Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have seen for years - black pride, asian pride, red pride even gay pride.
As soon as you say white pride you are labeled a racist.

Yes, that is very true. Whites aren't allowed to have a culture beyond hot dogs and baked beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't understand what anti-PC people mean when they say they're anti-PC. Back in the 90s, political correctness was the "people first, description second" sort of language, like "woman of color" or "sight-challenged" instead of blind. Today, people who rail about PC-ness just seem to want to be jerks without being criticized for it. People are going to be offended no matter what you do, but it's not necessary to try to be deliberately offensive.

If someone is truly blind, and cannot see, they are not "sight challenged"...seeing is not a challenging event. They cannot see at all.

Now, some have very limited eyesight.

Calling them "sight challenged" is nothing positive. Just words. If you gave them an operation so they had vision, or better vision, that would be "positive".

Old 07-17-2011, 02:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
I don't understand. I think that Western society accepts that any opinion is acceptable.
Then please explain your topic.
You're contradicting yourself.

Go ahead and hate whoever you like. Hopefully, it won't affect me; but hatred has a way of hurting a lot of people.
It hurts the person who hates (bigots) most of all.
Don't complain when people point it out. After all, you wouldn't want them to be PC.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:18 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If someone is truly blind, and cannot see, they are not "sight challenged"...seeing is not a challenging event. They cannot see at all.

Now, some have very limited eyesight.

Calling them "sight challenged" is nothing positive. Just words. If you gave them an operation so they had vision, or better vision, that would be "positive".
George Carlin has a bit where he talks about words and the subtle power that slightly modifying a word or two...... how the whole subtext and be slightly slanted.

A perfect example is calling illegal aliens immigrants.

Takes the negative spin off of it doesn't it, or at least it tries to.........

Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Bigotry is hatred. It has nothing to do with PC - other than it is considered ignorant to spout bigoted hatred.

People have biases and preferences and bigoted tendencies . . . it might serve to investigate the origins . . . were these ideas handed down from ancestors? Do they serve you in your current life? Are they in line with your values (example: "Christians" who hate atheists, gay people, abortion doctors, whatever) . . .

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 62,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then please explain your topic.
You're contradicting yourself.

Go ahead and hate whoever you like. Hopefully, it won't affect me; but hatred has a way of hurting a lot of people.
It hurts the person who hates (bigots) most of all.
Don't complain when people point it out. After all, you wouldn't want them to be PC.
I lived for much in my life in a Western society, and we think that whilst bigotry is wrong, we have a right to be so. I don't hate anybody, but I have biases as do all persons.

I simply think differently. I simply believe that if we in the West value a free society, then this extends to what we can believe or adhere to. I don't think we should ban opinions (for one, what defines a good opinion/belief)?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
Shouldn't this be in a Debates Forum? Because this has nothing to do with relationships. Just sayn.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
It's a fine line between being PC and being concerned with the ethical treatment of people who are not like you.

To me, the line gets crossed when someone who takes such pride in his or her piety that they cannot suppress the desire to parse every word that comes out your mouth and then lecture you on how they interpreted what you said.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Shouldn't this be in a Debates Forum? Because this has nothing to do with relationships. Just sayn.
Not at all. This forum is about people interacting with one another.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
I submit a motion to move this thread to the political forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy