Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

The unconscious speaking to you. I don't find it weird or odd, that theory. We do have an unconscious and this is how it bridges to our conscious selves. For your everyday person, they probably mean nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:29 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
Everything about a dream that you remember in the morning is telling you something about yourself or about something you've been through and your mind is just trying to figure it out.

I don't really believe those book on dreams. Things like a wolf stands for the transition between life or death. I've had plenty of wolf dreams, but none of them had anything to do with that. I truly felt it had more to do with the feelings of being both domestic and wild. Making choices that I would otherwise refuse. I love wolves. In my dreams, wolves are a welcoming animal to see. I'm drawn to them. To other people, a wolf might be scary. What a dream means often has much to do with how you are feeling during the dream. For example, you are in a rushing river with no paddles but only a canoe. That's a dangerous situation. But, do you feel afraid and anxious during this part of the dream or do you feel adventurous or excited maybe because it's the need for a thrill in your life? There are many reasons why one might have a reaction to something that would be different for someone else. Maybe you are afraid of water, yet you are excited about floating down the rapids in a canoe without paddles. Does this mean you have a deep desire to be in rushing waters? No, but in your dream, you are in something new that would otherwise scare you. Your mind could be telling you that you want to try something out of the ordinary and daring. It doesn't have to be rushing waters, but maybe being a homebody, it's telling you you are yearning for a new adventure like traveling out of state or country...or something like that. Your dreams tell you what your mind wants in the best way it knows how. Your conscious might say, lets be daring and try out some exotic food in a foreign restaurant. As a person that stays with what you know, that would NOT happen. In your dreams about the rapids, it's telling you this is the path you need to take for some happiness.

If that rapids dream scares you, it could be telling you that the path you are taking and the decisions you are making might mean trouble for you, or the road you chose will be rocky and difficult. Your mind is afraid of the outcome and it's expressing to you your emotions the best way it knows how. You can choose to continue and know that things might get rough for you or they may not and you have just faced a difficult moment in your life and survived.

Dreams are fascinating, but they are personal messages geared directly toward the person who doing the dreaming. They are personal and can't be explained by a book. They deserved to be analysed if they stick in your mind when you wake up because they are messages for you to understand. Just remember, ever detail counts from what the dream seems to focus on to the feelings your character is experiencing. It also helps you understand your nightmares. They become less scary when you know there's a message in there. Things are less scary when they aren't such a mystery.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Most of my dreams involve someone providing me with a solution to real life problems I'm having. Someone in the dream would come up to me and strike up a conversation or in passing they'd just mention the solution to an issue or provide me with a new outlook on things. Pretty cool.

And my nightmares usually involve me running from something I can't see and then I reach a cliff. I'm too terrified to turn around and face it so I jump off the cliff. I always wonder about that nightmare...

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In your philosophical opinion, what are the meaning/point of Dreams?
Could it be natures/Gods way (depending on your views) of trying to communicate with us?

Dreams are based on daily experiences. In this respect, they have no value of the kind you are questioning.

Same time, there are clearly "vivid dreams" that do bear sometimes clear or hidden sense that can be properly interpreted and used for, say, foretelling future.

Thing is, during sleep, the True Self that is contacting a body it resides in, is parting with it. This allows body to regenerate itself. During this separation, Self is not in the physical realm. It is possible, that it can brush against some things on the form plane of the physical world, that plane being future to come, as it contains all thoughts waiting to be exteriorized, as physical events, on the physical plane of the physical world, known as the universe as we know it and Earth.

Personally, I have particular types of dreams that have never failed me in predicting future events. Handful they are, but they are 100% coming true. Never failed. Just had confirmation not so long ago.

Now, you may want to look into what is called "controlled sleep". That is sleep, when True Self is conscious within its dream. It knows it is dreaming, and has full control over it. In that state, Self may fathom The Realm of Permanence and acquire various knowledge on things of interest to it, that may be allowed to be acquired by its destiny.
In layman terms, spiritual world may be contacted in such state.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I just had a nightmare and after thinking about its purpose, I realized that it just validates what I already know, to do what I think is necessary to protect myself and family. It allowed me to experience when I don't do that and all the effort I would put in order to right things. I should have put the effort to prevent it.

It was a kidnapping dream. Yes, I know. The likelihood of it happening is rare but I will listen to my dreams.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I love the study of dreams. I wrote a college paper on dreams and didn't learn a thing.

I have a recurring dream (not often; maybe 6-8 times in my life and just enough to remember) where I'm living in a house I've never been in, to my knowledge. I know the house very well in my dreams, even to parking in the same spot. When I take the time the next day after the dream to pick the house apart, it seems to be a compilation of 3 or 4 different houses I've lived in, but not enough to identify the source or cause of the dream.

It would be so nice if we had a book we could reference to explain our dreams.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Actually Dale, there are a number of books that interpret dreams...some are pretty good, though I do believe each dream holds personal meaning for each individual.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Actually Dale, there are a number of books that interpret dreams...some are pretty good, though I do believe each dream holds personal meaning for each individual.
Yeah, but none of them tell me what MY dreams mean. I don't care about what an author's dreams and explanations mean. I want to cut to the chase without fiddling around with maybe this and possibly that.

Dreams are kinda like heaven. We won't know for sure if it's real 'til we get there and see for ourselves.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
mod. woodrow nailed it-its the brains way or organizing stimuli..

but then why am i Underdog, with a different looking sweet polly purebred every week?

there's no need to fear............underdog is here..!!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Does anyone else dream like crazy if you eat before bed?

I can go weeks not remembering any dreams, but if I eat before bed, I wake up remembering the most long and drawn-out vivid dreams imaginable - dreams that seemed to last for hours, in movie-like detail. Eating food works like this for me 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy