Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM

70 posts, read 88,946 times

Advertisements

Ever since I saw this post, I've given up on the human race. I've seen posts similar to that before, but that one is the absolute worst I've ever seen. Individually, I still like some people (my friends, for example), but the human race as a whole is too screwed up for me to believe in anymore. I'm done. Even this post, which appeared shortly after, couldn't make me feel better, and I usually enjoy those posts.

I told one of my friends and she agreed with me. She had seen that image before I did and she experienced that in her early teens, but she's usually an optimist, so I actually thought she'd say otherwise.

I hear people say all the time their faith in humanity went down sometime. Has anyone ever completely lost it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
When I was a kid, I had this idea that adults were sensible, responsible, honorable, reliable, and above self-interest.
I strove to be those things and looked forward to a time that I would be surrounded by like-minded folks. I was a child who did not much like most other kids because they seemed selfish and petty and immature. I did have some great friends as a kid and they are great adults today.

My loss of faith in humanity stems from the crushing realization that most adults are in fact nothing more than overgrown children with more money and power. Many seem stuck in a high school mentality. A lot of behavior comes from insecurity - gossiping, bullying, keeping up with the Joneses, etc.

We look for solace in those who strive to be more. Fortunately, you do not have to look far.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When I was a kid, I had this idea that adults were sensible, responsible, honorable, reliable, and above self-interest.
I strove to be those things and looked forward to a time that I would be surrounded by like-minded folks. I was a child who did not much like most other kids because they seemed selfish and petty and immature. I did have some great friends as a kid and they are great adults today.

My loss of faith in humanity stems from the crushing realization that most adults are in fact nothing more than overgrown children with more money and power. Many seem stuck in a high school mentality. A lot of behavior comes from insecurity - gossiping, bullying, keeping up with the Joneses, etc.

We look for solace in those who strive to be more. Fortunately, you do not have to look far.
I could have written this myself. I also believed that adults were less cruel, wiser even. Growing up shattered my illusions very quickly.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:30 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
My answer is no, but I'm getting closer at an alarming rate.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Yes, but it's actually somewhat liberating.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Star View Post
Ever since I saw this post, I've given up on the human race. I've seen posts similar to that before, but that one is the absolute worst I've ever seen. Individually, I still like some people (my friends, for example), but the human race as a whole is too screwed up for me to believe in anymore. I'm done. Even this post, which appeared shortly after, couldn't make me feel better, and I usually enjoy those posts.

I told one of my friends and she agreed with me. She had seen that image before I did and she experienced that in her early teens, but she's usually an optimist, so I actually thought she'd say otherwise.

I hear people say all the time their faith in humanity went down sometime. Has anyone ever completely lost it?
I lost most of my faith in humanity a long time ago. But I have not completely lost it because of the next link you showed us. Just when I think it is all gone, you get to see some real gems out there. (I love seagull guy....I would kiss him if I could.) So, on an every day basis? Yes. But then, out of the blue, comes some beautiful person, (inside), who reminds me that not all humans are piles of garbage.

What stan4 wrote is pretty much WHY I lost that faith. I, too, had high hopes for the people I would come in contact with when I became an adult. The disappointment was heavy. But, as I said, and as he said, you do get to see some of those people you hoped for...and that keeps you going. Man, if only the world was filled with the good ones, not the ugly ones....just think how much nicer this planet would be.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Great post.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
No, when a disaster happens and people come together to help, it restores my faith. For instance, after the tornado in Tuscaloosa universities from across the SEC came to help. People with very little gave all they could. Sometimes it seems that it takes a catastrophe to show us that people do care, but they do. Of course there are people like the idiot that the OP was talking about, but I like to believe they are in the minority.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:42 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I have mixed feelings about my fellow man, but I would say that since I left theism some twenty years ago, I'm less pessimistic. I always say that for all their peccadilloes, most people mean well and try their best to do well. This is an improvement from reckoning them as sinners so vile that even their good works are "as filthy rags".

That isn't to say I'm a fool. I don't assume everyone is ethical and honest until proven otherwise. I don't take risks associated with said ethics / honesty until I have established that ethics and honesty are actually there.

I do not expect as much from random people as I do from the people I'm most open and vulnerable to, and so most of my discouragement and disappointment about the human condition comes from my children, stepchildren, significant other, etc. Sometimes I think humanity is much better at arm's length than close-up. On the other hand, humanity probably thinks the same about me ;-)

Old 11-09-2013, 06:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Mixed feelings...I dislike most everyone..no I'm kidding.

I have faith that humans will screw up...why ? because they don't understand they need therapy,
already...deal with your sh*t....sure you were dealt a bad hand and you are wounded...so ... it
doesn't give you a right to hurt others...the very others that didn't hurt you as a child.

I have faith people who have not dealt with their childhood pain will mess up.
I have sympathy...but it runs thin in 2013 with MDs on TV and self help books
galore. We aren't alone in our dysfunction on some remote farm anymore.
Get with the program, I say...and heal your damaged self, already.

I only hang with emotionally and mentally healthy people at this season of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy