Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an old article and discovered that Arizona isn't just high on the chart in terms of things like identify theft and kidnapping, but is the second worst in the entire WORLD.

Doesn't it seem that those issues, which affect a wider range of people and inflict unquestionable damage, are more urgent than whether there are too many illegal immigrants, especially when we already know that illegals contribute more financially to the country than they use in services? Is the pursuit of illegals just because it will have showy results?

Here's a quote that rather shocked me:
In Phoenix, the county recorder's office posts 8,000 to 10,000 documents a day. Most are innocuous, but some, including divorce decrees and tax lien records, have sensitive information.
''I'm not insensitive to people's fear,'' said Helen Purcell, the county recorder. ''I have the same fear. My information is out there, too.'' But it is far too late to start editing Social Security numbers or other data from the county Web site, she said. ''We have 100 million documents out there now.''

Technology and Easy Credit Give Identity Thieves an Edge - New York Times

Is it really harder to employ a big batch of inexpensive computer flunkies than to marshall a police force of dubious legality? For that matter, although it's one thing to allow public access to legal records for people to come in person to examine, which is fine, it seems like another thing entirely to post them on the internet for every low-life to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
I agree with your last sentence, but that's it I'm afraid. I never understood why the county recorder posts deeds and tax info online, but the public record is what it is... hopefully they'll change the type of information they scan and post.

I don't agree at all with your linking that practice to the illegal immigration discussion that pops up in this forum. They're separate issues, and one is far more pressing than the other.

You posit that illegals contribute more financially than they use in services, and then insinuate that a police force would have to be of dubious legality in order to enforce immigration laws that are already on the books? Don't agree on either point.

If you're for the "one world, no borders, no person is illegal" concept - I understand that. People differ - it's natural, but I just don't think public opinion is with you on that one.

I would argue that illegals are both the primary victims and the perpetrators of kidnapping cases here in AZ. I'll point you to last years Phoenix police department kidnapping stats, which show that of the 350+ kidnapping victims last year, all involved illegals or drug activity.

Stolen vehicle crime is down, hit and runs are down, burglaries are down, you name it, it's down. And why? Someone being disingenuous might shrug and say, "it's an anomaly... we don't know -- in a bad economy we expect more crime" but I'd suggest that the percentage of criminals in the phoenix area has dropped. It's well known that a small percentage of criminals account for a large percentage of crime. A drop in that population = a large drop in crime stats.

E verify, ARS 28-3511 (the law that lets police tow and impound a car if a driver has no license), and the upcoming SB1070, coupled with the disappearance of the easy money under-the-table construction jobs has done FAR more good for the people of Arizona than redacting personal information from an online PDF would do.

Why has everyone forgotten? American citizens should come first in this country. We don't need to import criminals, or turn a blind eye to the ones that are already here. Want to come as an immigrant? Fine - come as a legal one, with skills and qualities that would improve the quality of life for everyone.

Sneaking here, then taking advantage of our schools, roads, medical/legal/justice system ... you name it, is an affront to every legal immigrant that entered the RIGHT way.

Our politicians have done a huge disservice to the USA over the past 20 years, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 PM

295 posts, read 552,761 times
The ID theft problem is very troublesome in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. I think it is partly because seasoned ID thefts target people who are new here and who don't really understand the severity of the problem. A person needs to take extra precaution with any personally identifiable information.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM

253 posts, read 463,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
I agree with your last sentence, but that's it I'm afraid. I never understood why the county recorder posts deeds and tax info online, but the public record is what it is... hopefully they'll change the type of information they scan and post.

I don't agree at all with your linking that practice to the illegal immigration discussion that pops up in this forum. They're separate issues, and one is far more pressing than the other.

You posit that illegals contribute more financially than they use in services, and then insinuate that a police force would have to be of dubious legality in order to enforce immigration laws that are already on the books? Don't agree on either point.

If you're for the "one world, no borders, no person is illegal" concept - I understand that. People differ - it's natural, but I just don't think public opinion is with you on that one.

I would argue that illegals are both the primary victims and the perpetrators of kidnapping cases here in AZ. I'll point you to last years Phoenix police department kidnapping stats, which show that of the 350+ kidnapping victims last year, all involved illegals or drug activity.

Stolen vehicle crime is down, hit and runs are down, burglaries are down, you name it, it's down. And why? Someone being disingenuous might shrug and say, "it's an anomaly... we don't know -- in a bad economy we expect more crime" but I'd suggest that the percentage of criminals in the phoenix area has dropped. It's well known that a small percentage of criminals account for a large percentage of crime. A drop in that population = a large drop in crime stats.

E verify, ARS 28-3511 (the law that lets police tow and impound a car if a driver has no license), and the upcoming SB1070, coupled with the disappearance of the easy money under-the-table construction jobs has done FAR more good for the people of Arizona than redacting personal information from an online PDF would do.

Why has everyone forgotten? American citizens should come first in this country. We don't need to import criminals, or turn a blind eye to the ones that are already here. Want to come as an immigrant? Fine - come as a legal one, with skills and qualities that would improve the quality of life for everyone.

Sneaking here, then taking advantage of our schools, roads, medical/legal/justice system ... you name it, is an affront to every legal immigrant that entered the RIGHT way.

Our politicians have done a huge disservice to the USA over the past 20 years, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I applaud all you said, but give a standing ovation (and a rep point) to the last sentence.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Hey, I thought we didn't really have any crime here? You guys lied to me. ha ha

It's a scary thought isn't it?; what a shame.

I don't really know what's true or not anymore when it comes to our crime stats. It's a never ending and changing ball of wax for me. One week I think this is a high crime haven the next I think it's not so bad for the size of it. IDK, coin toss.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
ID Theft is a huge problem in Arizona and I agree with the OP that ID theft should a bigger concern that cartels and drugs but it's rarely mentioned because it's not dramatic enough to capture the attention of the morons in our society.

However, ID theft can be avoided and there are many misconceptions about. A very tiny percentage of ID theft is committed online. The internet is fairly safe although the movies and masses would have you believe otherwise. Most ID theft is committed through mail. Mail is intercepted but most of the time, it's thieves going through trash and finding old mail that has been discarded without being shredded.

The easiest ways to protect yourself from ID theft include the following

1. Shred your mail

2. Remove yourself from all mailing lists and credit card applications. I believe there was a program called opt out. There are a lot of companies that mail your information out. There is a website that is free that will remove your information from all these sites.

3. Remove yourself from information databases like zabasearch etc.

4. Check your credit report three times a year. Keep a limited number of credit cards (no more than 3 or 4). Your credit report will tell you if someone opened a card in your name. If you see a random credit card that you've never heard of, you can address it.

5. Keep a safe in your house or a hiding place in which you can hide extra credit cards, and important documents. Better yet, get a safety deposit box and put your birth certificate, passport etc in there.

6. MOST IMPORTANT-don't associate with shady people. Many times ID theft is committed by a person the victim knows.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Any thought that the rampant ID theft and kidnapping numbers are related directly to the large illegal immigration issue?

You can add in our relatively high rate of auto thefts and expensive insurance premiums to that number as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area