Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times

Advertisements

Much of the world believes in reincarnation - not so much in the Western world. IF you believe in reincarnation, what are your thoughts about unequal relationships related to the concept of "energy exchange?"

"Energy exchange" is an awareness and/or practice (I learned of it during my studies of Black Hat Tibetan Buddhist Feng Shui) where you "pay" (in money or services) to equalize all relationships. If someone holds the door open for you, you thank them. If someone cooks for you, you clean the kitchen. If someone gives you $10k, you take them out to dinner or clean their house for them, or do something nice for them.

The point is that there is equal give and take - not just one-way giving with nothing coming from the other end.

What I am wondering about are examples of say kids who are born with debilitating illnesses where the parents have to do everything for them for years on end. This would be a terrible fate, for me, yet tons of parents do this for their children who need it. My guess is that there is some kind of life "contract" that the parties have agreed to before coming into this life . . .but the energy exchange is so uneven . . . how does the person who is giving service for years and years in intense, negative circumstances - how does that person avoid hatred and resentment towards the other person?

Same with kids who have to take care of their infirm parents for years and years. You could say in that example that the exchange is that the parents took care of them in infancy, and this is returning the favor.

But basically having someone dependent on you - and being okay with it instead of resentful - how is that humanly possible?

I understand that women are typically in caregiver roles and don't seem to resent it as much as many men - many of whom would just refuse to help whomever - and might just run away.

What are your thoughts on people who need care and those who are tasked with caring for them from a philosophical point-of-view. How do YOU make sense of the unequal energy exchange - and lack of balance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 AM

708 posts, read 1,290,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Much of the world believes in reincarnation - not so much in the Western world. IF you believe in reincarnation, what are your thoughts about unequal relationships related to the concept of "energy exchange?"

"Energy exchange" is an awareness and/or practice (I learned of it during my studies of Black Hat Tibetan Buddhist Feng Shui) where you "pay" (in money or services) to equalize all relationships. If someone holds the door open for you, you thank them. If someone cooks for you, you clean the kitchen. If someone gives you $10k, you take them out to dinner or clean their house for them, or do something nice for them.

The point is that there is equal give and take - not just one-way giving with nothing coming from the other end.

What I am wondering about are examples of say kids who are born with debilitating illnesses where the parents have to do everything for them for years on end. This would be a terrible fate, for me, yet tons of parents do this for their children who need it. My guess is that there is some kind of life "contract" that the parties have agreed to before coming into this life . . .but the energy exchange is so uneven . . . how does the person who is giving service for years and years in intense, negative circumstances - how does that person avoid hatred and resentment towards the other person?

Same with kids who have to take care of their infirm parents for years and years. You could say in that example that the exchange is that the parents took care of them in infancy, and this is returning the favor.

But basically having someone dependent on you - and being okay with it instead of resentful - how is that humanly possible?

I understand that women are typically in caregiver roles and don't seem to resent it as much as many men - many of whom would just refuse to help whomever - and might just run away.

What are your thoughts on people who need care and those who are tasked with caring for them from a philosophical point-of-view. How do YOU make sense of the unequal energy exchange - and lack of balance?
Most people believe in Karma and some reincarnation. In your question you ask how. The answer is simple. The caregiver you have become in this life was most likely the reverse in another life. You would have been the cared for. Everything happens for a reason!!!

Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 AM

18,921 posts, read 27,410,665 times

To understand how it works, you need to change perspective.
Not from a standpoint of a single life but, from standpoint of eternity.
In eternity, via innumerable re existences, energy always balances itself.

Thing about it being, a human does not see the process through that span. Human sees only tiny little spack of it and rushes to conclusion.

One that knows, knows better.

One that knows, has very stoic approach to anything that he encounters in any given existence.
As anything that happens is always for the best.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:02 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Most people believe in Karma and some reincarnation. In your question you ask how. The answer is simple. The caregiver you have become in this life was most likely the reverse in another life. You would have been the cared for. Everything happens for a reason!!!
It's definitely not a majority who believe in karma or reincarnation. To the contrary, most believe the brain is born (and dies with) one's body. Newsweek indicated several years ago about 25% to 30% of the world's population believes in reincarnation (mostly among Buddhists and Hindus).

I agree many loosely think of karma as a source of comfort i.e. 'we all get what's coming to us', especially when we have felt wronged (as all of us have at some point); but to suggest it truly exists is the same as believing the world is not random, and all behavior is determined by the universe in parts to make it 'equal' and 'whole'.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:59 AM

19,638 posts, read 20,130,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

?
Anything is possible when you love someone.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:20 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Anything is possible when you love someone.
Huh? You're basing reincarnation on loving someone?

Old 02-03-2020, 04:43 PM

6,949 posts, read 4,419,226 times
I don’t believe in it and I doubt anyone would sign up for a lifetime of caregiving. Caregivers burn out often no matter how much they love the person.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM

189 posts, read 177,898 times
I don't believe in reincarnation at all. I have never experienced anything that leads me to believe there is anything after death. Nothing at all.
I strive to enjoy everyday....for once your gone....your gone forever. No second chances.

-G

Old 02-04-2020, 09:10 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Yes, this would be the explanation, OP. And it fits your "energy exchange" theory from the broader perspective (as someone else mentioned) of multiple lifetimes. Whether or not you, or anyone else here believes it, is another matter. But this is pretty much the "official" explanation.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Huh? You're basing reincarnation on loving someone?
His response was to this question only (in case you missed the quoted passage in his post):
Quote:
It was a good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy