Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
If you want to leave an eternal mark in the world, build something nice of the hardest stones, like the pyramids or the great wall or the stone henge.
Making a difference/'leaving a mark' in the world by creating change or helping others may not be 'eternal' but it's certainly more practical/doable as an individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:49 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Making a difference/'leaving a mark' in the world by creating change or helping others may not be 'eternal' but it's certainly more practical/doable as an individual.
I have an idea that is under feasibility study.

I want to use part of my assets to buy a piece of ecologically valuable land, and make it a wild life sanctuary forever. No one can ever develop that land ever again, including my descendants, or even get into the land.

I have to figure out how to get around the rule against perpetuity and whether the protective goal is achievable; and the state has to waive the property tax forever.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I want to use part of my assets to buy a piece of ecologically valuable land, and make it a wild life sanctuary forever.
Wildlife sanctuaries aren't an 'eternal mark' relative to your previous post, either - especially considering this is a philosophical thread.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Wildlife sanctuaries aren't an 'eternal mark' relative to your previous post, either - especially considering this is a philosophical thread.
I think both are pretty eternal. Piling up stones is much easier to do. Preserving land FOREVER is much more tricky to achieve. I like to do the latter, but may have to settle on the former.

Just for OP's reference. There are ways to continue living even after death.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:

There are ways to continue living even after death.
Only until all those who knew you have died as well.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Only until all those who knew you have died as well.
King Tut still lives even though his generation is long gone.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
King Tut still lives even though his generation is long gone.
There's a difference between historical knowledge vs. 'living after death' in someone's memory.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
If you want to leave an eternal mark in the world, build something nice of the hardest stones, like the pyramids or the great wall or the stone henge.
Good idea. I just need to get around to doing that some time.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:39 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,032 times
I spent a lot of time worrying about being born, and then it turned out to be not that bad. Not great, but OK. At least my worst fears weren't realized. I figure dying will work out pretty much the same way.

Seriously, it is what it is. I'm a Christian with really extensive studies of anomalous phenomena and a number of afterlife-related experiences of my own, so I have a high level of confidence that physical death isn't the end. But if it is, so what? Why would that cause me anxiety in this lifetime?

Everyone should read at least once the brilliant and profound The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSAC068...ng=UTF8&btkr=1. Oddly, Becker himself died at age 50 before it was published.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:47 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
hi.

I am afraid of the eternal oblivion and non - existence that follows death.
I am a materialist atheist so I believe the only things that exist in the universe are material.
I believe that EVERYTHING in the universe is composed of atoms.
I believe there is no god, or soul, or ghosts or anything "supernatural" or "unmaterial" as I like to call it.
I believe that our consciousness is a result of our brain , chemical/electrical activities within our brain.
So when we die and our brain decomposes , that's it , we are dead and we will never be conscious or experience anything forever.

And that's what scares me , that I will never experience or feel or see or hear anything or be conscious of anything for all eternity.
And what scares me is that , that state of eternal oblivion is eternal, meaning that it will never end.
Not in 900 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years. and what's that compared to eternity. not a drop in the ocean even.

I'm afraid of non - existing for eternity.
Your fears are well founded....we are all immortal.....what and WHO you believe in just determine your location during that eternity. Seek and strive for TRUTH and you end up at Jesus, chase lies and deception you end up in a dark but really well heated place for eternity. On the bright side no snow shoveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy