Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 01:53 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

Do you believe everything that happens and exists in this universe/world/society does so for a valid, coherent, logical reason?

Does everything have a cause behind existing/happening? Or are some things legit so pointless and intrinsically meaningless that they're just there to fill in the void?

Being the logician, but outside-the-box thinker that I am, I always tried to toy around unconventional ways of looking at things that already exist and happen in this universe and find a reason for why they just happen to be, if that makes any sense

For example, a deep thought experiment that definitely hit big time in my head awhile back, is why did God/evolution make us hungry and need to eat things, years ago I was like it is just a mechanism that exists within, it just is what it is.

Then this outta nowehere answer to this mystery popped up, what if eating from a historical perspective made sense as a population control mechanism? If there was no built-in necessity to eat, the world's overall(not strictly speaking human) population would be probably more unsustainable. Eating is like a population checker, it helps keep population levels in check

I can explain more thought experiments that helped me rationalize other unquestionable things, but I rather keep it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
The older I get I’m convincing myself of “ the secret” concept
Of life is a mirror …
However I also have to comprehend a bias too,
If I have a gray Corolla … all the sudden they are everywhere!

Part of my personal growth … is striving to be more humble and curious
Not arrogant and dismissive.. to be more aware .. more appreciative more patience

For life to be more organized… and not 1000’s of random sparks and stop signs … I do
Believe we influence our fate by behavior

Old 05-21-2022, 04:38 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
No. I feel it’s all very random.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Nothing has a reason for being or happening, except the ones us humans make up. Even things like procreation and survival instincts happen because of evolution.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:12 AM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
I think your topics are pretty philosophical. When you're philosophising there's a need to argue semantics.

For example you are asking if there is a logical reason.
Would any reason suffice? There are innumerable causes for a single thing in this world and it is kind of pointless to seek out all of them. If you are asking why we are hungry you might as well ask why we are even alive.

Needing energy to go on living is pretty logical in that we also use energy as we exist, so we have to replenish it to keep going.
The question then becomes why do we lose energy at all when we exist.

Maybe it has to do with the entropy? At any rate the questions will always follow one after the other. I guess that kind of also implies that one thing causes the other - I just don't think there's ever an end or even a beginning for that matter :P

Old 05-24-2022, 11:31 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Do you strongly believe in the principle of causation?
Only relative to events i.e. criminal law/torts by way of (proven) factual and proximate causation - in the case of defamation, for example.:-)

Quote:
Do you believe everything that happens and exists in this universe/world/society does so for a valid, coherent, logical reason?
Relative to human consciousness, there is a logical explanation to one’s behavior/thoughts. We can apply logic to anything i.e. it’s simply (often deductive but sometimes inductive) reasoning in making a sound argument or drawing a conclusion - as opposed to ‘belief’.

Quote:
For example, a deep thought experiment that definitely hit big time in my head awhile back, is why did God/evolution make us hungry and need to eat things, years ago I was like it is just a mechanism that exists within, it just is what it is.
Quote:
Being the logician, but outside-the-box thinker that I am, I always tried to toy around unconventional ways of looking at things that already exist and happen in this universe and find a reason for why they just happen to be, if that makes any sense
Actually, ‘unconventional’ (or a god, for that matter) does not make any sense relative to logic i.e. it is simply your personal belief.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:13 PM

884 posts, read 357,119 times
I think there are two different things here:

- Causation: Relation that holds between two temporally simultaneous or successive events when the first event (the cause) brings about the other (the effect).

- What is considered (or what you consider) a valid, coherent, logical reason or cause.

The first one I'm pretty sure exists. If I let go the mug I hold, it will fall, due to the forces acting on it. Cause and effect are very much real in my view, though there are some clever philosophers who may question that.

The second is more subjective. If someone punched you randomly and for no good reason, causing a bruise, there is cause and effect very much in action. You may consider the cause not valid (as in he should not have punched you), but it was the cause of the bruise nevertheless.

Last edited by Peter600; 05-24-2022 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-02-2022, 06:01 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzona View Post
I was in a meeting in Philly last night and met a guy named John Gibbons.
Then flew back home 2000 miles away and a customer came in this afternoon to ask me about some product. His name was John Gibbons too. There are no coincidences!
How far is Philadelphia from the Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area?

Last edited by SanyBelle; 07-02-2022 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 11:28 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzona View Post
I was in a meeting in Philly last night and met a guy named John Gibbons.
Then flew back home 2000 miles away and a customer came in this afternoon to ask me about some product. His name was John Gibbons too. There are no coincidences!
The one that always startles me is when I've learned a new word - a word I've never heard spoken before. And then within a day or so I hear that word on media or someone I know says it.

We're The Borg.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:53 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
If someone punched you randomly and for no good reason, causing a bruise, there is cause and effect very much in action. You may consider the cause not valid (as in he should not have punched you), but it was the cause of the bruise nevertheless.
(Philosophically), causation is the ability (and determination) of one variable to influence another; obviously, the formation of a bruise as the result of a punch is simple science/known.

That said, there is causation (in law) relative to (potential) liability i.e. proximate or cause-in-fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy