U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,037,816 times

Advertisements

In your philosophical opinion, what are the meaning/point of Dreams?
Could it be natures/Gods way (depending on your views) of trying to communicate with us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:09 AM

15,511 posts, read 14,628,462 times
It could be. But in my case I believe it is simply my brain's method of organizing the days input of stimuli.

While I do believe God(swt) does send some dreams to some people, I doubt if I have every had such. I attribute all my dreams to date to physical reasons.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 AM

5,681 posts, read 2,483,028 times
I have never really thought about the meaning of dreams or nightmares. I have noticed a pattern. When I am very hot or when I am sleeping directly face up, I have nightmares.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,968,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have never really thought about the meaning of dreams or nightmares. I have noticed a pattern. When I am very hot or when I am sleeping directly face up, I have nightmares.
If I become too warm in my sleep, I usually have a bad dream... a nightmare.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,440,054 times
When we're awake, we have a multitude of thoughts going on; when we are asleep, our subconscious brings memories/experiences to the forefront.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 AM

5,681 posts, read 2,483,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If I become too warm in my sleep, I usually have a bad dream... a nightmare.
Okay, you noticed that as well. My husband was the one who pointed it out.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 AM

758 posts, read 894,657 times
Dreams, good ones or nightmares, are meaningless. It is just how your brain trying to make sense with your emotions and feelings in a visual way. It is just a biological function, not really philosophical IMO.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM

14,309 posts, read 9,935,487 times
Carl Jung and his disciples made a decent case for dreams being the brain's symbolic language. I have found that a significant percentage of my dreams are rendered meaningful by interpreting them with popular online "dream dictionaries" based in Jungian theory. I just don't feel this meaning tells me anything that I don't already know. Your mileage may vary.

In line with what others have pointed out, though, more than half of my remembered dreams seem to reflect miscellaneous flotsam of the day -- I can trace them to something I observed prior to that sleep cycle. If I really applied myself to dream journaling I might well find myself remembering more dreams and the proportion of remembered dreams that make sense via symbolic interpretations might increase, and I might even get some insight from the dream interpretations. But dream journaling takes significant commitment and it feels to me a bit like narcissistic navel-gazing so I've never gone to those lengths. My guess is that it's more useful to people who aren't very self-aware in the first place.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,247,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In your philosophical opinion, what are the meaning/point of Dreams?
Could it be natures/Gods way (depending on your views) of trying to communicate with us?
Dreams seem more to be the brain defragging like a PC hard drive whereby, short term sensate memories from the last 'awake hours' get re organized and compressed and transitioned to long term memory area (hard drive). Dreams are likely the subconscious occasionally 'visualizing' this process. This is likely why so many dreams are bits and pieces of nonlinear data.

Occasionally, I will have a vivid realistic dream that seems coherent. I noticed these most often occur in situations when I am awakened early before planned time or have no need to wake up and I fall back asleep for another half hour or longer. It seems this scenario occurs later after defragging process is complete (or close to it) thus the lingering sensate synaptic items in the queue have more continuity and meaning (tell a story).

I can not recall having nightmares. I do recall the occasional fairly common dreams of either 'falling' or 'teeth falling out'. These type I think have a logical explanation also. If you think of the brain as having massive amounts of sensors. I think these types of dreams occur due to the equivalent of a switching error analogous to a piece of dust on the sensor and it not reading correctly or a rail line when the switch isn't tripped when it should and the so called common dream is associated with that bio-physiological area. Say, for instance much like people having balance issues when their basilar membrane (in ear) is damaged.

I do think there can be a communication element to dreams. But I have never experienced any. Random dreams of dead parents notwithstanding. Sometimes I think these are the equivalent of say, that scene at the end of Raiders of The Lost Ark when the warehouse working is rolling the crate amongst the massive storage area. I think occasionally the 'brain' slots something adjacent to an old sector (memory packet) and we 'tickle' it and this causes 'echo' of past filed memories. Or something very analogous to that particular 'filed memory' triggers the older memory upon sorting in the memory bank.

Also, FYI, studies of smell have shown a strong association to trigger memories. So there may also be a bio physiological order sequence function that causes certain dreaming. I've oft wondered if this is analogous to an 'overflow' function since the smell receptors function until they are filled. I.E notice how an offensive odor will eventually cease to be offensive until one leaves the area and the nasal receptors are 'unfilled' and then you reenter the area of the offending odor and smell it again.

There has also been speculation that the Pineal Gland is a higher end dormant / or currently under utilized communicative portion of the human anatomy.

Many native American cultures felt dreams were an important part of their existence and communicative in nature from higher being. They would regularly discuss their dreams to find interpretive meaning. I surmise as predominantly tribal nomadic simpler people in touch with nature, I would think at some levels they would have less 'interference' - i.e. sensate overload in a modern technologically driven world and likely could 'feel' the natural elements. Sort of analogous to how a person who loses one of their primary senses tends to have their others senses heightened.

Fascinating topic...

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,968,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Okay, you noticed that as well. My husband was the one who pointed it out.
I was particularly glad you mentioned it as I've asked many if they are too hot when it happens to them, but, have never had a yes in return. They usually say they've never noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy