Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times

Advertisements

Had a weird dream last night no explanation for. It revolved around a guy I knew from school and who lived in the neighborhood in which I grew up and does now. I rarely see him other than occasionally in passing usually during summer months. He has a window cleaning business. Anyhow in my dream it was as if I was caught in a loop (sort of like the brain trying to file the record was jamming or the LP was skipping) he kept showing up and I was discussing having some windows cleaned on a large building (I don't own one). When I awakened I had a difficult time trying to connect it with anything remotely to the past days happenings. Bizarre. Gremlins were in my synapses last night.

One other occasion that's funny (a dream about making love with Myrna Loy after watching a classic 1930s movie) and I have a theory for it - outside of the obvious.

We as sensate beings are bombarded by multiple stimuli simultaneously throughout our awake hours if we are actively engaging: socially, work, or whatever capacity. I have noticed on occasion when one meditates or does any activity whose purpose is to 'flush' or shutter the human body of external stimuli to connect with inner energy, or simply put, your 'mind is clear and relaxed while you are engaged in an engrossing activity of interest (living in the moment) that one has clearer/cleaner memory recordings.

If I recall, there were studies done to show placing people in some heightened situation while giving them visual stimuli made them recall it much better. Anyway, the Myrna Loy lovemaking session dream was one of those totally cleared mind events where I must have absorbed the essence of the person on film gone to bed and 'created' a wonderful night to remember.

Now off to dreamland.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
No I don't think God or spirits try to communicate with us through dreams.

I think dreams are just processes of a brain that is only working part time. The stimuli is usually memories and sometimes we even find ourselves dreaming of people who haven't seen in years.

But they do seem to reflect some of our fears and needs but I guess we keep those in memory too.

I haven't seen the movie "Waking Life" recently but that movie somehow affected some of my dreams. Sometimes when I dream of real people I realize that they are characters and not the real person. Usually they cannot answer my questions or even fake being the real person very well.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In your philosophical opinion, what are the meaning/point of Dreams?
Could it be natures/Gods way (depending on your views) of trying to communicate with us?
Its your body's way of trying to wake itself up so you can hydrate yourself or go to the restroom.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
We don't fully understand why (biologically) we sleep, much less why we dream. But we will. And then it won't seem so mysterious anymore.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I haven't had a nightmare since I was about 7 years old. In my opinion, the only thing dreams mean is that you're asleep.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
I think dreams are your brain's way of taking out the garbage, so to speak. No mystical messages from anywhere.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I haven't had a nightmare since I was about 7 years old. In my opinion, the only thing dreams mean is that you're asleep.
That must be a good sign to not have a nightmare since you were that young?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
That must be a good sign to not have a nightmare since you were that young?
I take it as a sign that I must be doing something right.

I refuse to live in fear, and I guess that translates into my nocturnal consciousness, too. I'm not afraid of household germs or Muslims or anything in between, so what is there to have nightmares about?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Vitamin B before bed gives me psychotically bizarre dreams.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
In your philosophical opinion, what are the meaning/point of Dreams?
Could it be natures/Gods way (depending on your views) of trying to communicate with us?
Dreams are VERY important in my opinion and for completely scientific reasons. To understand why, you have to know a couple basic facts about the human mind:

1.The mind is like an iceberg. The conscious mind is only the tip you can easily see above water.

2. "You" is actually more accurately described as "we"... we all have multiple personalities. It becomes a disorder when the conscious mind can't filter them all out. If you don't believe it, ask yourself when you last interacted with a character in your dreams and consider how much "control" you had of that character.

3. Your subconscious mind doesn't "turn off" when you are awake either... Everything (and more) that our conscious mind takes in is also being churned through the subconscious. The influence of the subconscious is simply drowned out by the "loud", narrowly focused conscious mind in normal daily life.

4. Our conscious mind is always about a second behind the actual experience and the subconscious is getting our sensory imput quicker, plus it's got a more complete (albeit rawer) recollection of all that sensory imput.

This all means that in actuality, we are actually only operating on a faction of our mind's true capability. This doesn't mean anything "magical", just that we've generally failed to use what we've got and assumed the acutally mediocre conscious mind is the best our brain gets when it really isn't.

And Dreams?

Dreams are actually a convenient doorway into that massive "subconscious realm" of information and connections that naturally opens up for us every night. The subconscious speaks in a "language" of it's own that is mostly unique to the mind it erupts from. Getting to know your own "dream language" and even actively participating in dreams through lucid dreaming eventually helps break down the walls between the conscious and subconscious, giving you greater access to your "whole self" to tackle all of life's problems.

There are other much more difficult ways to "get into" the subconscious through altered mental states but that's a subject for another thread...

Last edited by Chango; 12-03-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy