U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:17 PM

25,387 posts, read 31,329,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

If a child is 'more average' than the parents, how much 'more average' can the child be after 3 or 4 generations? All parents would have to start out so far from average than it would be unthinkable.

After a couple generations, everybody would be all the same in intelligence, height and looks. All average.
Actually, it makes sense. Genes tend to mix. What is a mix but an average? Each generation should be a mix of the previous generation. My daughter has her grandmother's mouth and chin, my hair, her aunts eyes and my brothers nose. She's a mixture.

And no, everyone won't be the same because some people get mixtures of genes that result in them being unusual. It's just more likely you'll be more average than your parents. It's not for certain you will be. I have one sibling who is very short and one that is very tall. The rest of us are smack in between mom and dad. Averaged.

Statistically speaking, my husband and I had a 50/50 chance of producing a child wiht an IQ between ours, a 25% chance of producing one with a lower IQ than either of us and a 25% chance of producing a child with a higher IQ than each of us. We have one on each end and none in the middle, however, the avereage is closer to average.

Keep in mind that Einstein didn't have gifted children. If your theory were true, he should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM

122 posts, read 295,321 times
a mix is not an average. genes dont work that way. didnt you take biology? crossover of genes = not an average.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM

122 posts, read 295,321 times
here is a diagram of how meiosis works: http://obromley.deoss.net/web/geneti...es/meiosis.gif

Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,119,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, it makes sense. Genes tend to mix. What is a mix but an average? Each generation should be a mix of the previous generation. My daughter has her grandmother's mouth and chin, my hair, her aunts eyes and my brothers nose. She's a mixture.

And no, everyone won't be the same because some people get mixtures of genes that result in them being unusual. It's just more likely you'll be more average than your parents. It's not for certain you will be. I have one sibling who is very short and one that is very tall. The rest of us are smack in between mom and dad. Averaged.

Statistically speaking, my husband and I had a 50/50 chance of producing a child wiht an IQ between ours, a 25% chance of producing one with a lower IQ than either of us and a 25% chance of producing a child with a higher IQ than each of us. We have one on each end and none in the middle, however, the avereage is closer to average.

Keep in mind that Einstein didn't have gifted children. If your theory were true, he should have.
There is no sense to that. For one thing, it isn't my theory, it's yours.

They way you stated it, above average people would have closer to average children. Below average people would have closer to average children. Second generation would have children even closer to average, so the first generation would have had to start out FAR above and FAR below average and each generation get closer to the middle. Ultimately, everybody would end up with the same amount of intelligence, looks and height, etc..

It's obvious that isn't happening. The bolded above shoots your original statement right out of the water.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,119,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem with this thinking is that genes don't "MIX". They don't blend with each other. They come together, but two don't become one, they stay seperate. A child gets genes from the mother, and it gets genes from the father.

If it was your version of average, you would not be able to distinguish whose nose, eyes, chin, mouth, hair, etc. that your daughter has. All traits would be a blend of both parents.

In some families all of the children look identical to one parent. In some families, some of the children look just like one parent and some look just like the other parent. Some have kids who, like yours, have traits from both sides. There is no blending. I know a family that has 5 children. One has red hair, one blond, one very dark brown, one strawberry blond, and one golden brown. The parents have dark brown and blondish hair.

I'm one of five. Our parents have blue eyes and hazel eyes. One of us has blue eyes, one green, one brown, one hazel, and one light brown. None with bluish hazel. Two look like my mother, and three look like my father. No blending, or we would all look alike.

Last edited by NoExcuses; 04-05-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM

43,012 posts, read 94,238,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Isnt it funny or ironic, that really good looking people sometimes hve lil "ugly ducklings" and butt ugly people have beautiful pageant winning kids. Check the PARENTS of the lil girl pageant winners, aot of them are bucktooth, with big ole noses, and a lil chunky, not trying to be mean, just ststing the facts!
It's not uncommon for children to look like their parents did when they were children.

Many ugly parents were attractive as children. Many ugly children end up being attractive adults.

Age has a way of making people look better or worse. A good looking child can end up being a super overweight adult and vice versa.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

830 posts, read 2,411,213 times
I do remember what Ivorytickler is saying about averages from my biology classes and texts, at least as regards height. I would imagine it holds true for other traits too.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,529,484 times
In my family, we have instances where kids look like grandparents a LOT rather than parents. My daughter looks ALOT like my Mother as a child. That whole "red haired" thing pops up from time to time as well.... as well as the colorblind thing.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 PM

59,686 posts, read 57,186,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
what about families that have, like, 2 really cute kids and one that's not very cute? I always feel sorry for that kid. Just bad luck, I guess.
Oh yeah. I know this family--the kids are all adults now, but the son was handsome, with wavy dark hair and a nice face, and the one sister had a cute face, blond curly hair, pretty eyes. They both looked like the mother. But the father had this big square head, a bulldog face and these jowls, and the oldest sister looked just like him except with straggly brown hair decorating the big head. There wasn't much she could even have done to make herself look better--that face was always going to be obvious.

She was a nice person, though. I guess she had to be.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 PM

59,686 posts, read 57,186,200 times
I am six feet tall. My ex husband is six feet four. Our daughter is five six.

She has my eyes, his hair, but her features are not like either one of us. She looks like my ex's sister more than anyone else. My ex is decent-looking, but not drop-dead gorgeous, and with strategically-applied makeup, I can boost myself up to average. Our daughter, however, is above-average looking. People look at her on the street and I've been hearing how pretty she is since she was a baby. Acquaintances of mine who meet her usually sort of give a little gasp and say, "That's YOUR daughter?" LOL, I am not making this up.

It's the luck of which sperm met which ovum, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or