Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times

Advertisements

If i don't work, i will be homeless and hungry, then die. when i work 40 hours a week, i feel like im suffering to make a living, and I am on this earth for X amount of time, LIFE IS SHORT, and spending 50 hours a week including travel time and lunch breaks per week, that is 50 hours less life for me every week, times that by 40 years.

so when i see life, from age 5 when i know what is going on, I am at school FT until i am 22, so i have no time. then work for 40 years, and i still have no time. so finally at the age of 62 to 67, when people can retire if they have money, that's when you have time to "live". so basically, the first 62 to 67 years of life you are busy, only to enjoy the last 10 years of life before you die, and those last 10 years might be in a wheelchair, hospital bed, or you might die at age 18 because of an accident or illness.

so do you see working as "suffering to live"? you are trading your life for x amount of money, on top of physical or mental labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
so do you see working as "suffering to live"? you are trading your life for x amount of money, on top of physical or mental labor.
Some of us actually LIKE our jobs. I love my job, so no, it is not "suffering to live."

Perhaps you need a better job?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
If you hate your job, yes. I suffer mine every day. Work with a bunch of people I can't stand.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
If i don't work, i will be homeless and hungry, then die. when i work 40 hours a week, i feel like im suffering to make a living, and I am on this earth for X amount of time, LIFE IS SHORT, and spending 50 hours a week including travel time and lunch breaks per week, that is 50 hours less life for me every week, times that by 40 years.

so when i see life, from age 5 when i know what is going on, I am at school FT until i am 22, so i have no time. then work for 40 years, and i still have no time. so finally at the age of 62 to 67, when people can retire if they have money, that's when you have time to "live". so basically, the first 62 to 67 years of life you are busy, only to enjoy the last 10 years of life before you die, and those last 10 years might be in a wheelchair, hospital bed, or you might die at age 18 because of an accident or illness.

"Suffering to live"?? No. But I'd say it's pretty necessary to work to live. Unless we are lucky enough to be born filthy rich. Since you've given this some thought, what would you suggest as an alternative? Not be born maybe.

It's pretty much a fact of life that you will either have the time OR the money to do 'stuff' but it's rare to have both at once. Hence you have to keep working to live and, maybe, do some other 'stuff'. But if you feel your job is making you "suffer" maybe you need a different one. I LIKE my job but would rather not have to work.

And don't count out that something might happen that, when you get to retirement age, you will be unable to. It happens a lot and then what? You simply keep working till you drop dead on the job because you have no other options. Maybe better to "suffer to live" while you're young (and SAVE SAVE SAVE) rather than when you're in your 70s. Try to be a little more positive.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I feel blessed that I live in a society that affords me the opportunity to earn a living and I subsequently live better than most people on this planet. I went to work today. Some days are better than others, but that's relative. I'm at the Y now -another privilege in my mind. Then I will go home to my beautiful daughter and husband. My family is healthy (so far). We have a roof, food, love, comfort, fun, etc. I'm grateful and it makes no difference that I have to expend a little energy to earn it.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
civic,
Find your passion. Find something you really like to do.
Then do it. If you need school to do it, go to school. You can.
Change your job.
Do what love and have a passion for.
You will never work a day in your life.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:24 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You can't die from hunger in this country. Don't even try to tell me this. Food is abundant everywhere and for free.
But as of your topic title - any work for money is depraving. Truly, people should work out of inclination and free will, for the best of everyone.
Of course, it's a utopia...

Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:

I do not see work this way.

Put it this way,

Go back several hundred years. Take away modern technology, industrialization, and big cities. If you were born in the middle of nebraska or somewhere with wildlife and good land for farming, with mostly open fields and a few trees, you would have to spend a good portion of your day, maybe several hours hunting.
You'd have to lug that big beast (or sack of bunnies) home, gut it, clean it, and cook it. And somehow store it, though I'm not sure how this was done back then.

While you were out hunting, your woman was home planting and gardening, which I'm sure takes a big chunk of the day, plus feeding any animals you may have, hand-washing clothes, and if you have any kids, caring for them and teaching them stuff.

Then while you or your woman has has to cook the food, one of you needs to spend some time that evening making new weapons, spears, or fixing a broken weapon from last week,
or possibly gather firewood.

WAIT, get inside, you got some strangers coming by on horseback....who are they?? You don't know but they get off their horse, guns drawn, you're inside, so they take the weapons you left out there, walk right into your house gun drawn to your face, walk over to the food you were cooking and take it, look around, walk out and take some tomatoes on their way past your garden.
You got lucky today, but you'll only have half a dinner...So much for that day's work.

In today's society, or even 100 years ago, or even 1000 years ago, you either work for trade. 40 hours, 50 hours, 60 hours, so that you can trade your efforts through bartering for things or for currency to buy food someone else made, to pay a doctor to fix you, to pay for premade guns/weapons, to pay for a launrdy machine (today), to pay for heat, to buy clothes, to pay taxes to have your kids taught by someone else, protection from marauders by police, to have paved roads and walkways to get to work

or
you go at it alone and do as the above example and live off the land and work 84 hours a week.

you can't avoid work. Consider yourself lucky that you only work 50 hours, rather than 7 12-hour days.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you can become a business owner or own property and more or less have more control over when you work, and possibly even if you work at all...if you feel that 50 hours a week is being wasted.

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 12-09-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
It depends on the job. Some people are really into their careers, and for many people (especially men), their career can actually be an outlet for their anxiety/depression fear. On the other hand, there are indeed many people just trying to pay the bills. I enjoy my job, but I get to work with puppies, so its hard not to.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Even most people who don't need to worry about money need to find ways to keep themselves busy i8n a productive way.

Do I enjoy working? Sometimes, sometimes not - which I assume is the norm for a lot of people. One thing I know for sure through experience is that my free time is a lot more valuable when I am working than when I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy