U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 AM

16,833 posts, read 14,558,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, it makes sense. Genes tend to mix. What is a mix but an average? Each generation should be a mix of the previous generation. My daughter has her grandmother's mouth and chin, my hair, her aunts eyes and my brothers nose. She's a mixture.

And no, everyone won't be the same because some people get mixtures of genes that result in them being unusual. It's just more likely you'll be more average than your parents. It's not for certain you will be. I have one sibling who is very short and one that is very tall. The rest of us are smack in between mom and dad. Averaged.

Statistically speaking, my husband and I had a 50/50 chance of producing a child wiht an IQ between ours, a 25% chance of producing one with a lower IQ than either of us and a 25% chance of producing a child with a higher IQ than each of us. We have one on each end and none in the middle, however, the avereage is closer to average.

Keep in mind that Einstein didn't have gifted children. If your theory were true, he should have.
Genes do not mix the way you are portraying it. If you have a gene for trait A and you husbands is little a. Your kids will express one or the other not some halfway point.

Additionally, every trait you are talking about is multigenetic. There is again no midpoint because no new genes are created, they are just rearranged. Ant rearrangement does not favor averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 AM

16,833 posts, read 14,558,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not true because we are talking about averages and there are always outliers. Averages do not apply to individuals. They apply to groups. Our children are, on average, closer to average than their parents but that doesn't mean that some aren't as high or higher than the parents in intelligence.

I'm one of six kids. Both of our parents had genius IQ's. Of the 6 of us, two have genius IQ's, two are well above average but below our parents and 2 are much closer to average than either of our parents. While two are as intelligent or perhaps more intelligent than our parents, 4 are not so the average is closer to average even though 1/3 of their kids are in the genius range.
Iq is not a purely inherited trait. Studies measuring effect of none heritable factors place it between 10-40%.

Please stop mangling genetics.

And as you said, averages apply to groups and then you try to present your family as representative. It is not.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 AM

7,493 posts, read 10,032,915 times
Maybe some recessive genes in there?

Old 12-02-2013, 12:23 PM

321 posts, read 469,019 times
How on Earth is this a philosophical discussion?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 AM

594 posts, read 1,266,598 times
So, If genes don't "mix" at some "half-way point" than how do you explain bi-racial people who are clearly lighter skinned than one parent and darker than the other? That would obviously be the genes of the whiter parent muting the effects of the genes of the darker parent?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 PM

774 posts, read 757,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
The problem with this thinking is that genes don't "MIX". They don't blend with each other. They come together, but two don't become one, they stay seperate. A child gets genes from the mother, and it gets genes from the father.

If it was your version of average, you would not be able to distinguish whose nose, eyes, chin, mouth, hair, etc. that your daughter has. All traits would be a blend of both parents.

In some families all of the children look identical to one parent. In some families, some of the children look just like one parent and some look just like the other parent. Some have kids who, like yours, have traits from both sides. There is no blending. I know a family that has 5 children. One has red hair, one blond, one very dark brown, one strawberry blond, and one golden brown. The parents have dark brown and blondish hair.

I'm one of five. Our parents have blue eyes and hazel eyes. One of us has blue eyes, one green, one brown, one hazel, and one light brown. None with bluish hazel. Two look like my mother, and three look like my father. No blending, or we would all look alike.
Genes don't blend??????????????????????????????????????

How can my father's genes stay separate in me from my mother's genes?

I never heard that before.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM

164 posts, read 162,780 times
Ugly ducklings effects. Puberty expose the kids to hormones will change facial structures. Generally, the higher level of estrogen will give females wider eyes, smaller chins and bigger lips (and before you inject your daughter with estrogen during puberty to help her with her modeling career; please note that it will stunt her height as well). Whatever your family traits you have are still there. But hormones mess with them a bit. Also, when they learned to take care of themselves, either healthwise (which improves your survival rate and makes you a good candidate for passing on your genes) or grooming/primping wise (not looking like a crazy/mimicking facial features of highly fertile female with makeup), you're making yourself more attractive.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM

774 posts, read 757,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
How on Earth is this a philosophical discussion?
Any discussion of different beliefs or opinions is a philosophical discussion, philosophically that is.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,912,218 times
This is so stupid.

Most of your Top Models were incredibly plain children.

Having freakishly pronounced cheekbones and wide eyes can do that to a kid's face.

Myself - born to two good looking people, ugly as a hatful of spiders for the first 12 years of my life.

After that - well, I'm getting better as I age.

Having a baby face is awful when you're young, a blessing when you're past 30.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,243,543 times
I'm not about to read five pages of posts, so chances are I'm about to repeat someone else's comments.

A lot of goodlooking people were NOT goodlooking children. Also, I have known a LOT of pretty children who grew up unremarkable-looking while plain to ugly ones became very attractive when they grew up.

And sometimes inheriting a mixture of the handsome parent's features don't seem to work together. The daughters of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore are good examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or