Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My "why" question is why are you now limiting it to having to be a tangible gain?
Is that not called 'moving the goal posts' ?
As to the why of why does it make us feel good, it depends on the circumstances and the individual.
Sure it doesn't have to be tangible gain, I misspoke there, the point was that that the gain manifests itself external rather than internally (good feeling).

To your second point while you are right I would say in general most people feel good from acting out of kindness. If that wasn't the case then (charity) wouldn't be so prevalent in our society. Even when someone doesn't participate in giving most still feel good from doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
I totally disagree
I think we might me capable of it one day...in a long long long time
but right now humanity is...just bad

Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
The percentage of greatness in humans is quite low. 10% is an absolute maximum by my guess. Percentage that are good is higher than that of course.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:08 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Humanity is great....

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/news...ome/index.html

Old 05-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And why do you care?

Is there any external benefit from this bothering you?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I didn't no where else to put this so I thought the most likely place it should be is here on the philosophy forum.

The human race is made up of the most kind and sincere living beings in the world. We are capable of such great acts and are worries are self made.

We had no reason to be concerned about the suffering of lesser beings, the homeless, dogs, the environment, etc. but of our own makings we put the weight on our own shoulders.

And on a personal level I have learned that the only reason I am where I am is because of the respect and kindness I have been shown by others, be they friends or strangers. Surely there are times of cruelty and darkness but coming out on the other end with a smile and genuine hope for the future is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

Even at times when I'm down and someone smiles at me (whether it be for a reason or no reason at all) the affects are what help me go on day by day.

There is such goodness in the world and in other humans that there need not be and yet here it is. The caring for one another and the support given even when not needed.

This world is, in its most natural state, a free and beautiful place and I wish everyone here on CD a fantastic day and even more to come in the future
what a load of rubbish, the human race is anything but this, especially in the 21st century.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 PM

lol, I must have been drunk when I wrote this thread, I agree with almost nothing I said.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Humanity is great in terms of accomplishments, but has severe flaws that hold it back. It engages in psychotic behavior not found elsewhere in the animal kingdom.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:22 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
lol, I must have been drunk when I wrote this thread, I agree with almost nothing I said.
Maybe you would agree with what you've said here if you got drunk again?

Never mind, I think it's alright either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
“MAN, n. An animal so lost in rapturous contemplation of what he thinks he is as to overlook what he indubitably ought to be. His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth and Canada.”

—Ambrose Bierce, “The Devil's Dictionary”
Seriously, the best philosophical dictionary around.

This is for you Les:

The Fourteenth Book

[ A short book with a long title. [ 110 ] ]

Title: What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the Experience of the Past Million Years?

Only verse: Nothing.

The Books of Bokonon From Cat's Cradle By Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

https://www.cs.uni.edu/~wallingf/personal/bokonon.html[/quote]

Old 04-16-2020, 07:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You're taking the stance that altruism is a 'pure' thing without benefit to the provider.
In actuality, doing good things for others makes one feel good or self righteous, a definate 'benefit'.
To give with no thought of return is the only real giving, your description better fits self seeking behavior.
Altruism is efficacious but that isn't the goal, we help others because they need help, not to "feel good".
Intention is everything.
Humanity is great.
https://youtu.be/oYuQLxartcM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy