Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 05:42 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

No, it doesn't; I have a strong faith in the Biblical Christian religion. And even if it were true (since my belief is based on faith not any physical knowledge; if you had concrete knowledge of something, it wouldn't be faith. When I see Christians say they "know" their beliefs are true, I wonder if they understand what they're talking about and think they probably haven't thought it out. That is why whenever I talk about "knowing" something about my faith, since it is so strong I feel in my own mind that I do "know" it, I always clarify that I know "by faith"), I wouldn't know it; so things I don't know don't engender any reactions in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on how you treat the people you cross paths with in life. Are you a jerk, or kind and thoughtful, or some of each depending on whether it's a bad or good day?

In theory, you won't have the rug whipped out from under you, unless you've done something to deserve it. Better watch your step!

That's another thing, Ruth. I consider myself a "good" person (by society's standards--certainly not by the standards of my Heavenly Father!); I strive daily to walk with Jesus and follow in my heart, mind and actions all his commandments. I try to love others more than myself and truly do onto them as I would have them do onto me (not as they do onto me as so many people I see out there act).

I truly believe if everyone followed all of the teachings of Jesus, namely in their interactions with others (though I do not believe they can do this without first loving God above all things) much of the misery of today's world would be eliminated. We would only have to deal with the catastrophes that nature brings upon us. Yet, with neighbors doing all they can do benefit the lives of their neighbors, even these kinds of things would be greatly mitigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 09:31 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Reincarnation is just another one of those religious feel good beliefs that we don’t really die just go to a better place or transform into another living thing. Life ends at death just like any other creature that inhabits this world. Just embrace this life despite all its flaws before the curtain falls and the show ends.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:48 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm currently reading a book on the history of concentration camps, very depressing reading, given the abuse and cruelty many of them faced in these hellish places, but I got to thinking about the possibility of reincarnation. Could it be? They were being punished for something they did in a past life?

Old 04-26-2022, 02:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm currently reading a book on the history of concentration camps, very depressing reading, given the abuse and cruelty many of them faced in these hellish places, but I got to thinking about the possibility of reincarnation. Could it be? They were being punished for something they did in a past life?
Lots of people suffer in life -- not just concentration camp victims, although that's what's invariably cited. People suffer terrible physical afflictions and even mental/emotional pain that doesn't show and no one sees. I personally don't believe anyone who is unhappy in life is being punished, nor are those born lucky, as the saying goes, and I know many, being rewarded, but some people's sense of earthly/temporal justice demands such an accounting or balancing act, especially if they don't believe in a so-called Judgment Day.

I personally don't look or hope for "fairness" in this world, but that's me...

The only compelling reason for me to believe in reincarnation is the phenomenon of savants. How is one born into this world with seeming knowledge, skill, inclination, interest, and talent that isn't neither learned here nor imposed upon them (like Mozart composing at age three)? The argument against it, in my mind, is the presence upon dying, according to near-death experiences, of departed loved ones greeting the departing soul. Apparently they're "there" waiting and not off living some other new life as a surgeon in California or whatever. Scoff if you will, but I've seen enough to believe NDEs are real.

As I say, overall reincarnation does NOT appeal, so... I hope not!

Last edited by otterhere; 04-26-2022 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-26-2022, 02:09 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Reincarnation is just another one of those religious feel good beliefs that we don’t really die just go to a better place or transform into another living thing. Life ends at death just like any other creature that inhabits this world. Just embrace this life despite all its flaws before the curtain falls and the show ends.

It is true that we don't know that there is something after death; however, it is equally true that we do not know that there is not something after death and I feel that if someone were to deny this, they are not being honest with themselves. I can choose to be rude here to make a point, but the simple fact is that no one existing right now has been dead to tell us what it is like. We see that those who are dead obviously do not have anymore to do with this life; however, before you were born you did not have any way of perceiving this life either.

It's good that you have the attitude that you do have regarding this life. I am not that strong however. If I was not absolutely certain, by faith, that I will dwell with the Lord Jesus forever without sin, I would have killed myself and it would not have been difficult to do that (because of where I work I can't really divulge why it would be fairly easy). However, it is only my faith that prevents me from going down that route. I am just not that strong of a person to continue in a life that would be meaningless to me i.e. never seeing my husband again and knowing he died for absolutely no reason, just a stroke of bad luck. That is not something I am able to mentally handle.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:53 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Sometimes I think we're just the dogs we see around us. Some of us are owned by good gods, some of us are owned by bad gods, some of us are owned by negligent gods, and some of us just have to make it on our own because no one wants to own us.

Maybe the owners of us die or become incapacitated some way.

I found a baby mouse in my trailer last year. I put him outside and put out a little food for him every night in a small box only he could get into. I did this for months.

Two months ago I broke my ankle and haven't been home since. So that little mouse had his food supply just disappear on him.

I had planned on weaning him off anyway this month, but not quite like this, so I feel like I abandoned him.

If there are gods, they're not perfect and sometimes they stumble. Maybe what happens to us is the result of that.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:16 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
a belief is different from knowing. One can believe anything they want, it's just that easy. Knowing is only accomplished through an actual experience, so when I hear how much people believe in something I really take it with a grain of salt because I know that it takes nothing to believe in something.

For instance, this topic is about reincarnation. I did read the book Many Lives, Many Masters which is an interesting book about reincarnation, so I can then say that I either believe or don't believe in reincarnation.

For me, I went to the office of the author of that book, Dr. Brian Weiss, and was past life regressed where I did experience various past lives. It was as real as anything one can perceive as real, so now I KNOW there are past lives. I don't care what anyone believes about this subject, because I KNOW what I am talking about.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:03 PM

I've often thought of the "Lord of the Flies" analogy, like when we do things that are actually for our pets' own good, but they don't realize it and we can't make them understand.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've often thought of the "Lord of the Flies" analogy, like when we do things that are actually for our pets' own good, but they don't realize it and we can't make them understand.
Wasn't Lord of the Flies about a bunch of boarding school boys that got stranded on an island and hunted each other?

Old 04-26-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Wasn't Lord of the Flies about a bunch of boarding school boys that got stranded on an island and hunted each other?
Yes, but the quote from which the book/movie title is derived - "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport." from Shakespeare - is the relevant part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy