U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,357,053 times

Advertisements

Oh!! This is good news! Long live the redheads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,808,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Some geneticists remain unconvinced that redheads are going anywhere, so hold your tears. I'm a vivid redhead married to a brunette. Our children are both redheads, one strawberry-blond and the other copper just like me.
I know a couple of red head kids who have 2 brunette parents

Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,902,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I know a couple of red head kids who have 2 brunette parents
Me, too. My red-haired brother and I have brunette parents.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,850,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think it's really interesting when a certain birthmark shows up repeatedly in a family. There is a pink thumbprint-like birthmark that shows up about every other generation in the men in our family, and almost always at the back of the neck or on the upper back. So odd!

I read recently that Redheads are endangered. This made me cry!! I love redheads. I think redheaded people should start breeding like rabbits to save their beautiful selves!
I am a redhead and NONE of my three kids have red hair.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,979,548 times
There were red heads involved in the making of our children... but both my husband and I each have our own "clones" except that these two offspring are smarter, faster and better looking....we like to think of them as version 2.0.
Way better looking versions of us by far!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 AM

Our kids are way better looking than us, too. They got the best from both of us we think. They are super tall, too, even though my husband and I are both average height. At 14 our oldest is already taller than most adults we know - and we don't even drink the milk with the growth hormones even!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Maybe it'll pass to your grandkids! There's always hope...

I actually had red hair when I was young, but as I grew older it got darker and darker. Now it's kind of a cinnamon-brown color... our kids had blonde hair when they were very young, and their hair has become darker and darker as they've grown as well.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM

43,012 posts, read 94,214,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Maybe it'll pass to your grandkids! There's always hope...
That depends on who they marry. Red hair is a recessive gene that has been mutated. As a result, both parents need to have the mutated gene for a child to have red hair.

That's why people without red hair can have children with red hair. Both parents didn't have two mutated genes to make red hair for themselves, but each parent passed one mutated gene onto their children so their children had both genes. That's how children get red hair when parents don't have red hair.

Alternately, parents with red hair won't have children with red hair unless they marry partners who are carriers of the red hair mutated gene, regardless of if the partner has red hair.

Red hair can skip multiple generations and resurface when someone marries a partner with the same mutated gene.

Am I a know-it-all? No. I simply googled red hair genetics.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM

That is interesting, Hopes! You know-it-all! (Just kidding! )

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 AM

25,387 posts, read 31,323,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

If a child is 'more average' than the parents, how much 'more average' can the child be after 3 or 4 generations? All parents would have to start out so far from average than it would be unthinkable.

After a couple generations, everybody would be all the same in intelligence, height and looks. All average.
Not true because we are talking about averages and there are always outliers. Averages do not apply to individuals. They apply to groups. Our children are, on average, closer to average than their parents but that doesn't mean that some aren't as high or higher than the parents in intelligence.

I'm one of six kids. Both of our parents had genius IQ's. Of the 6 of us, two have genius IQ's, two are well above average but below our parents and 2 are much closer to average than either of our parents. While two are as intelligent or perhaps more intelligent than our parents, 4 are not so the average is closer to average even though 1/3 of their kids are in the genius range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or