Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 11:16 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times

Advertisements

What was once supposed to be a middle finger to the pressures that be to define ourselves by material goods turned into a boxing match of who has "less"?

Of course, once something becomes mainstream or starts to get discussed within mainstream culture, should we really be surprised at all?

Plus minimalism is not for everyone

Do you not need a car for your groceries? Are we going to ignore the people living in rural areas?

Do you not need clothes? Do you not need furniture for storage and stationing purposes? Do you not need at least a phone to get by everyday?

Now things I do highly agree with minimalists 100%

-We should try to be more mindful of what we use, consume and buy

-Planned obsolescence should be combatted at all costs

-We should try to make things a bit more user-friendly

-We should definitely try to not just buy things to fill in the void, otherwise it can create co-dependency with consumerism

But other than that I think minimalists have gone towards the extreme side of things thanks to the ongoing "commercialization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 03:16 PM

8,662 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Has "minimalism'' lost its meaning?
Quote:
What was once supposed to be a middle finger to the pressures that be to define ourselves by material goods turned into a boxing match of who has "less"?
Was it ever meant to be a ‘middle finger’ (lol) or is it simply a way to find/appreciate consciousness/our place in the world (which can just as easily be found with money as without, perhaps even easier). In other words, anger is not meant to be a part of it nor does one need to be a minimalist to do so.

I find those who endorse/promote a minimalist lifestyle in and of itself to be somewhat arrogant, as who decides what (should) bring one pleasure, other than the self; and consciousness relative to such can only come from within. Obviously, there’s a huge difference between seeking happiness in material possessions vs. enjoyment, particularly when ‘well-earned’/shared with others.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:39 PM

1,579 posts, read 949,094 times
I consider myself a minimalist. I didn’t know there was some plan or rules I should be following though (let alone rules that are now corrupted). I never know I wasn’t supposed to have a car or phone or clothes. I just don’t buy stuff I don’t need like 50 pairs of shoes or useless Knick knacks. When I do buy something it’s needed and quality to last or something very interesting to me that I may buy after really thinking about it. I value experience over material things.

I never did it to be a middle finger to anything. I did it because I like a simple life and things are much simpler when you don’t have a bunch of stuff. I also like a very neat, organized, and clean environment and things are easier to keep neat, organized, and clean when you don’t have oodles of crap in closets and drawers.

I’m moving into a much smaller place soon and spent a few months ultra-minimalizing. That was interesting because I guess I became an even more extreme minimalist.

All that said I also didn’t realize I should be prostaltizing. I don’t care if other people are minimalists or not. I just do what makes me happy.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I consider myself a minimalist.
Quote:
I did it because I like a simple life and things are much simpler when you don’t have a bunch of stuff. I also like a very neat, organized, and clean environment and things are easier to keep neat, organized, and clean when you don’t have oodles of crap in closets and drawers.
I absolutely agree re: organized and clean sans crap; that said, why does one need to be called a minimalist? From my perspective, a minimalist lifestyle is what is unnecessary - as if it’s wrong or ‘immoral’ to enjoy ‘toys’ i.e. sailboats, cars or whatever.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:06 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I absolutely agree re: organized and clean sans crap; that said, why does one need to be called a minimalist? From my perspective, a minimalist lifestyle is what is unnecessary - as if it’s wrong or ‘immoral’ to enjoy ‘toys’ i.e. sailboats, cars or whatever.
Well there's the carbot footprints to consider from ultra-consumerism

By 2030 the consumption rate is expected to reach like 85% unless we can manage to do something about all our finite resources

Old 05-12-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Well there's the carbot footprints to consider from ultra-consumerism
Exactly what I meant by a sense of arrogance/assumption (relative to others). In other words, there are those who are conscious of (reducing/limiting) such, and those who are not, whether they consider themselves a ‘minimalist’ or not - particularly relative to a Philosophy Forum/label.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:47 PM

1,579 posts, read 949,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

I don't find anything wrong with other people enjoying those things. I just don't for some reason. I am not wired that way. I get a lot of joy out of doing things. For example, when I go to the beach this summer, I will stay at a hotel right on the shore, I will eat at the best places, I will rent a nice umbrella and chair and get the best spot on the beach at 7am and chill out with a gourmet coffee, I will take long walks and hunt for shells (that I will give away to the first kid I see collecting shells since I enjoy finding, not keeping them). I will really enjoy myself and savor the experience. I rather do that than have a closet full of shoes like a lot of women. I have four pairs: sneakers, sandals, heels (neutral color so they go with anything), and winter snow boots. I wear each pair until they wear out and only replace them at that point. I am kind of that way with most things. And the money I save not buying a bunch of stuff goes into experiences like my beach trip.

Maybe I am not really a minimalist, I don't know. But people tell me I am so I figured I was.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I don't find anything wrong with other people enjoying those things. I just don't for some reason. I am not wired that way. I get a lot of joy out of doing things. For example, when I go to the beach this summer, I will stay at a hotel right on the shore, I will eat at the best places, I will rent a nice umbrella and chair and get the best spot on the beach at 7am and chill out with a gourmet coffee, I will take long walks and hunt for shells (that I will give away to the first kid I see collecting shells since I enjoy finding, not keeping them). I will really enjoy myself and savor the experience. I rather do that than have a closet full of shoes like a lot of women. I have four pairs: sneakers, sandals, heels (neutral color so they go with anything), and winter snow boots. I wear each pair until they wear out and only replace them at that point. I am kind of that way with most things. And the money I save not buying a bunch of stuff goes into experiences like my beach trip.

Maybe I am not really a minimalist, I don't know. But people tell me I am so I figured I was.
I don’t think enjoying certain hobbies i.e. sailing (or whatever) negates the opportunity to enjoy those things, particularly relative to the beach. In other words, a minimalist lifestyle (or at least the label) seems rather useless/meaningless - as it’s all about consciousnesses. After all, it’s a Philosophy Forum. :-)

To your credit, however, you don’t refer to yourself as such.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:39 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, what are some of the "extremist" aspects of people practicing minimalism, in your view?

I've noticed, that minimalism is a practical response to younger generations coming of age, trying to find jobs and get by on whatever income they make have, in an economy that keeps moving the goal posts farther and farther away from them. We all need new clothes once in a while, but we don't need several closets-full, as some people have. (Talk about extreme!) We don't need a car, much less just to carry groceries, if we live in a city with good transit, or in a walkable neighborhood. To the contrary, walking and carrying our own groceries is good exercise and gets us out in the fresh air. It also spares us the expense of car insurance, gas, and car maintenance.

Where did you get the idea, that minimalism means no phone, and no furniture? I'm not understanding parts of your post. It would be great if you could clarify what your observation of minimalism is. It seems different from mine.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:58 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, what are some of the "extremist" aspects of people practicing minimalism, in your view?

I've noticed, that minimalism is a practical response to younger generations coming of age, trying to find jobs and get by on whatever income they make have, in an economy that keeps moving the goal posts farther and farther away from them. We all need new clothes once in a while, but we don't need several closets-full, as some people have. (Talk about extreme!) We don't need a car, much less just to carry groceries, if we live in a city with good transit, or in a walkable neighborhood. To the contrary, walking and carrying our own groceries is good exercise and gets us out in the fresh air. It also spares us the expense of car insurance, gas, and car maintenance.

Where did you get the idea, that minimalism means no phone, and no furniture? I'm not understanding parts of your post. It would be great if you could clarify what your observation of minimalism is. It seems different from mine.

I call it downsizing. As you get older you just dont need they things you use to need. I dont need the 2 or 3 vehicles and 2 motorcycles anymore. Also been through the boat stage, thats a hole in the water to throw money in anyway. You also dont need closets FULL of crap you dont wear anymore, ditch it all. Its probably out of style anyway. So much less crap and more room now and less to worry about. You'd be surprised what you can live without, once you've had it. Live smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy