Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 07:03 PM

99 posts, read 56,940 times

Advertisements

This is something I've thought about for a bit of time. The premise is that, everything we know about the world we inhabit can only come from one place, and that is through our own internal perspective. Everything we can know about this world is skewed through our mindset. This means that everything we know about the universe takes place during the time we are directly experiencing it and interpreting it.

The only sense of time we can truly feel is the time we experience as we live. There definitely is a definition of time in the physics standpoint as it would be absolutely impossible for events to take place without a notion of time as you have to compare either one event to another or to a period of non-event for the event to even be defined as an event.But as far as we know, everything we experience and everything in the universe is only there for us to see when we're alive to experience it.

We can't leave our own consciousness, our own nervous system, our own bodily-generated thoughts. This is as far as we can go (and is the reason why cooperation and society is absolutely necessary for us to advance to transcend this aspect in the superficial way at least) and everything we know is locked into this tight system. All the time in the universe we may as well know is what takes place during our lives as we only know the universe through what we can see.

Nobody can remember when they were born or whatever happened in the prenatal stage. And nobody will experience anything after they are well and truly dead and their body has ceased functioning. As far as we are concerned, these are places that are impossible to access. Since all the time in the universe we know is what we experience and interpret, I see it as your birth happens infinitely far in the past and your death happens infinitely far in the future. All time between those is all the time you can ever experience, so it may as well be all the time in the universe from the internal standpoint. So, really everyone's life is infinitely long as they can't leave the stream they're encased without not being aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 07:04 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Just accept it, you're gonna have to live until the day you die.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:08 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
This is something I've thought about for a bit of time. The premise is that, everything we know about the world we inhabit can only come from one place, and that is through our own internal perspective. Everything we can know about this world is skewed through our mindset. This means that everything we know about the universe takes place during the time we are directly experiencing it and interpreting it.

The only sense of time we can truly feel is the time we experience as we live. There definitely is a definition of time in the physics standpoint as it would be absolutely impossible for events to take place without a notion of time as you have to compare either one event to another or to a period of non-event for the event to even be defined as an event.But as far as we know, everything we experience and everything in the universe is only there for us to see when we're alive to experience it.

We can't leave our own consciousness, our own nervous system, our own bodily-generated thoughts. This is as far as we can go (and is the reason why cooperation and society is absolutely necessary for us to advance to transcend this aspect in the superficial way at least) and everything we know is locked into this tight system. All the time in the universe we may as well know is what takes place during our lives as we only know the universe through what we can see.

Nobody can remember when they were born or whatever happened in the prenatal stage. And nobody will experience anything after they are well and truly dead and their body has ceased functioning. As far as we are concerned, these are places that are impossible to access. Since all the time in the universe we know is what we experience and interpret, I see it as your birth happens infinitely far in the past and your death happens infinitely far in the future. All time between those is all the time you can ever experience, so it may as well be all the time in the universe from the internal standpoint. So, really everyone's life is infinitely long as they can't leave the stream they're encased without not being aware of it.

Sure. Science will define anything. After all, that is what they are paid for. Time does not exist. No one ever measure TIME. It is a convenience, initially accepted for practicality of life then utilized in science for whatever purposes. It is used to simply predict probability of an even to occur. But it does not exist in nature and outside of human notion of nature.

So, you have consciousness and then, you have body that generates thoughts? Hence, you have 2 consciousnesses? One is your own and one is body's?

we only know the universe through what we can see. It's solipsism.

Yes, there are special techniques allowing a person to go back through its existences. Including prenatal stage and so forth.
You do not remember birth (though there are rare cases) because Conscious Self does not enter the body until between age 3-5. Recall your first memory of your Self. that is when True You entered body.

Since all the time in the universe we know is what we experience and interpret, I see it as your birth happens infinitely far in the past and your death happens infinitely far in the future You came to this conclusion logically how? Care to elaborate?

Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post

Interesting perspective. I can see your logic for saying our lifetime is infinite. However, we measure time by number of earth's rotations around the sun. My death is not infinitely in the future; it is within a finite number of rotations.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
All worldly things disappear in time. Leaving no trace of their existence whatsoever.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:40 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 10 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
OP, while that is true from the individual's perspective, it does not change the fact that time WAS real before you were born and WILL STILL BE real after you are dead. I was born seven years before my brother, and I can truly attest to events that occurred before his existence. Those events were real to me, but not to him.

I think what you have written is a very comforting way to see it. Most people would still choose to see the future if they could. I, for one, would love to see the world in 2400, or even 3000, 5000, etc. Barring a medical breakthrough, those dates are not real to me since well, you know. But, they could be to my future descendant(s).

Perhaps consciousness is nothing more than a really complex chemical reaction.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post

Perhaps consciousness is nothing more than a really complex chemical reaction.
Methodological reductionism is a very dead idea.
Ontological reductionism fails and dies on the vine.

https://youtu.be/F6rd4HEdffw

Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 AM

691 posts, read 641,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Interesting perspective. I can see your logic for saying our lifetime is infinite. However, we measure time by number of earth's rotations around the sun. My death is not infinitely in the future; it is within a finite number of rotations.
Don't you mean by the earth's rotation on its axis?

Old 04-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Don't you mean by the earth's rotation on its axis?
You just took 6000 yrs off his lifespan.
Joykill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy