Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Part of the problem I have is in the phrase "But the appeal to reason." It is similar to the problem I have with ideas revolving "perfectly rational" persons. I am not sure either of those think objectively exist when it comes to morals and values, they seem subjective constructs. ...

Say a person thinks it is reasonable to take a 0.00001% chance of being a billionaire, against a 99.99999% chance of being a pauper. How would you objectively show that such a stance is unreasonable?
That’s easy. We rely on the concept of “expectation”, from probability theory. If a lottery ticket costs $1, with payout of $1M, and the probability of wining is 1/1,000,000, then the expected value of a lottery ticket is $0. I neither gain nor lose by playing. If the ticket costs $0.50, then I should play, assuming unlimited reserves. And if it costs $2, then I shouldn’t play at all.

In our social-experiment, we can estimate the probability of being a king, a nobleman, a peasant, a slave and so on… and then calculate the “payout” of each station in society. If it’s so lopsided that the probability of being born king is vanishingly small, and the payout isn’t that high… then it would be stupid to gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 03:08 PM

884 posts, read 356,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That’s easy. We rely on the concept of “expectation”, from probability theory. If a lottery ticket costs $1, with payout of $1M, and the probability of wining is 1/1,000,000, then the expected value of a lottery ticket is $0. I neither gain nor lose by playing. If the ticket costs $0.50, then I should play, assuming unlimited reserves. And if it costs $2, then I shouldn’t play at all.

In our social-experiment, we can estimate the probability of being a king, a nobleman, a peasant, a slave and so on… and then calculate the “payout” of each station in society. If it’s so lopsided that the probability of being born king is vanishingly small, and the payout isn’t that high… then it would be stupid to gamble.
I fully agree that you can use expectation and logic as you did above. However you have made the assumption that the expected value is what is "valuable" to people. That is the subjective part I'm talking about.

Someone else (risk averse) may say the expected value is not important, increasing the lowest quartile as high as possible is what is important. Indeed I believe this is what Rawls thinks.

Someone else (pro risk) may say the expected value is not important, increasing the highest quartile as high as possible is what is important.

Within each scenario you can use logic to justify outcomes. But I don't see how you can objectively select between scenarios as to which is better - that is subjective and depends on what is subjectively "valuable" to you.

Last edited by Peter600; 04-22-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-24-2021, 05:24 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah...I'm not sure I DO understand this...or, if I do understand this, how could it even work? How would you be able to execute this experiment?

It almost seems like, to me, that people would have to become Stepford Wives of some sort. We navigate our world through our senses and perceptions...to somehow turn them off, it seems like it would more likely make people nervous and panicky...
The veil of ignorance means, would you design a world where homeless junkies sleep on park benches while billionaires fly around in helicopters, if you didn't know if you would be born as a junkie or a billionaire?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 AM

884 posts, read 356,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The veil of ignorance means, would you design a world where homeless junkies sleep on park benches while billionaires fly around in helicopters, if you didn't know if you would be born as a junkie or a billionaire?
Yes. Rawls seems to argue that if you didn't know if you would be born as a junkie or a billionaire, you would choose for there to be less junkies even if there were less billionaires. He presents this as a logical, objective argument. I'm saying that it is actually a subjective argument and there is no way to logical demonstrate it.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:27 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Yes. Rawls seems to argue that if you didn't know if you would be born as a junkie or a billionaire, you would choose for there to be less junkies even if there were less billionaires. He presents this as a logical, objective argument. I'm saying that it is actually a subjective argument and there is no way to logically demonstrate it.
I tend to agree with your position on this topic aross the board.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:47 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
The veil of ignorance, like classical liberal values of objectivity and tolerance, is not utopian but pragmatic. So I disagree that it requires society to describe an ideal society. Rather it requires them to describe a society that is not bad.

That said, I think you have hit upon a valid criticism of it. Complex societies require different roles from different people, and this variance in roles produces hierarchies. This actually works better than it sounds in theory because people have different preferences. As an example, most people prefer to be followers.

This is also why the Golden Rule breaks down, because you only know how you would react not how someone else would react.

The veil of ignorance is laudable as is the Golden Rule, but it's not perfect and shouldn't be used as a razor when designing a "perfect" social order.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
The veil of ignorance is a thought experiment that suggest that people in a society should adopt a "veil of ignorance" before deciding on the moral principles that the society should follow. When behind the veil of ignorance, any given person does not know who they will end up as in the society - they will not know their race gender, social status, wealth, location, etc.

On the surface it sounds very appealing to me. It is a thought experiment that should remove biases based on the positions people have in society.

Now I understand that there are practical problems with it. None of us flawed humans would be able to completely dispose of the biases and adopt the veil of ignorance. But that is not my question.

My question is whether, even in a perfect utopian world, whether the veil of ignorance would get agreement among society as to what the perfect morals principles for that society. I am not convinced that different people behind the veil of ignorance would be able to agree on the perfect conditions for society even if they were able to rid themselves of the biases they hold from their position in society. In other words I think there is a natural variance to human ideals that would exist even if people were able to step behind the veil of ignorance.

What do other people think of this idea?

EDIT

The reason I was thinking of this in the first place, is that I was contemplating how, if at all, society could be made less polarised. Practically I understand the limitations, and that is somewhat simple and obvious. Trump and Ocasio Cortez, for example, regardless of any practically feasible veils of ignorance. But I think that theoretically also there are limitations, even in a perfect world. That is what I wanted to explore.
rigorous self honesty pete. Are we doing the best we can or are we trying to "save others" with a personal emotional belief system?

Are we trying to help, guide, heal? or are we trying to insert what we want?

Both of them require us to have a veil of ignorance, denial, and deceit.

Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy