Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times

Advertisements

Since when does this notion exist?? My mother bought my son a kitchen play set. My son is 2.5. He loves to watch me cook, so she bought him the play set to have more imaginative play. Its not even a "pink" play set, its completely gender neutral and even has a grill on the back. Yet, once I posted about how my son loved grandma's gift (on facebook), a family member accused of emasculating my son.

I'm still in shock. How can a 2.5 year old be emasculated by a toy? I stated those words, and he accused me of going "Dr Phil" on him. He told me to "get that boy a football". Seriously? Do people think like this? When my mother pointed out it had a grill on it, he said "good, saw the kitchen half off and just give him the grill".

Last I checked, most chefs are men anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
There is no such thing.

Just morons who think there are.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
You can't turn anyone gay. I mean yeah I guess if you end up in jail and turn into someone's you-know-what but that doesn't mean you've "turned gay".

Anyway, ignore your family member. He still thinks it's 1950s. It's people like him that made Lego have "pink toys" for girls. I mean really, are Legos *only* for boys that they have to make pink ones exclusively for girls? I think not.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times
Yeah, I removed the family member from facebook... just.. shocking that people think a specific toy will turn a TODDLER gay. Last I checked, toddlers dont even possess those kind of feelings!

One less person to send a card at christmas

Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 AM

404 posts, read 904,233 times
I currently work in a kitchen that employs all men, zero women. Most professional kitchens are like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
People are born gay or not, you aren't going to "turn someone gay". I have 3 sons and when they were toddlers they all played with fake food and a cook set/kitchen. They played with it 2-3 years and then grew out of it. I think it is healthy for boys and girls to play with each others toys.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:13 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think it is healthy for boys and girls to play with each others toys.
I do too. My daughter loves her toy cars! That doesn't make her a boy.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Default Toys turning kids gay?

Yeah, well, I played and slept with my dolly until I was 25, my aunt put me in a dress when I was 6 y.o., and took pictures, good thing facebook and twitter weren't around then.

My dad got me a toy fire truck when I was 8 y.o., and I filled it with dirt, grass and weeds.

I've come along way since then, how do I look in my new outfit baking muffins in my kitchen? These heels a killing my feet.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 AM

861 posts, read 2,716,872 times
Oh lord..... Ask your friend which one of his toys was the one responsible for making him hetero.
Then, utilize the BLOCK button pronto.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Since when does this notion exist?? My mother bought my son a kitchen play set. My son is 2.5. He loves to watch me cook, so she bought him the play set to have more imaginative play. Its not even a "pink" play set, its completely gender neutral and even has a grill on the back. Yet, once I posted about how my son loved grandma's gift (on facebook), a family member accused of emasculating my son.

I'm still in shock. How can a 2.5 year old be emasculated by a toy? I stated those words, and he accused me of going "Dr Phil" on him. He told me to "get that boy a football". Seriously? Do people think like this? When my mother pointed out it had a grill on it, he said "good, saw the kitchen half off and just give him the grill".

Last I checked, most chefs are men anyway.

It does not exist for me. Haven't heard of it in many years.

What I have found disturbing is that toys are far more gendered than they were when I grew up. I am glad that you found a normal kitchen that your son enjoys playing with that is not made in shocking pink plastic. Uggh.

In recent years it's difficult to buy a bicycle for a girl that is not hot pinl with glitter and some how related to Barbie or the Disney Princesses.
Boys toys are generally connected to a Super Hero.

I've never liked the idea of my children being used as advertising vehicles for Matel or Disney.

Good for you for buying your son a practical and educational toy that he is enjoying. My guess is that in life any child - male or female, will spend way more time in a kitchen than they will on a football field - or in a Princess castle.

BTW tell your relative that "emasculate" and "Gay" are not synonymous. There are many masculine Gay men. You can't take away your son's gender - or his inborn sexual identity by giving him a toy kitchen.

Such nonsense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy