Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM

90 posts, read 130,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post

I remember there was a private pool in YEADON of all places that refused memberships to neighborhood blacks as late as the early 1990s. When changing demographics meant it's business model was unsustainable, the club simply shut itself down.

Interesting...and sad.

I live in Havertown and I looked around for local swim clubs....keeping certain races out seems like a priority for some (Can only apply if recommended by a current member, etc).

I go to the Haverford YMCA now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Interesting...and sad.

I live in Havertown and I looked around for local swim clubs....keeping certain races out seems like a priority for some (Can only apply if recommended by a current member, etc).

AFAIK, Aronimink (swim club, not country club) isn't race-restricted.

Quote:
Because public pools would be paid for with tax dollars, Delaware county was a republican stronghold for a very long time (still is really, despite voters being slightly more democratic) and republicans tend to frown on taxes?

To an equal extent, you could probably also look back at the creation of white only private swim clubs in white-flight suburbs in the middle of last century as a reaction to public pools in the city that required minorities to be admitted entry. Delco isn't an exception here, many of your private clubs date back to this era.

I remember there was a private pool in YEADON of all places that refused memberships to neighborhood blacks as late as the early 1990s. When changing demographics meant it's business model was unsustainable, the club simply shut itself down.

It's still there, though abandoned.
Interesting about the Yeadon Swim Club. I'm guessing my (Jewish) cousins who lived there in the '50s and '60s wouldn't have been welcome there either. Was it Waspy? Ethnic Catholic?

Searching for the Yeadon Swim Club also led me to the (still-extant) Nile Swim Club, the black counterpart, which seems to have had a far more illustrious and significant history.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Because public pools would be paid for with tax dollars, Delaware county was a republican stronghold for a very long time (still is really, despite voters being slightly more democratic) and republicans tend to frown on taxes?

To an equal extent, you could probably also look back at the creation of white only private swim clubs in white-flight suburbs in the middle of last century as a reaction to public pools in the city that required minorities to be admitted entry. Delco isn't an exception here, many of your private clubs date back to this era.

It's still there, though abandoned.
That's why the black middle class people who moved, from W. Philly, to Yeadon in the 50's and 60's created their swim club, The Nile. It was very successful for quite a while.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Interesting...and sad.

Havertown stayed 100% white for decades. So what ever diversity you see there now is recent.

I went to Haverford Twp schools, as did my sister, my mother, aunts and assorted cousins.

Nothing, to this day, would get me to live there.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Havertown stayed 100% white for decades. So what ever diversity you see there now is recent.

I went to Haverford Twp schools, as did my sister, my mother, aunts and assorted cousins.

Nothing, to this day, would get me to live there.
You don't like Haverford?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Interesting about the Yeadon Swim Club. I'm guessing my (Jewish) cousins who lived there in the '50s and '60s wouldn't have been welcome there either. Was it Waspy? Ethnic Catholic?
I wouldn't know, they never let me in there.

Quote:
Searching for the Yeadon Swim Club also led me to the (still-extant) Nile Swim Club, the black counterpart, which seems to have had a far more illustrious and significant history.
Yes, the Nile is still there and quite active last I recall. They've had some financial trouble recently but I can't see them going out of business anytime soon.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Didn't Aronimink Country Club in Newtown Square have race issues as late as the 80s? That is may be more understandable given the people that go there are rich and waspy and white.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You don't like Haverford?
Havertown, PA (19083) is not Haverford, PA(19041).

Only a portion of Haverford is in Haveford Twp, while all Havertown is in Haverford Twp.

Haverford has had a small population of black people living in it for over a century.

Havertown had no black people living in it until recently.

I grew up in Haverford, as did my mother(who arrived there as a baby in 1916) her sisters and two of my cousins.

What do I think about Haverford? It bored me mostly once I became an adult. Still does. I'm a city person through and through.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't know, they never let me in there.

Yes, the Nile is still there and quite active last I recall. They've had some financial trouble recently but I can't see them going out of business anytime soon.
Well, that's great to hear! Tbh, I had not kept up with its current situation.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 AM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Didn't Aronimink Country Club in Newtown Square have race issues as late as the 80s? That is may be more understandable given the people that go there are rich and waspy and white.
The country club is probably still judenrein, though they surely have a token racial minority or two in order to host PGA tournaments. I played the golf course once and wasn't all that impressed. I think nearby (and non-discriminatory) Rolling Green has a much better layout.

As previously stated, Aronimink Swim Club is a totally separate entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia