Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 08:15 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,171,853 times

Advertisements

I figure we are all here by astronomical odds. Of the 100 million sperm released during an ejaculate, the one sperm cell that contained my exact DNA makeup is the one (out of 100 million) that fertilized that specific egg. Apply those same odds to my ancestors. And on top of that, the millions of ancestors I have had were all able to procreate before dying or being killed. If just one of them was eaten at birth, I wouldn't be here today.

After all that trouble to make me, I figure I should at least see what it is all about. Also, I like living. When I no longer exist, it is likely that I will be indifferent about it all, but for now, I am having fun, so I may as well ride it out as long as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 PM

8,427 posts, read 6,807,349 times
I don’t mind going off into oblivion but dying to get there seems a little drastic.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:26 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,221,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This latter point is basically the OP's. If my apartment's floor so soon gets dirty, why do I ever bother cleaning it?
I have been messing around with the idea lately that the most fundamental experiences we have as humans are all derived from the structure of our universe.

Our universe is likely to die of heat death because there is not enough mass to cause a universal contraction. This means entropy will win in the end. We all observe in life that "things fall apart". But in another universe with different cosmological constants, is that true? Could a universe destined to expand and contract back to a singularity have an opposite problem of not enough chaos or randomness? Are there extremely rare universes which can exist in a steady state eternally where balance is considered the prime directive?

Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 PM

4,136 posts, read 2,433,812 times
Before Covid, I redid my will, living will and so forth. The directives are clear. I don't even want CPR. Now with Covid, I have reiterated, no ventilator. Go with dignity. I've had a good run on this side of the ground. That said, most people on both sides of my family live into their 90's so I have a ways to go I suppose.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM

I think a lot of people over think the inevitability of death. Reality is the present moment. The past and the future are illusions and are not worthy of contemplation.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:51 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,171,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I think a lot of people over think the inevitability of death. Reality is the present moment. The past and the future are illusions and are not worthy of contemplation.

What if they are all happening at the same time?

Doesn’t that make them also the present? And if that’s the case, are they still illusions?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:36 PM

8,546 posts, read 3,780,009 times
Quote:
That the past and future may be illusory doesn't make either 'unworthy' of contemplation.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:16 PM

628 posts, read 207,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Why bother trying to stay longer?
I found the guy who doesn't care about the future and isn't intrigued by the course of our species, our planet, man's technological evolution, etc.

This man has no dreams.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:17 PM

628 posts, read 207,722 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true child with no life experience.

History shapes your future. The current moment has no context or guidance without the past and the future.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:29 PM

Thank you. Your user name pretty much describes your immaturity and lack of intellect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy