Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 21,618 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old female moving to AZ for a job and I'm looking for advice on whether to live in Northern Scottsdale or Central Phoenix. I am going to be working in northern Glendale off the 101, so Tempe and Old Town are out because of the commute.

Here's what I'm looking for: a cool locally owned coffee shop, non-chain restaurants, an artsy vibe, close to a farmer's market and museums, some nightlife.

I'm concerned about the safety of living in Phoenix. I hear some good things and some bad. Are the areas around downtown or uptown safe for a female living alone?

Is it true that Phoenix is dead at night? How have things changed with the new Light Rail? Are there more things to do around the downtown area?

Scottsdale sometimes gets compared to Southern California. Is this an accurate comparison?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Scottsdale, depending on how far north, could be a long commute via the 101. The downtown Phoenix area has a lot more going on now than it used to. . . if I was going to move somewhere in the Valley, downtown or midtown, along the rail, would be it.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,997,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC27runner View Post
I am going to be working in northern Glendale off the 101
just wondering why you don't think about living, oh, somewhere near northern Glendale off the 101?.....

everything you request can be found in Glendale, also....

can I ask where you're moving from?...is it Kansas City?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 16,950 times
Look for places around the Paradise Valley Mall. Its the most walkable area in Town, unless you want to pay high rents living in Old Town Scottsdale.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 AM

azdr0710 - Thanks for the reply! I am moving from Kansas City. Where do you suggest looking in Glendale? downtown Glendale? near the stadium? I haven't given Glendale a lot of consideration. I have some family in Gilbert, so Phoenix or Scottsdale would be a bit closer to them. Also, I haven't read great things about Glendale on some of the other threads, but maybe I just need to find the right neighborhoods.

AlaskanFireDragon - Thanks! I'll look into the Paradise Valley Mall area as well.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The downtown Phoenix area has a lot more going on now than it used to. . . if I was going to move somewhere in the Valley, downtown or midtown, along the rail, would be it.
Are there any safety concerns living near the rail? I lived in the San Francisco bay area for 4 years and got use to riding the BART, so the Light Rail seems appealing.

Is Camelback and Central considered midtown, or is that uptown?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Camelback and Central would be "uptown" I suppose, and a nice area. Living anywhere along/near the Central Ave part of the light rail would be fine.

I'm a little confused about the description of the PV Mall area as "walkable". Yes, there's nice neighborhoods there to take walks in, but I define "walkable" as something more than that, or than walking from store to store in the strip malls and mall on each corner.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM

915 posts, read 1,184,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Camelback and Central would be "uptown" I suppose, and a nice area. Living anywhere along/near the Central Ave part of the light rail would be fine.

I'm a little confused about the description of the PV Mall area as "walkable". Yes, there's nice neighborhoods there to take walks in, but I define "walkable" as something more than that, or than walking from store to store in the strip malls and mall on each corner.
Agreed. Walkable for me is Mill Ave in Tempe, Old Town Scottsdale, I think Chandler has a nice walkable downtown too. Maybe Kierland in N. Phoenix.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,997,565 times
I suggested Glendale just so you'd be close to work....it used to have a bit of a stodgy rep, but is now very much an up-and-coming town with the soccer and football stadiums now there and the Westgate development near those....sorry, but I don't know much more about the town....

living along Central near the light-rail line would be great....it turns away from Central at Camelback and heads west, so stay at or south of Camelback if you need to be at the rail area....Central and Camelback used to be called "uptown" and many old-timers still think of it as that...."Uptown Plaza" is a strip center at that corner, but it is now very much in the built-up urban center of town....as for an "uptown" vibe, yes, it is not a bad area, but not quite as upscale as many years ago....mixed area now and even a gay vibe exists a mile S on Central near Indian School and over to 7th Ave.!....

I'm very familiar with the PV Mall area and would call it border-line "walkable"....several apt/condo complexes are very close to all kinds of shopping choices in the area, but many choose to drive in the area....nice walk along the Indian Bend Wash greenbelt all thru there....Costco, Sprouts, REI, In N Out, WalMart, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, the mall, and many more stores are in that couple mile area down to Shea....very, very busy area, but very convenient and pleasant.....about 45 minutes to N Glendale area

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 16,950 times
Use this to check your walkability score! Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

I based it on that! I was searching for a nice part of the town having to work in the North of Phoenix, and area around PV Mall is where I decided on. Its nice out here! I moved from Boston, so not as "walkable" as Boston/Cambridge of course, but comparatively a lot better than any other places in the North of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area