Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times

Advertisements

I thought the idea of "matter" had been laid to rest. Nothing but energy and potential.

Thoughts are things.

Words create (can say from thoughts, but the spoken word creates somehow).

"Deeds" - a little tricky because the body does things without "thinking" that then create.

My understanding of all of this is more intuitive. I do not have the language (or background education in quantum physics) to discuss this from anything more than a very rudimentary perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:51 PM

1,456 posts, read 509,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Thoughts are things.
Prove it.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:42 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,721,865 times
I don't think we are expanding the universe in any way at all. Kind of silly to think that we have any influence on the universe lol Most people are lucky to expand themselves (other than stomachs) much less the universe !!

Old 12-22-2019, 05:41 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
Quote:
I have a very cursory education in quantum physics (a couple of courses in grad school).

That is kind of the basis for this premise: We are all expanding the universe all of the time with our thoughts, words, and deeds.

I don't know enough science to describe the process adequately - I just know I have "realized" this, especially related to the internet.

All of these ideas that are permeating our consciousnesses and taking us to the next edge.

It's really exciting.

I think you could say that we are all "social influencers," because we are constantly creating with our thoughts, words, and deeds (and influencing each other in the process).
That sounds a bit like the concept from Warhammer Universe. There is the Warp/Immaterium. It is the astral plane. The realm of thoughts and feelings/emotions. Living beings have any mental activity, manifests itself as a form of psychic energy in that realm.

The more energy, the bigger the astral plane. That same energy can be used in physical realm as energy for various effects as well.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:41 PM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Quote:
You have to understand from a quantum physics perspective.

Thoughts are things.

Thoughts create "reality."

Creation = expansion.

Modern metaphysical ideas (not the classic definition of metaphysics), but more around or "beyond physics."
Thoughts do not create reality. Action on a thought can create a reality.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:43 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
By the way, who actually patronizes scientists to come up with what many people will think as crack pot fantasyland theories.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:50 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,029,218 times
Just in time for the new Star Wars film, this line of thought is akin to a belief in "The Force". I myself had a thought-experiment once wondering whether we are all "drones" that allow a "Creator" (God) to experience things in a plane that he himself does not occupy, hence the reason for our existence. Unfortunately, as with the idea of a universe expanding via experiences from living, there is (and could probably be) no proof for it. If you are going to live in a world where we are limited by the bounds of scientific knowledge, then you are not allowed these kinds of "what if's" being possible, except on Bong Night. Interesting concept, though.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:23 AM

11,902 posts, read 8,221,751 times
Quantum entanglement?

What about the "Observer Effect" phenomenon? Isn't that an example of people affecting the material world just by observing it?

Old 12-23-2019, 10:44 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Expanding one's consciousness, perhaps. Expanding the universe, not so much.
Consciousness permeates the universe. The OP may be thinking along those lines.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:47 AM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
You have to understand from a quantum physics perspective.

Thoughts are things.

Thoughts create "reality."

Creation = expansion.

Modern metaphysical ideas (not the classic definition of metaphysics), but more around or "beyond physics."
This is close to Navajo philosophy. They believe, that "first, there was thought". All of Creation comes from thought. They also believe that everything is alive, even the rocks and other inanimate objects. Which, insofar as many rocks have an electromagnetic signature and give off subtle vibrations, is true, and in view of Einstein's theory that matter is energy, could also be said to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy