Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 03:39 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,640,988 times

Advertisements

An associate received three invitations since early April 2021. In each case they then invited me. I feel this is a violation of some social etiquette because it fails to take into account the feelings and the desires of the people who invited them. I saw no other forum where this question might belong. What's the rule being broken? All we can do is contact the person who invited the associate and explain why we did not accept the invitation by the associate. Knowing this associate though they will likely say that they were given permission to invite me.

One of the invites was to a birthday party. If John Doe is invited to Jane Wilson's party, is it proper for John to invite his friends to the party when they are strangers to Jane Wilson? We say they are out of bounds by inviting others. I can see it now, here comes some stranger walking down the driveway and the host wonders and ask others "who is that do you know them?" And up pops the associate to say "oh I invited them." Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 03:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,559,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
An associate received three invitations since early April 2021. In each case they then invited me. I feel this is a violation of some social etiquette because it fails to take into account the feelings and the desires of the people who invited them. I saw no other forum where this question might belong. What's the rule being broken? All we can do is contact the person who invited the associate and explain why we did not accept the invitation by the associate. Knowing this associate though they will likely say that they were given permission to invite me.

One of the invites was to a birthday party. If John Doe is invited to Jane Wilson's party, is it proper for John to invite his friends to the party when they are strangers to Jane Wilson? We say they are out of bounds by inviting others. I can see it now, here comes some stranger walking down the driveway and the host wonders and ask others "who is that do you know them?" And up pops the associate to say "oh I invited them." Thanks.
This is one of those "it depends" kind of things.

Sometimes, people are okay with an invited guest bringing a "plus one" (even if it's a platonic friend) to a party--especially if the invitee knows only the person who's throwing the party. This used to happen a lot when I was younger; it was always good to bring some new blood into a group at a casual party. Sometimes, this sort of thing leads to the natural expansion of a given social circle. Heck, a lot of the friends, acquaintances, and couples I know met in this manner.

If you don't want to or aren't comfortable going to a party where you don't know the host or guest of honor, it's okay to pass on the invite.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:55 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
This is one of those "it depends" kind of things.

Sometimes, people are okay with an invited guest bringing a "plus one" (even if it's a platonic friend) to a party--especially if the invitee knows only the person who's throwing the party. This used to happen a lot when I was younger; it was always good to bring some new blood into a group at a casual party. Sometimes, this sort of thing leads to the natural expansion of a given social circle. Heck, a lot of the friends, acquaintances, and couples I know met in this manner.

If you don't want to or aren't comfortable going to a party where you don't know the host or guest of honor, it's okay to pass on the invite.
I wouldn't show up with a plus one or ask if I could bring one. Maybe when you're young but throughout the next 50+ years of your life I think it is rude and inconsiderate.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,559,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I wouldn't show up with a plus one or ask if I could bring one. Maybe when you're young but throughout the next 50+ years of your life I think it is rude and inconsiderate.
Oh, I would never ask to bring someone along if I were the invited guest (either when I was younger or at present), although I have had it happen when I've had to decline an invite due a close friend or relative being in town and the host has said to bring them along to the event. It's rare that I've actually taken them up on the offer. Mind you that these have been events at a person's home or a bar rather than out at a restaurant where reservations were made in advance for a large party.

As a host, I've never minded when this has happened when I'm having a gathering at the house.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:31 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
How do you all enjoy life with so many rules to remember? Seems exhausting.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:09 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
An associate received three invitations since early April 2021. In each case they then invited me.
What type of event(s)?

Quote:
I feel this is a violation of some social etiquette because it fails to take into account the feelings and the desires of the people who invited them. I saw no other forum where this question might belong. What's the rule being broken? All we can do is contact the person who invited the associate and explain why we did not accept the invitation by the associate. Knowing this associate though they will likely say that they were given permission to invite me.
Why would you contact the person who invited the associate to explain why you won’t accept the (what you perceive to be an illegitimate) invitation? If said person/the host didn’t invite you, you won’t be missed; no call necessary.

Quote:
I saw no other forum where this question might belong.
What about Non-Romantic Relationships, Work and Employment (depending upon what type of events you’re speaking to) or even mental health (based in re: how you’re feeling). It certainly doesn’t belong in a Philosophy Forum.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:36 AM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Other than business events, if I am not invited by the host of the event, I don't go. For business, invitations pass through the hierarchy until someone accepts. Could be tickets to the opera or a charity affair for which the inviter has "bought" a table. Since these are not personal invitations, but rather business connections, I accept these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy