Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 05:56 AM

884 posts, read 357,119 times

Advertisements

For this thread, I'm defining the "good life" as the kind of life that an individual may dream of living.

What kind of life is that for you?

Note this thread covers similar themes to another thread "Have any of you written a guide to living well." However that thread is referencing a guide to living, while this is referencing the end goal of living life (whether or not you achieve that goal).

For me it is living a life that is monetarily and materially comfortable (it doesn't need to be opulent - but I want it to be comfortable), rich in human interaction and friendships and love. It involves continuously striving to learn about the world - whether that knowledge comforts me or not. I have a desire to chase the truth, even if it sometimes opposes happiness. It involves questioning myself often, about my beliefs, assumptions and decisions, so that I never simply freewheel down the road of life. Instead I want to have understanding of the true nature of the road I'm going down, and agency to affect it. Equally I want to be able to forget about the things I have no control over and let them wash over me like water off a ducks back.

It is making a mark on the world and making a positive difference to those around me. I have no need for ultimate and universal meaning in life - whether the universe will remember me or not in a million years is irrelevant to me. The meaning I derive is from my wellness, and from the positive impact I make on those around me. I have no expectation for that impact to be timeless - even the Einstein's and Lincoln's and Gate's will one day be forgotten (whether in a hundred years or a billion years).

What about you?

Last edited by Peter600; 04-01-2022 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 06:33 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
My concept of the "good life" is about the same as yours.

While money can't buy you happiness in some absolute sense, basic financial and food security forms the basis for anything beyond the struggle for survival. It's been shown that increased income DOES increase happiness, TO A POINT. And that point is WAY before you're some high-riding billionaire with more money than sense.

After that, yes, curiosity and learning about the world and how best to be in it without angst is its own reward.

I would add that the good life should involve relationships that organically and without excessive effort, are mutually enjoyable and rewarding without significant cross-currents and undertows. That may be the only part of my dream of the good life that is unobtanium, though. I mean I'm not asking for effortless relationships, just ones where effort and intent are somewhat equal to reward. In general I find people far too complicated and inconsistent for that to be true, and the feeling is probably mutual by now, lol.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
I feel like I'm pretty much living "the good life". I'm in a happy and loving marriage. We make enough money to be able to pay the bills, own a home, and still have money to enjoy more than just what's necessary.

We don't have a second home anywhere, but we own a piece of property on a lake, with a cabin and a couple of trailers on it, and when the weather is decent, that's where we spend our weekends...and we enjoy it very much. AND we can afford to go somewhere on a vacation once in awhile. So yeah...life is good. I'm thankful.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:57 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post

It is making a mark on the world and making a positive difference to those around me. I have no need for ultimate and universal meaning in life - whether the universe will remember me or not in a million years is irrelevant to me. The meaning I derive is from my wellness, and from the positive impact I make on those around me. I have no expectation for that impact to be timeless - even the Einstein's and Lincoln's and Gate's will one day be forgotten (whether in a hundred years or a billion years).

What about you?
How does whipping people into being more productive at a corporate workplace translate in terms of making a positive difference?

Old 04-01-2022, 08:04 AM

I've got some mileage on me, so I look at my life lived as much as where I currently am.

And most of it was pretty decent.

I've fallen short a lot in terms of where I thought I wanted to be, but that's me.

My goals are pretty weird and are not typical.

I try and appreciate life for what it is no matter where I am. At least these days I do.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
How does whipping people into being more productive at a corporate workplace translate in terms of making a positive difference?
I don't know, did I imply that? I think increased productivity does make life better, but can also can make it miserable if done badly. It can also, in some instances, increase inequality. Increasing productivity without increasing the stress of employees, and without driving inequality is the sweet spot for me.

But I didn't intend to make that point in my previous post at all - I elucidated here because of your reply.

Quote:
I've got some mileage on me, so I look at my life lived as much as where I currently am.

And most of it was pretty decent.

I've fallen short a lot in terms of where I thought I wanted to be, but that's me.

My goals are pretty weird and are not typical.

I try and appreciate life for what it is no matter where I am. At least these days I do.
Do you mind sharing those goals, if you are comfortable? Otherwise no worries.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:57 AM

I want to add - my version of the good life in the OP is not tied to specifics. That is because I believe that there are a number of different specific ways for me to achieve that good life.

If your version of the good life is specific, I'd like to hear about that too. For an example I just invented - "Make over $150,000 a year and live in a 3 bedroom house in Vermont with a partner and 2 children."

Old 04-01-2022, 02:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
the good life for me includes good health, close family and friends i love and love me, and enough money to live comfortably. all other things in my life are gravy.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Do you mind sharing those goals, if you are comfortable? Otherwise no worries.
Probably say atypical for my age.

Still looking for a job with more meaning, or to do something different, and willing to give up money to do it. Not too many people my age are willing to do that.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:16 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
A par round of golf and an excellent steak afterwards. And an ice cold beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy