lower that a bit.

-No city tax. (Not to be confused with the Earned income tax that we all pay)

-Within 20-25 mins of York Country Day school.

-A town with a more quaint feel...here the town is 30 sq. miles with no 'town center'. I would like more 'rural' than 'suburban', although I am not opposed to the 'burbs.

The big question...is this doable?? I really love central PA and think it would be a great place to settle!!

Thanks for any info........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
Hemingway, I would suggest that you move your post over to the general PA forum. The Philadelphia area doesn't include central PA. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:27 AM

18 posts, read 111,658 times
oil city pa not that far from anything

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM

60 posts, read 374,616 times
Hemingway;

Red Lion has all of the things you mentioned above. Central town square where many activities take place (Haloween parage where people line the streets and the kids parade).

You could buy new in certain areas around Red Lion for that price, not to mention older homes.

BWI is about an hour and 10 minutes from there no traffic. Harrisburg is even closer, but I have no personal experience there.

Taxes are lower by 1000, to 1500 depending on area. I specifically live in Windsor boro which borders Red Lion to the east and Dover to the north. Although I can see all of Red Lion from my property as Red Lion proper is not that big.

Specifically my neighborhood is a newer community. Phase I built in 03, 04. Phase 2 built in 05, 06. There are many who are moving out of that neighborhood, so I would check there. It is called Chatham Creek by Keystone Custom Homes

If you like water, it is a 15 minute drive to the launches at Long Level on the Susquehanna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia