Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 08:38 PM

652 posts, read 522,397 times

Advertisements

From my understanding he was against religion however he believe it was good for society. But why?>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 09:06 AM

11,118 posts, read 7,180,697 times
Aristotle was for a lot of things, so not into negativities and restrictions. Many of the Greek were about expanding capabilities and considerations; broadening one's abilities and horizons. They put a high value and priority on quality life.

Plato talked about the soul and higher matters. It's all good. No problem or issue to waste time on fabricating.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:25 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
From my understanding he was against religion however he believe it was good for society. But why?>

IMO probably because it tends to provide a behavioral social construct, which if followed, (not just selectively, especially by the leaders who wish to assert control) - usually benefits people 'socially' by providing a social structure and hierarchy with human group survival and improvement in mind. I surmise from his position in the society of his day he had exposure to many of the different classes of people of varying educational and cognitive levels through his learning and teaching and likely thought it provided some manner of social self control. So, if he was exposed to religions that sought human welfare, improvement and advancement he likely saw value in those.

You might find John Reigstad's book The Logic of God of interest. He talks about the Aristotlean approach to respect enlightened Pluralism. The affirmation of your own religious tradition and the tradition of your ancestors while remaining sympathetic to the PEACEFUL traditions of others.

FWIW

Old 11-03-2020, 05:57 AM

705 posts, read 507,802 times
Quote:
Religion is a good hobby, keeps people occupied for hours at a time. Although it’s been proven to be quite dangerous and fatal too.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,222,809 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what was "religion" like in Aristotle's time? Was it the in your face (convert or die/go to hell) mentality of fundamentalist Muslims and Christians? I would assume no, but I'm curious on how the definition and practices of religion have changed in the last ~2500 years.

On the surface I tend to agree that religion is good for society. Aside from the fundamentalists I think in general all religions have a focus on doing good and loving your neighbor.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Quote:
easier to control the masses that way.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:58 AM

867 posts, read 724,856 times
There is a book on this topic. I haven't read it, but here's a review:

https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/aristotle-on-religion/

Old 11-09-2020, 01:11 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
Institutionalized religion was always a tool of the ruling class and their hangers on to keep the unwashed masses in line and obedient. After all those in power had a mandate from God. Philosophers may have disagreed but might incur the wrath of their earthly masters.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:41 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,320,520 times
Religion can be seen as a path to live in a civil society, socialize, etc. Some religions may have an influence on good dietary habits. It can be a path to healthy social habits. I am an atheist, but I see the value in some religious practices. (Dunno about Aristotle though!)

Old 02-07-2021, 01:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,503,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Religion can be seen as a path to live in a civil society, socialize, etc. Some religions may have an influence on good dietary habits. It can be a path to healthy social habits. I am an atheist, but I see the value in some religious practices. (Dunno about Aristotle though!)
See but that’s also where many of the problems come from, especially the part about civil society. If a person requires religion to codify behaviour, then it becomes questionable whether they genuinely adhere to ethics or whether divine punishment plays a role in their attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy