Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are looking to move out of our apartment and buy our first house. We currently live in Bensalem, but are debating on whether to buy around here or move south of the city.

We are young, 29 and 25, with no kids (yet) looking for a safe place to live. My husband works in Aston and currently drives there daily via 95. I work in Newark, NJ but only drive there once or twice a week via route 1.

We can probably only afford around 200,000-250,00 (prefer the lower side) and want a single family home, not condo, townhouse, or rowhome.

Which cities would people recommend to look at?

Does anyone live south of the city and drive towards Newark that can let me know how bad traffic really would be?

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM

118 posts, read 283,777 times
I think if you go south of the city your commute will be impossible if you are driving. The only hope would be to take the train, and that would be at least 2 hrs. I currently have a client who makes the commute from East Falls to Manhattan and she is worn out already - just doing it for one year!

Your best bets will be affordability along the Route 1/I 95 corridor. There are many, many great townhomes in Neshaminy Valley that would fit into your price point. Lots of space, most have been recently re-done as the older folks move out and younger folks move in, etc. This is a great first home venue. Also, there are some sections of Lower Makefield (Yardley area) which have a Morrisville address but are not in the borough that could be a possibility for you as well. Middletown Twp. will also offer you lots of possibilities (Langhorne area) for a small single or possible townhome. You have options. Take advantage of them and take your landlord off the payroll!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM

43 posts, read 158,592 times
Man, why the heck did you wait until after the tax credit expired??

Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM

118 posts, read 283,777 times
Waiting until after the tax credit expired could be a good thing. Prices are now F A L L I N G.

Actually, this is the first time in 38 years that home prices are down and rates are down at the same time. During the stimulus rebate prices were actually escalating. The reduced price will make up for the loss of the tax credit, in my opinion

Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,350 times
How about Fairless Hills or Levittown? Very close to where you are now so you'd be familiar with the commute times.. You can easily get a single family home in either town for 200k.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM

43 posts, read 158,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmxcarol View Post
Waiting until after the tax credit expired could be a good thing. Prices are now F A L L I N G.

Actually, this is the first time in 38 years that home prices are down and rates are down at the same time. During the stimulus rebate prices were actually escalating. The reduced price will make up for the loss of the tax credit, in my opinion
Thats really bad news for the sellers out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia