Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 05:15 PM

884 posts, read 356,885 times

Advertisements

I often see mentions of the slippery slope fallacy, and often it is label unambiguously as a fallacy. But is a slippery slope argument always a logical fallacy? I don't think so - I think it is sometimes a fallacy and sometimes not.

Take the slippery slope argument:

If A happens, then B will happen, then C will happen. We really don't want C to happen, so we must not do A.

This is a fallacy if there is no reason to support that A will lead to B, or B will lead to C. Equally, it is not a fallacy if there is such evidence.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Peter600; 03-09-2022 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 04:34 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
In terms of human relationships, I see it as anticipation but that doesn't necessarily mean it will come true. For example, if I were to say something political at the dinner table, there are a variety of reactions I can get. Some people can contribute to the discussion calmly while others will become angry. To be told beforehand that I shouldn't say anything political because then J will become angry and then want to leave, that is a prediction that may have a high chance of happening but it is not guaranteed.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
In terms of human relationships, I see it as anticipation but that doesn't necessarily mean it will come true. For example, if I were to say something political at the dinner table, there are a variety of reactions I can get. Some people can contribute to the discussion calmly while others will become angry. To be told beforehand that I shouldn't say anything political because then J will become angry and then want to leave, that is a prediction that may have a high chance of happening but it is not guaranteed.
Yeah, and you make a good point about chance. Often what is referred as a slippery slope fallacy is an increase chance than one event will then lead to another - neither a 100% guarantee, nor a complete fallacy.

So in you example it would be a slippery slope (but without a 100% certainty that you will slip down the slope, to use the metaphor.)

It's just something I thought about, because for all my life I have seen the slippery slope referred to as a fallacy, When i think it is only sometimes a fallacy.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:12 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,153 times
It's not always a fallacy. I have observed many times in my life where slippery slope arguments have come true.

None of the canonical fallacies are airtight. There's even something to capture that, the fallacy fallacy.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:24 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Today's ceiling is tomorrow's floor.

When bad things happen for a long time, people become inured and accept it as ordinary and usual. Then then next bad thing is only incrementally worse, so people begin to accept that.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
It depends. At its core, it depends on the validity or reality of the slope in the first place, and said slope doesn't have a non-arbitrary stopping point anywhere on its descent.

IE, same sex marriage; there were ridiculous "where will it stop?" arguments. Well, with two consenting adults. That's where it stops. You can't marry a farm animal or a vacuum cleaner for the very simple reason that one party isn't a consenting adult.

Or a recent one from the news, the Ohio mayor that said "Ice fishing leads to prostitution." "If we allow ice fishing, what if people want to have ice shanties? And if we allow ice shanties, that leads to prostitution." Absurdity aside, it ignores that there aer stops along the way, such as prohibiting ice shanties, or prohibiting ice shanties left on the lake for more than 12 hours, etc...

Old 03-10-2022, 03:38 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I don't know. What I do know is that I've grown tired of saying "I told you so" to people who can't see logical consequences.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It depends. At its core, it depends on the validity or reality of the slope in the first place, and said slope doesn't have a non-arbitrary stopping point anywhere on its descent.

IE, same sex marriage; there were ridiculous "where will it stop?" arguments. Well, with two consenting adults. That's where it stops. You can't marry a farm animal or a vacuum cleaner for the very simple reason that one party isn't a consenting adult.

Or a recent one from the news, the Ohio mayor that said "Ice fishing leads to prostitution." "If we allow ice fishing, what if people want to have ice shanties? And if we allow ice shanties, that leads to prostitution." Absurdity aside, it ignores that there aer stops along the way, such as prohibiting ice shanties, or prohibiting ice shanties left on the lake for more than 12 hours, etc...
I agree. And further I think the onus is on the person suggesting a slippery slope to demonstrate that the slope is actually slippery. If that Ohio mayor wanted me to accept their argument, they should demonstrate that each link between ice fishing and prostitution holds - it is on them to demonstrate that (of course I doubt they could as I don't think the intermediate links between the two make sense).

Old 03-10-2022, 07:39 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Confucius say: since the advent of "New Math" it doesn't take much to go from A to C, even in the absence of gravity!

Old 03-10-2022, 08:20 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,233 times
Well, we did start with Jacksons and Beauregards and it didn’t take long at all before we got to Jeffersons and Washingtons…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy