Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,156,177 times

Advertisements

I thought to put this in parenting, my preferred forum where most of the folks are smart and pretyy with it. But then I thought, that is boring as they would mostly agree with me. Then I thought, if more people were raised this way, there would be fewer problems.

Thoughts?

Dear Daughter: I Hope You Have Awesome Sex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Revolutionary? I don't think so. I mean, I would hope most parents can want this for their children. Not WHILE they are children, of course.

But of course many parents don't even feel comfortable enough to feel this way about their own lives, so I'm not sure they can be the big enough person to wish this much good fortune for their kids.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM

662 posts, read 1,256,964 times
I liked this quote:

It doesn’t lessen you to give someone else pleasure. It doesn’t degrade you to have some of your own. And anyone who implies otherwise is a man who probably thinks very poorly of women underneath the surface.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Sex is fun and I want my children (when they're of age) to have as much fun as possible.

[live life!]

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,158,965 times
I like this. I think more parents need to be like this.

I always appreciated that my parents trusted me when it came to sex. My mother was always open, whether it was asking about birth control or anything else. She said to always tell her if I had a problem/got in trouble, and I truly believed that. I had a few crappy relationships, but not because of how my parents responded to my sex life.

My father has always been very welcoming of any boyfriends I brought home, too. If they were jerks, he'd tell me how it was, but never made me feel like I was any sort of property.

I also think this makes your kids rebel less. I feel/felt safe (since I'm an adult I don't feel strongly anymore) with my parents in regards to sex, and it wasn't taboo. Good for this father.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
What a laugh. Can you really see yourself saying this to a 12-14 year old? Unless you take the Marine Boot Camp/Onward Christian Soldiers approach they will just turn down the volume. But how would this hearts and flowers message sound from a drill sergeant?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,746,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I thought to put this in parenting, my preferred forum where most of the folks are smart and pretyy with it. But then I thought, that is boring as they would mostly agree with me. Then I thought, if more people were raised this way, there would be fewer problems.

Thoughts?

Dear Daughter: I Hope You Have Awesome Sex
IDK, the article seemed kinda creepy, to me...why the father's strange fixation on his daughter's intimate life? It also seemed to be strongly promoting a "Casual physical relations, FWB, and ONS are a good thing" POV...

ETA: FWIW, when I first went to college, my parent actually bought me a box of condoms, which shocked me at the time because they were always previously so socially-conservative, when it came to those sorts of things. I never had to use the condoms at all though, because I am personally strongly against casual physical intercourse, as a rule for myself (I'm not judging others who believe differently, though...it's just not right for me). For me, intercourse without love and devotion and a marriage-intended commitment are not "fun", but rather a train-wreck disaster and an emotional heartbreak waiting to happen. For me, I need a certain sense of permanency and that something is going to last for the long haul (i.e., either marriage or an engagement going directly toward marriage) before I can even seriously consider full intimacy...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-13-2013 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
I didn't take it as a speech you actually give your teen.

I saw it more as a personal philosophy that guides the parent WHILE they are raising their teens.

Often the unspoken messages are the loudest, and if a parent is raising a teen in an atmosphere of fear, kids pick up on that. It is very confusing for them.

Of course, the fact that this dad "blogs about polyamory" should make the kid's life interesting enough.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,099,186 times
eh, whether you "raise" your child like this or not they will do what they choose to do which is evident with all the unwanted pregnancies within almost every age group.

This certainly is nothing close to "revolutionary", a lot of hippies raised their children this way in the 1960's or whatever era it was that hippies were popular.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,156,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
IDK, the article seemed kinda creepy, to me...why the father's strange fixation on his daughter's intimate life?
Interseting that you see a fixation. " I don’t want to hear about the fine details because, heck, I don’t want those visuals any more than my daughter wants mine. "

Quote:
It also seemed to be strongly promoting a "Casual physical relations, FWB, and ONS are a good thing" POV...
You contend that it is a bad thing? Do you ASSUME it is a bad thing?

Quote:
ETA: FWIW, when I first went to college, my parent actually bought me a box of condoms, which shocked me at the time because they were always previously so socially-conservative, when it came to those sorts of things. I never had to use the condoms at all though, because I am personally strongly against casual physical intercourse, as a rule for myself (I'm not judging others who believe differently, though...it's just not right for me). For me, intercourse without love and devotion and a marriage-intended commitment are not "fun", but rather a train-wreck disaster and an emotional heartbreak waiting to happen.
Well I guess that is exactly the message I DON'T want my kids to have.

"Yes, all these boys and girls and genderqueers may break your heart, and that in turn will break mine. I’ve held you, sobbing, after your boyfriend cheated on you, and it tore me in two. But you know what would tear me in two even more? To see you in a glass cage..."

I don't believe in avoiding heartbreak. Life IS heartbreak. And for the emotionally strong, learning from heartbreak and getting past it. Love is not something that happens only once ever in your whole life. Even love is something you need to learn. Being so afraid of pain that you fear to live and love IS a cage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy