Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,344,425 times

Advertisements

We are constantly getting advice on a whole host of things from the media, from those close to us and others not so close, and from professionals. Did I leave anyone out?

So how good are we at taking advice? Do we mostly only accept things that fit in with our previously held notions, or are we as equally accepting of ideas that are brand new and novel to us?

What's a good piece of advice you've received?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 27,635,592 times
You know, I have come across a very nice definition of a smart person.
A smart person is one that can develop and independent thought, or decision, by his own independent thinking.

You understand, why I said this? Please, keep in mind, it is irrelevant, if it's "good" or "bad" decision. INDEPENDENT is the key word.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
...snip...
Never look back.

Something might be gaining.

- Satchel Paige

Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Quote:

So how good are we at taking advice? Do we mostly only accept things that fit in with our previously held notions, or are we as equally accepting of ideas that are brand new and novel to us?
Why should we be accepting? Not everything new is beneficial.

Quote:
My own advice. Stay out of people's business and keep to my own world.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM

89 posts, read 113,514 times
Quote:
We are constantly getting advice on a whole host of things from the media, from those close to us and others not so close, and from professionals. Did I leave anyone out?

I don't consider what you're talking about to be "advice." More like advertisements.

But I don't think the majority of people are accepting of brand new ideas unless those ideas pretty blatantly benefit us, or seem to.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times
Quote:

You left out the educational system. Read John Taylor Gatto's, The Underground History of American Education, Dumbing Us Down and Weapons of Mass Instruction.

The Media and the Education system are tools used to socially condition the population for easier 'control'. So looking about at the current landscape, unfortunately, I'd say they are doing a fairly good job at what those who developed the system intended.

Prurient tabloid like nonsense proliferates across the majority of mass media (remember how the internet was going to change things?), the political landscape has been turned into a false binary theater Hegel would be proud of (thesis - antithesis ~synthesis) - as it herds the people to be docile, dependent, and exist in a state of prolonged juvenile mindset.

Most people are content to hold to their 'notions' and can not deal with cognitive dissonance.

Best Advice:
"Unless you read different points of view, your mind will eventually close, and you'll become a prisoner to a certain point of view that you'll never question."

Other things to ponder:
"And it seems to be perfectly in the cards that there will be within the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing... a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution. - Aldous Huxley, 1959 cited by John Mark's The Search For The Manchurian Candidate: The CIA and Mind Control. (1979 Norton paperback)

"Most men are easy prey for propaganda because of their firm but entirely erroneous conviction that it is composed only of 'lies' and 'tall stories', and that, conversely, what is true cannot be propaganda. But modern propaganda has long disdained the ridiculous lies of past and outmoded forms of propaganda. It operates instead with many different kinds of truths - half truths, limited truths, truth out of context...- Jacques Ellul cited by Konrad Kellen in his Introduction To Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes, by Jacques Ellul (1973, Vintage books)

Old 02-14-2014, 08:29 PM

128 posts, read 147,418 times
Depends. When somebody asks my advice, I usually tell them to the best of my ability how to resolve and undo the situation. If a friend tells me that her son comes home moody from school everyday, then I'd say he may be being bullied, or something at home is affecting him, etc. That said, I'd think most would say not every problem has an immediate nor ideal solution, but then I'd further state that people generally accept advice if it's presented to them in a way they can swallow. If there is no ideal solution and a person can see how, then fine. I think the phrase "people don't like what they want to hear" is more complex than pettiness. It can be based on a person not liking the solution since it goes against who they are, but then if they took it up it would solve their problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM

128 posts, read 147,418 times
Quote:

Well for me, I generally ask people who are objective, logical and can see most if not all sides of a position. So if I am at fault in a scenario, I can at least be shown why in a clear manner. Even if something said is novel, I'd still consider it and embrace it if I knew it would clear the issue at hand.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,293,784 times
Do some research of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy