Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 01:25 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,464,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think that even staunch atheists would agree that such technological advances were created to maximize what we can accomplish in a lifetime.
They were built in order to facilitate life. As humanity evolved, so did its needs. What worked during the Stone Age was no longer viable down the line. These developments were needed to accommodate a growing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 05:05 AM

7,092 posts, read 12,606,444 times
Personally, though the end of life (in this dimension) comes to us all, I prefer to live my years with joy instead of misery. And perhaps do some good along the way....

Old 03-03-2021, 06:41 AM

13,271 posts, read 8,382,760 times
Quote:
Is this what people are referring to when they mention Nihilism? When this sentiment is brought up in conversation, it completely discounts the joy of working for the next generation, maybe even leaving them something so they don't have to reinvent the wheel and start off in debt. Wasted effort and wasted money.

With the exception of all but the most prominent visionaries, humans tend to not want to take on projects exceeding their life span. (If they won't see the finished product at the end of it, they won't sign off on the idea at all.) Doing my part in getting some generational wealth rolling is exciting. I enjoy the feeling that I will have something to leave behind.
I agree that nihilism is the theme here in concept for the thread starter.

Usually I tell folks...well if that's the end all. Try this, order a sandwich with ham, cheese , lettuce. When it's brought to you ,all you get is a slice of bread. After all your going to digest it, then relinquish it from your body. So just eat the bread.
Nevermind that you love the taste
Of ham and cheese. And you paid to have that. The Alfa and Omega is all that matters.

With that said, I'll be going to eat my ham and cheese sandwich because life is more then two slices of bread ,

Old 03-03-2021, 07:52 AM

18,911 posts, read 27,378,886 times
Correct. That is exactly what WILL happen. It will all, eventually, crumble to dust. Same will happen to all your possessions (you don't even own your body, it is borrowed from nature). Sensual pleasures of various kinds, encountered, will be forgotten in old age and, even when remembered, they are nothing but ashes of real experiences. Might, as well, be movie memories.
Also, not everyone does anything in life. Plenty of those, that simply exist, consume, proliferate, while they can, dispose of waste and go with the wind, whichever way it blows. Their mental horizon stops at the food counter, bed, and TV screen.
That, again, brings to a very good philosophical question, that you touched.
Why do we do, what we do? What is the motivation, inner one, while it is clearly obvious that any effort is futile?

What brings to my 2 postulates. In case #2, there is investment into the future. HOPE.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,407,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Correct. That is exactly what WILL happen. It will all, eventually, crumble to dust. Same will happen to all your possessions (you don't even own your body, it is borrowed from nature). Sensual pleasures of various kinds, encountered, will be forgotten in old age and, even when remembered, they are nothing but ashes of real experiences. Might, as well, be movie memories.
Also, not everyone does anything in life. Plenty of those, that simply exist, consume, proliferate, while they can, dispose of waste and go with the wind, whichever way it blows. Their mental horizon stops at the food counter, bed, and TV screen.
That, again, brings to a very good philosophical question, that you touched.
Why do we do, what we do? What is the motivation, inner one, while it is clearly obvious that any effort is futile?

What brings to my 2 postulates. In case #2, there is investment into the future. HOPE.
Is there something to be said of those with an impulsive nature "living in the now"? Are they the ones truly living life to its fullest?

Old 03-03-2021, 01:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,122,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I encourage you to debunk this thought, why no matter what you do, the result will be the same, no matter how much money you make, your money later on will be worthless for you, no matter how happy you were, your thoughts will die with you, no matter how famous you are, you will not be there to witness it.

I'll debunk it quickly. Convert every asset you own into cash and send all the cash to me. You have no reason not to if you really believe what you say, that what you do doesn't matter because it all ends the same eventually.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Is there something to be said of those with an impulsive nature "living in the now"? Are they the ones truly living life to its fullest?
Compulsive behaviors? Heavily encouraged by media?
I am no to judge. I believe, this is indoctrinated. Result of general materialistic concept of life and individualism. I want it all, I want it now. Well, he got it all, didn’t he?

Old 03-03-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'll debunk it quickly. Convert every asset you own into cash and send all the cash to me. You have no reason not to if you really believe what you say, that what you do doesn't matter because it all ends the same eventually.
I’ll do it. Under one condition. You WILL provide indisputable proof that you will take one penny of it with you, after death.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,407,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Compulsive behaviors? Heavily encouraged by media?
I am no to judge. I believe, this is indoctrinated. Result of general materialistic concept of life and individualism. I want it all, I want it now. Well, he got it all, didn’t he?
Question was meant to be as ridiculous as it sounds. Poses the possibility that the world is so twisted that it rewards consumption and attaches to the wages, or outright punishes productivity, in laws or social constructs of perceived entitlements. Merchant platforms and payment cards alike are increasingly consumer-centric and place the burden of proof on merchants to establish valid transactions.

Just a thought-provoking notion. Need-based aid is at constant odds with merit-based reward structures. We have been divided and conquered (manipulated).

Old 03-03-2021, 04:11 PM

I wanted to add a thought.
Question arises then - how so, that certain humans behave in certain ways? And, in many instances, they have certain inclinations from, literally, birth. No being able to explain such tendencies with an indoctrination of some kind , should it be family or school or else social type of influence. Some are just “good” and some are just “bad “ no matter what you do to the.
Like as if they were pre programmed that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy