Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM

429 posts, read 931,999 times

Advertisements

As someone with an academic background in philosophy and probably too much experience with the Internet ("too much" because I've wasted so much time online), I find it disheartening that so many forums have only a "Religion & Philosophy" board, and that so many "Religion & Philosophy" boards only seem to have threads that pertain to the former.

It reminds me of some bookstores I've seen. There used to be a small Walden's in my local mall that had a small philosophy section. Over time, it seemed like the number of philosophy books on those shelves kept shrinking, while the number of religious and new age books on those shelves kept growing. Not that they ever had a great philosophy selection, but they at least had some things that belonged under that heading--some Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche (always popular with high school students), Rand (ditto), Russell, that Wolff compilation (10 Great Philosophical Works or whatever it is called), and even very occasionally something like Nozick, Grayling, Quine, Deleuze & Guattari (probably not their biggest seller), etc. . . . then we were lucky to see stuff like Sophie's World, The Simpsons and Philosophy, The Philosophy of the Matrix, etc. on the shelves, and then it was basically nothing but some Bibles, some "inspiration" books, Gurdjieff, maybe a book about crystals, a book on horoscopes, etc.

I've always thought that US high schools schould require at least a year of Intro to Philosophy and a year of combined Critical Thinking/Formal and Informal Logic. That would probably help.

So, anyway . . . is there anyone interested in (academic) philosophy around here aside from philosophy of religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I am, though I've alway been on my own when it comes to philosophy and honestly I have a hard time wading through the works of the masters (I've got a short attention span ).

Sadly, thinking deeply and/or learning how to think deeply is not a priority of the U.S. schools system, so philosophers are few and far between these days. Religious zealots, on the other hand....well, thats why the forum is exactly as you complain about.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I have often though the same Luckydrawers, but the fact is that few people take an interest in philosophy and although I tried to read a fairly basic book on it I got pretty bogged down in logical contructs. Since then I have got a smattering of ideas of various philosophers from debating religious claims, but I can't say that I know my way around it, really.

Those who really take an interest in philosophy probably wouldn't post here. Philosophy is, I have to say, dragged in unwilling by one or other of the protagonists in the ongoing religious debate with a demand that it support one side or the other.

So, back to the fray.....

Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Oh, boy! Again, I have to recommend Doubt: A History. OP, have you read it???

Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I am, though I've alway been on my own when it comes to philosophy and honestly I have a hard time wading through the works of the masters (I've got a short attention span ).

Sadly, thinking deeply and/or learning how to think deeply is not a priority of the U.S. schools system, so philosophers are few and far between these days. Religious zealots, on the other hand....well, thats why the forum is exactly as you complain about.
Yes, generally, in America philosophy has been replaced by politics and religion. People don't like to discuss ideas, but prefer to argue over politics and religion.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
I don't really know enough about "academic" philosophy to discuss it in depth. I'd like to, but I wouldn't dare claim I'm at that point currently. I can understand some basics, but the few times I've opened up a thread that contains "real" philosophical discussion, it's...ahem...a bit over my head, to put it mildly.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM

18 posts, read 32,937 times
I aced my Philosophy class in college so I think I am good at it. What exactly do you want to discuss about it?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I have tried threads on human nature (in a philosophic sense), utilitarianism, and positivism. The human nature one was probably the most successful, but the utilitarianism one did okay I guess.

I admit my actual reading in philosophy is weak though. Also when it comes to philosophy I've largely been interested in Chinese or Scholastic philosophers. More modern philosophy I'm weaker on still. Also I think philosophy doesn't pack the same personal/emotional issues for people. I don't know that many here are highly invested in Existentialism, Objectivism, Phenomenology, Pragmatism, Consequentialism, or what have you.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM

429 posts, read 931,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joykeenan View Post
I aced my Philosophy class in college so I think I am good at it. What exactly do you want to discuss about it?
I'd rather start another thread for specific topics, but with you I'd like to discuss an issue of epistemic justification: namely, the logic, but not the specific content, of your argument re the Dead Sea Scrolls yesterday. I didn't check that thread yet to see your response to me trying to ferret out what your argument would actually be, though.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 AM

18 posts, read 32,937 times
I googled about epistemic justification. The best examples of these I believe is seeing the evolution vs creation debate threads in here. You see self confessed logicals with or without scientific backgrounds presenting their justification based on what articles they read, videos they watched with matching links to them. Those with scientific background incessantly said they have experience to the evidence they actually are presenting. The creationists also presents their justification based on articles they read, videos they watched with matching links to them. Some even post supernatural experiences they actually experienced like demonic possessions.

As a reader of those posts, I of course will side with the creation logic. Because we have the same foundations of our belief. Does that answer your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy