Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
They're not aware at all. They're biological automatons.
Prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 AM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
In my opinion, consciousness is understanding.
The more you understand about the world and the creatures in it and how each thing affects the other(physically or otherwise), the more conscious you become.
Basically I would say that the more you learn about everything, and the more connections you make with the things you know, consciousness levels up.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:47 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
All emotions are hard to define. But I can still recognize higher states of them. What's the problem?

Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
I've concluded consciousness is the extent or degree of awareness - especially in terms of awareness of you yourself and other humans operate (and even other higher animals), plus ability to foresee what will happen, inductive and deductive thinking, able to feel what other people feel, and such.

That means a higher state of consciousness is a higher degree of awareness of at least one of the above, and ideally all the above.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Are we really self conscious or our we existing in someone else's dream. Pull aside the veiled curtain and enter into a universe of mystery. Only the creator has the ultimate answer.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 PM

372 posts, read 220,145 times
I can make no claims to being a philosopher. Following complex philosophical arguments is hard work for me.
Therefore, I'm partial to Occam's razor.

An atheist and materialist, I reject the notion that there is any non corporeal element in human consciousness, mind or awareness..

For me, consciousness ,mind and awareness are mainly the dynamic of the human brain; a process rather than an identifiable object. I concede that memory seems to be stored in the brain.

That memory is stored in the brain perhaps explains why memories are altered or fade with time , as the brain begins to deteriorate..

That mind is not distinct from brain is easily demonstrated; Injure the brain, injure the mind. There is no proof that anything of a person survives the death of the brain. No brain activity, no person. Emotions, even the entire personality can be destroyed by a frontal lobotomy.

Now I can't prove my position categorically, and lack the skills to enter a complex philosophical argument. However , my position suits me in its simplicity .(Occam's razor again) I readily concede I may be wrong. I am ready to change my view as soon as anyone provides proof for an alternative argument. Pretty sure nobody has done that yet.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 PM

372 posts, read 220,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Are we really self conscious or our we existing in someone else's dream. Pull aside the veiled curtain and enter into a universe of mystery. Only the creator has the ultimate answer.
What creator? A pretty simplistic evasion of the question. To posit a necessary creator is an empty claim, as it is not falsifiable.

'The mystery of faith' non answer was given to me many times as an adolescent Catholic. Drove me me nuts, helped drive me away from the Church, and eventually the notion of a god.

That faith has nothing to with reason did not satisfy me then ,and does not satisfy me over 50 years later.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I've concluded consciousness is the extent or degree of awareness - especially in terms of awareness of you yourself and other humans operate (and even other higher animals), plus ability to foresee what will happen, inductive and deductive thinking, able to feel what other people feel, and such.

That means a higher state of consciousness is a higher degree of awareness of at least one of the above, and ideally all the above.

I agree with this. I think most people are not aware of their ability to pick up on other people's emotions because we are trained not to with all the distractions aka "noise" we have. I am well-aware of my ability to bring down the energy of a room, and if people are subtly trying to get under my skin, sometimes I will consciously put energy into make them uncomfortable without saying a word. But I know that is not a good use of my energy. Ultimately, everything you do to someone, you're doing to yourself.

Sometimes I don't think I'm aware of the power of my own energy, but I can tell by the way people react to me. If I'm having a more serious conversation in a restaurant, without fail, service people will start making roundabout comments on how nice a day it is, as if to tell me, "Lighten up." It's kind of amusing.

I think a lot of people underestimate animals. I remember one day I was driving, and this pack of geese was on the side of the road ready to cross. I stopped immediately because those birds will just step off the curb without a care, and you will wait for every last one of them to cross. They don't care if you're in a huge truck. They own the road in that moment. Well this particular time, the geese weren't making a move. And I kid you not, after I sat there for a few seconds also not moving, one of the geese motioned his head as if to say, "Go on!" It freaked me out. They always take the right of way! Before I saw them, I had been far enough away that they could have started walking across the street well before I approached.

I think a lot of people hate cats because cats can read people very well. Whether a person is a cat or dog person says a lot about who they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

Good question. I think about this often too.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:52 PM

177 posts, read 115,788 times
That there are superior stages of Consciousness becomes evident in the observation of inferior stages. As superior may classify the stage were superior/inferior judgements disappear.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Wouldn't dreaming be the higher state of consciousness? In the dialectic, the synthesis of consciousness (thesis) and unconsciousness (antithesis) would be a higher form of consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy