U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 AM

164 posts, read 744,966 times

Advertisements

What are the options for adding a pool fence to an existing pool? Costs? Any recommendations for reasonable companies? Want something permanent and nice, but basic -- nothing extravagant. Just a straight line basic pool fence.

Apparently can't legally even move into a house before installing a pool fence (small kids and existing pool).

We're DIY capable (DH used to be an aircraft machinist) -- is there somewhere we could get fencing (preferably aluminum) locally at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Also, any suggestions on design considerations? Enclose just a little patio or a larger area on one side?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM

406 posts, read 473,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
What are the options for adding a pool fence to an existing pool? Costs? Any recommendations for reasonable companies? Want something permanent and nice, but basic -- nothing extravagant. Just a straight line basic pool fence.

Apparently can't legally even move into a house before installing a pool fence (small kids and existing pool).

We're DIY capable (DH used to be an aircraft machinist) -- is there somewhere we could get fencing (preferably aluminum) locally at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!
Home depot has pool fence parts, its not too hard to put them in. If you shop around it should be $500 to $800 more to have a pro do it. Home Depot will be in the $700 range. I had mine done from a guy on craigslist, he did good work for $1100. Shop around and you will find a decent deal. -powder coated is always better than painted-

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,956 times
OP - Would you please elaborate on why you cannot legally move into a home with an existing pool if you have young children. I have toddlers and am looking for a home. Is there an AZ law addressing this? Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM

12,187 posts, read 19,943,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules35 View Post
OP - Would you please elaborate on why you cannot legally move into a home with an existing pool if you have young children. I have toddlers and am looking for a home. Is there an AZ law addressing this? Thanks!
Bear in mind the OP said "without a pool fence". I'm not sure what rule she is referring to, but AZ does require a pool fence and other safety devices before the pool is signed off by city inspectors. I would imagine that when selling a home with a pool, you'd have to bring the pool up to code and install a fence if it doesn't have one. I'm not sure how the OP got into a home without a pool fence. Whether you have kids or not makes no difference from a inspection standpoint. All pools in AZ must meet the code. From a pragmatic standpoint, you'd definitely want a pool fence if you have small children. Pools are one of the biggest killers of children in AZ.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 AM

Default AZ pool law

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules35 View Post
In AZ the law is that if you have a child under 6yo living in the home you need to have a pool fence between the home and the pool. (Over 6yo you just need a fence between the pool and the neighborhood). You can search "AZ pool fence law" for the details.

When you buy a house, the seller has to provide info on the law and you have to sign agreeing to learn and conform to the law before residing there. In AZ to NOT have a required fence is a petty offence and, if you are cited, they can't fine you if you later fix the issue, though they can require you to take a pool safety course.

The reason for this is simple -- pools are a leading cause of death for those 5 and younger and a ridiculously high %age of drownings of young kids occurs in those within 30 days of moving into a home with a pool. Just like a high %age of car accidents involve people in their first year with a car license.

So, no the police won't come breaking our door down and the closing company won't require proof of a pool fence before closing.

...but if you have young kids and buy a house without a pool fence between the house and the pool you really need to make getting one installed a TOP priority as soon as you move in. Also when you are looking at homes, keep that in mind -- a home WITH a pool fence installed will be worth a few thousand dollars more than one without. You can get cheap removable fences for about $10/ft (perimeter) but will still require drilling into the deck to install posts, or you could spend upwards of $10K on a very fancy elaborate decorative fence.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 PM

51 posts, read 150,740 times
We did a pool net, not a pool fence - the backyard was landscaped in a way that we just didn't like the idea of a pool fence. Aside from that, how many kids drown in a home with a pool fence because they didn't lock it, or because they climbed over the fence? WIth a pool net, there's no way for them to drown if you put it on. We paid about $1200, and once our daughter is old enough that a net is not needed, then we can leave it off all summer and just keep it on during the "off" season time or when we go out of town.

As for the laws for buying a home with a pool, we bought a house last year (foreclosure) in Goodyear and it had a pool, we had a 2 1/2 year old, and there was no mention that it had to have a fence. My MIL in Glendale has an older home with a pool and she took down the fence - my SIL keeps saying when she sells the house she'll have to put in a fence so I think it might be a city requirement?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,275,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyinaz View Post
We did a pool net, not a pool fence - the backyard was landscaped in a way that we just didn't like the idea of a pool fence. Aside from that, how many kids drown in a home with a pool fence because they didn't lock it, or because they climbed over the fence? WIth a pool net, there's no way for them to drown if you put it on. We paid about $1200, and once our daughter is old enough that a net is not needed, then we can leave it off all summer and just keep it on during the "off" season time or when we go out of town.

As for the laws for buying a home with a pool, we bought a house last year (foreclosure) in Goodyear and it had a pool, we had a 2 1/2 year old, and there was no mention that it had to have a fence. My MIL in Glendale has an older home with a pool and she took down the fence - my SIL keeps saying when she sells the house she'll have to put in a fence so I think it might be a city requirement?

A person on entering into an agreement to build a swimming pool or contained body of water or sell, rent or lease a dwelling with a swimming pool or contained body of water shall give the buyer, lessee or renter a notice explaining safety education and responsibilities of pool ownership as approved by the department of health services.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 PM

8,807 posts, read 15,141,475 times
I have a fairly nice one that you can have. You remove it, haul it away, and it's yours. I'll even provide you with ice water! DM me if interested.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 6,764,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
A person on entering into an agreement to build a swimming pool or contained body of water or sell, rent or lease a dwelling with a swimming pool or contained body of water shall give the buyer, lessee or renter a notice explaining safety education and responsibilities of pool ownership as approved by the department of health services.
You're responding to a three year old post by a person who hasn't visited City-Data since 2011. That person is never going to see your unattributed cut and paste that you already posted in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area