Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/SquigglyDigg/sta...84685567143942

There is a thing on twitter people are complaining about since the popular movie Lilo and Stitch is being debated. Most people say lilo has a right to act out because she lost her parents in a car accident.

I don't get this mind set, people who face loss or some trial and tribulation are good people when they overcome it and not let it define themselves.

Instead some people obsess over their own perceived tragedy and make other people feel like they are less than what they are.

What makes you a good person isn't what you do, but how you make other people feel. And dragging down others is not rooted in some hidden depth of your personality.

I know many people who have gone through a bad event and think they are morally obliged to look down on others. I have met a few who have been through worse and still were there for others when they were needed and didn't let one event define them. This goes for kids as well as adults.

With the exception for some mental cases in which people are more valuable like autism or something (I don't want to get into that), a normal well functioning person can get over whatever they went through.

It doesn't make you a more important person or a more interesting person, and it doesn't give you the right to bring other people down. The moralizing by people who have faced difficult times is a problem because many who haven't assume these victims are deeper than them.

I know it is easy to move on, people who don't tend to be lying to themselves as well as others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 06:39 PM

378 posts, read 230,414 times
Lilo is a child from a fractured home with no friends. Both her parents passed away and her sister's struggling to keep her from foster care. Lilo's all too aware of her situation and reacts to such stresses accordingly. This isn't an excuse for her behavior. It's an explanation. She's not a "deep" character because of her situation. She's a honest look at children growing up under those crappy conditions. Tragic stuff really.

As for Lilo' s right to act out, she's a child. Perhaps it's not fair for her to lash out at peers, but she's not exactly an emotionally mature adult. She's not even an emotionally well-adjusted kid. The child has issues. She needed help.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://twitter.com/SquigglyDigg/sta...84685567143942

There is a thing on twitter people are complaining about since the popular movie Lilo and Stitch is being debated. Most people say lilo has a right to act out because she lost her parents in a car accident.

I don't get this mind set, people who face loss or some trial and tribulation are good people when they overcome it and not let it define themselves.

Instead some people obsess over their own perceived tragedy and make other people feel like they are less than what they are.

What makes you a good person isn't what you do, but how you make other people feel. And dragging down others is not rooted in some hidden depth of your personality.

I know many people who have gone through a bad event and think they are morally obliged to look down on others. I have met a few who have been through worse and still were there for others when they were needed and didn't let one event define them. This goes for kids as well as adults.

With the exception for some mental cases in which people are more valuable like autism or something (I don't want to get into that), a normal well functioning person can get over whatever they went through.

It doesn't make you a more important person or a more interesting person, and it doesn't give you the right to bring other people down. The moralizing by people who have faced difficult times is a problem because many who haven't assume these victims are deeper than them.

I know it is easy to move on, people who don't tend to be lying to themselves as well as others.
Thats incoherent.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Thats incoherent.
How so?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:35 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
How so?
See the post above mine, compare it to yours.
It looks like you're trying to make a point, what is it ?.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
See the post above mine, compare it to yours.
It looks like you're trying to make a point, what is it ?.
Yeah so I just watch the move again.

Acting out is putting it lightly. My point was and is that putting a difficult situation as the be all end all of your character is not an emotional response, but a deliberate tool to justify a lack of empathy.

You see empathy is not just about understanding what people think relative to you as an individual, its about figuring out what they want and giving it to them. What they want is rarely what they say, but can be discovered through limited contemplation.

Examples include someone you wronged who hates you. Your immediate reaction can be to rectify their perception of you, but again that is an egocentric mind set. Sometimes the better person tries not to become the hero but stay the villain in that person's eyes because that is what they need.

There is no immediate satisfaction, but learning to be helpful means more than learning to be special.

In Lilo's case, she has a loving sibling who is trying to make things work, and all she does is make it harder on her. I don't care about her age, even when I was a kid I could figure these things out.

Even more importantly Lilo is not actually a kid, she is a cartoon character created by grown adults. She should embody good traits to teach others, not self-contemplative traits that teach the audience they are the only thing that matters.

The audience leaves the movie thinking Lilo did no wrong and was rather rewarded a friend to relieve her pain and suffering. That same turmoil is an illusion, she was dealt a good hand with her family, and she made it harder on them.

Americans are taught the same lesson by Hollywood and no the media, your turmoil makes you who you are and others should respect that. Not, you are who you are regardless of external circumstances.

That is true regardless of whatever justification people use to try and monetize their struggles at the expense of others. They have just the same means to be happy as someone born into a four person family with endless sources of income. The exact same means.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I know nothing of that movie and, does not look like I'll be interested in another blown out of proportion psycho drama.
But, even at a glance, it looks like one person is using whatever excuse, to manipulate others, by instilling in them sense of guilt and compassion to poor, ill treated by...... character. And don't tell me, children don't know how to manipulate, they are about the best manipulators as they can, normally, get away with it.

@post#2.
We have PLENTY of such stories everywhere. Entire world is depicted as dark ...hole, where people are nothing bty treated wrong, have dysfunctional families and live in crime or, otherwise, struggle with or suffer from unfairness in life. Then, they grow up and have their revenge, because "they had bad childhood".
It could have been much more educational to portray something completely opposite - normal families, happy children, normal life as, anywhere I turn, I see plenty of that.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
I was in the boy scouts. If you want to see instant Lord of the Flies behavior, take a bunch of boys on a camping trip without enough food for everyone to be satisfied.

That is tiny bit of adversity someone may face. And some people face it well with dignity and a sense of fairness. Others... become monsters.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I was in the boy scouts. If you want to see instant Lord of the Flies behavior, take a bunch of boys on a camping trip without enough food for everyone to be satisfied.

That is tiny bit of adversity someone may face. And some people face it well with dignity and a sense of fairness. Others... become monsters.
The funny thing is many times adversity as regards scarcity of supplies increases cooperation between a group.

But then kids who are feel entitled to a certain amount of subsistence don't care about all that.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Yeah so I just watch the move again.

Acting out is putting it lightly. My point was and is that putting a difficult situation as the be all end all of your character is not an emotional response, but a deliberate tool to justify a lack of empathy.

You see empathy is not just about understanding what people think relative to you as an individual, its about figuring out what they want and giving it to them. What they want is rarely what they say, but can be discovered through limited contemplation.

Examples include someone you wronged who hates you. Your immediate reaction can be to rectify their perception of you, but again that is an egocentric mind set. Sometimes the better person tries not to become the hero but stay the villain in that person's eyes because that is what they need.

There is no immediate satisfaction, but learning to be helpful means more than learning to be special.

In Lilo's case, she has a loving sibling who is trying to make things work, and all she does is make it harder on her. I don't care about her age, even when I was a kid I could figure these things out.

Even more importantly Lilo is not actually a kid, she is a cartoon character created by grown adults. She should embody good traits to teach others, not self-contemplative traits that teach the audience they are the only thing that matters.

The audience leaves the movie thinking Lilo did no wrong and was rather rewarded a friend to relieve her pain and suffering. That same turmoil is an illusion, she was dealt a good hand with her family, and she made it harder on them.

Americans are taught the same lesson by Hollywood and no the media, your turmoil makes you who you are and others should respect that. Not, you are who you are regardless of external circumstances.

That is true regardless of whatever justification people use to try and monetize their struggles at the expense of others. They have just the same means to be happy as someone born into a four person family with endless sources of income. The exact same means.

I would wager what I bolded, is something most parents have to face from time to time. We make decisions for our kids, knowing it's not a popular decision, and your child will resent you for it, but you know in the long run, it's the right decision to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy