U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM

22,209 posts, read 23,800,077 times

Advertisements

Luck of the draw....certain physical characteristics might look fabulous in one combination but not so much in another. Aunt Sadie's eyes might be wonderful but in combination with Uncle Henry's cheekbones....they don't look nearly as spectacular....even awkward. And a couple who each may not be fortunate in outward appearance, might produce a combination that really works well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,919,896 times
I've noticed that my children have favored either me or their father at different points in their life. As a young baby, my daughter was the spitting image of me, then grew into a stage when she looked like her dad, and she is now a blend of both of us. My son started out looking like me, but now that he's growing up, he's looking more and more like his father. I resemble my mother's side of the family and always have, while my brother strongly resembles our father's side. My husband favors neither of his parents, but is an almost perfect blend of both. Genes are funny things.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,904,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I read somewhere that our children tend to be more average than we are in looks, height and intelligence. Perhaps someone with a genetics background can explain why this is true if it is true.
Regression toward the mean???

Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM

8,669 posts, read 20,581,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Luck of the draw....certain physical characteristics might look fabulous in one combination but not so much in another. Aunt Sadie's eyes might be wonderful but in combination with Uncle Henry's cheekbones....they don't look nearly as spectacular....even awkward. And a couple who each may not be fortunate in outward appearance, might produce a combination that really works well....
Yes, and besides genetics tending to be a dice throw, perhaps the"less attractive" parents might actually be attractive but maybe they've gotten a bit overweight, for example which tends to lessen natural attractiveness (not being mean here~I'm overweight myself!) In general, they may not be investing much effort in their own appearance and it shows. Sometimes also small children are cute when they are little, but they get less so as they get older too. Just a thought....

Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM

400 posts, read 743,106 times
I remember all the prettiest girls in my class in elementary school were pretty bland or even kind of ugly by the time I graduated high school with them. Meanwhile, many of the girls that were fat or awkward when they were little turned into knockouts.

Seems like some people tragically peak early!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM

2,936 posts, read 3,312,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I do remember what Ivorytickler is saying about averages from my biology classes and texts, at least as regards height. I would imagine it holds true for other traits too.
Height is usually averaged out if I'm remembering correctly. However I don't believe a word of what Ivory is saying about everything else. I have grayish eyes (and my parents had grayish eyes and hazel eyes), my husband was half Mexican so he has brown eyes. If your theory were to be true, my kids would probably have very bland eyes, maybe hazelish gray. They have magnificent sky blue eyes.

Oh and I'm also a Toddlers and Tiaras addict and I can't understand why some parents make their kids look like a million dollars, yet they don't have a penny to THEIR name! Makes me so mad! LOL.

Last edited by strawflower; 04-06-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM

43,012 posts, read 94,463,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Height is usually averaged out if I'm remembering correctly. However I don't believe a word of what Ivory is saying about everything else.
It would appear it averages out if you look at the one generation of my family and the bio dad's family.

However, when you look at subsequent generations, the theory is completely destroyed.

My father was 5'8" and my mother was 5'11" and I'm 5'7" (Both of my mother's parents were over 6' tall.)

My children's father's father is 5'9" and his mother is 5'2" and he is 5'7" (Both of his mother's parents are under 5' tall!)

My son is 6'3" and my daughter is 6'.

The father and I are the exact same height. We both came from families with tall parent and a short parent. It seems we averaged out.

Yet our children are SUPER tall.

That tells me that height is very complex genetics.

I did a google search and found the theory that height generally is the average of the parents' heights.

However, it also states that many other factors influence height.

In some regions of the world, like Northern Europe, children get taller than their parents generation after generation.

I also think Ivory is way off base on most of this. The average theory does exist for height, but it can't be relied upon as a rule of thumb.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,387,466 times
I think it's really interesting when a certain birthmark shows up repeatedly in a family. There is a pink thumbprint-like birthmark that shows up about every other generation in the men in our family, and almost always at the back of the neck or on the upper back. So odd!

I read recently that Redheads are endangered. This made me cry!! I love redheads. I think redheaded people should start breeding like rabbits to save their beautiful selves!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I read recently that Redheads are endangered. This made me cry!! I love redheads. I think redheaded people should start breeding like rabbits to save their beautiful selves!
Some geneticists remain unconvinced that redheads are going anywhere, so hold your tears. I'm a vivid redhead married to a brunette. Our children are both redheads, one strawberry-blond and the other copper just like me.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,581,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Some geneticists remain unconvinced that redheads are going anywhere, so hold your tears. I'm a vivid redhead married to a brunette. Our children are both redheads, one strawberry-blond and the other copper just like me.
Our best friends' daughter has three boys. Two are vivid red-heads and neither the mom and dad are red-headed. So maybe the red-heads will survive! (I have read that too about red hair dying out.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or