Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,002 times

Advertisements

This sums it up pretty much!

George Carlin on Religion and God - YouTube

(fyi, there is some bad language in here, its not PG rated, if you dont like to hear bad words, don't click the link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Interesting way to look at it.
Indoctrination plays a huge role in the widespread belief in "God". Without childhood indoctrination, there'd be very few people who believed in "God".
I don't really believe that personally. I think looking for something greater than ourselves or searching for what makes the world tick is in our DNA, with or without parents/authorities, etc..

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times
I believe in God, i just don't like him. He just lets so much bad stuff happen and puts all kinds of restrictive rules on people. I definitely BELIEVE that a God exists, but i think he's sitting up there on a power trip just messing with our heads. I don't think he's as benevolent as people make him out to be.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Have you ever looked through a large telescope at the night sky? Have you ever looked through a microscope and observed the huge numbers of infinitely small creatures in a drop of water? Either one of these experiences SHOULD convince you that there is an intelligence far beyond mere mortal man at work in the Universe. That is NOT a religious statement, just a logical conclusion. The next step in the process is to give the creator of all that a name. That is GOD.

GL2

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Isn't this subject exactly what that book The Belief Instinct is about? The psychology of why people possibly belief in a diety or dieties? (I only read the opening sample chapters, but the gist is that the author, an atheist, thinks that belief was an evolutionary tool).

Anyway, I do believe because of certain experiences, as someone else mentioned, but I have tried NOT to believe. I think life is easier if you can NOT believe.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I believe there is a GOD, I also believe that everything that has been written about GOD was written by men for theiir own purposes.
I like this, Boompa. I think that makes sense. Most religions are humans trying to explain God. None of them gets it right.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Interesting way to look at it.
Indoctrination plays a huge role in the widespread belief in "God". Without childhood indoctrination, there'd be very few people who believed in "God".
How so? Then where did it start? And why does it persist even after adulthood, even after one has questioned the existance of God as an intelligent adult and still finds reason to believe. Yes, yes, I know the general rhetoric about people inventing gods to explain natural phenomena. Understood, 101, skip past the basics please. What about that indescribable "thing", that connection with something greater that some of us feel? Where does that come from? It is beyond childhood indoctrination.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
can we make a philosophy/philosopher into God?
What you CAN do is to attribute the revelation of that philosophy to a god. Thereby meeting the litmus test of a Religion.

By the way, here, to me, is where the reason breaks down.. When people tell me that Jesus loves me and I should love Him, an agreed-upon definition of Love is implicit in that adoration. But then they tell me that God is all loving and is the cause of all things, and I look around and say "Whoa". So I set Christianity on the back burner until somebody clarifies this Love conflict for me, and gives me a working definition.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-08-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When a premise is not provable, there will be people who believe it and people who don't.
also, what some would consider as "proof", others would say it's not good enough to be proof

Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Is this simply a psychology issue?

ok, if you were raised in a religious family you may find the idea of God harder to shake off, but how about the fundamental feeling that there is something 'out there'.

some of us believed in fairies, imaginary friends and little green creatures at the bottom of the garden - but most people grow out of these phases as they grow up.

but for some, don't the little green men turn into God, Jesus, Krishna, Earth Goddess instead?

and how about those for whom the fairies just turn into cold 'reality' - ie: atheism.

Is it all to do with brain structure and psychology in the end?
I agree, that it all has to do with inner processes and inner wiring of each individual (brain wiring, genetics, environment, teachings, experience/feeback, trial and error AND EMOTIONS)

I think that sometimes when we get hurt by a lack of response (from a God for example) we can force ourselves to believe that he is not real (I think this is a "denying reality" as we know it, phenomenon which works in other areas of our life, so why not in this one) Sometimes our brain tells us that reality is this, but our emotions tell us something different

some people believe that people in commercials speak the truth and run and buy the stuff

and others are forevermore skeptics of these commercials

why some believe and some don't? could it be experience? but surely the believers have experienced that not all products they bought worked good, so what kept them believing?

I see us (humans) as computers (in one sense). Our computers have a program (a script, a step by step instructions). This script has blank pages which parents write on when they raise a child. This script tells us what is true and what is not. We live by this script. But this script can get modified by some factors, so people change their views, belief from unbelief, unbelief to belief...

We are mostly unaware of what instructions are written on our inner script. But we can observe them by what we end up doing or end up believing or not believing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy