Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 15,701 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just got a job in Phoenix and am moving in about two and a half weeks from the Kansas City area. I am going to be living in Ahwatukee and was hoping some of you would be able to compare the area to KC (specifically Overland Park/Johnson County). Does it feel a lot bigger? Is traffic comparable? What about the heat? How easy is it for a 22-year-old recent college grad to meet people?

Anything you can think of is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 PM

307 posts, read 950,067 times
Cool Used to live in PHX

I lived in the PHX area for years...

There is plenty to do and the housing in Ahwatukee is supposed to be very nice; however, if you want more of the mid-century housing...

Like the Overland Park area near Metcalf and I-405...

Take a look at the Arcadia area of PHX, along with both Tempe and some areas of Scottsdale... Mature trees and grass lawns...

As for being 22 years of age - you will be in a perfect area to meet others your age!

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,471,388 times
KC can be a little boring compared to Phoenix viewing the big picture.

Phoenix is much larger population-wise than KC so there are more job opportunities here.

There is a nice expressway system in KC which is needed because the area is pretty spread out. Phoenix has good freeways for the most part but more are in need. Traffic is pretty bad during crush hour but moderate other times.

Heat is terrible in Phoenix in the summer months, add a little humidity and it becomes even worse. Humidity is worse in KC but the temperatures are lower, so there's a tradeoff.

I can't say much for the KC airport, it's too small and ineffective. As hectic and confusing as Sky Harbor can be, at least it is more suitable to handle passenger traffic than KC's.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 PM

80 posts, read 171,122 times
Ahwatukee is very nice, but the Phoenix area is just different from KC. Traffic is about the same as 435 during rush hour. I love it here, but you will find some people from the Midwest dont. The heat is not that big of an issue. People tend to make it a bigger issue than it is. If you have visited and like what you see, then leave KC behind and dont expect Phoenix to be like the Midwest. Have an open mind and enjoy what the Southwest has to offer. Being 22 and living where you are, the world is at your feet. ASU is very near and there are over 50,000 upstanding folks you can hang with.

One last thing. You will find some very negative people on this site, just like you find in the real world. You know the type, nothing makes them happy and they blame everything else for there problems. The USA is a great place and you can be happy in any corner of it. Phoenix has great weather, pretty scenery and wonderful people. There is a reason people are constantly moving from the Midwest to Phoenix by the thousands. When was the last time a young graduate left school to move to St. Louis or Cleveland by choice?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,483,271 times
I've never lived in KC (only drivin through) but I suspect the cities don't have too much in common, so comparing them would be unfair. Phoenix is obviously much larger. MO is a heck of a lot different than AZ. I like Phoenix and think Arizona is great--there are not very many other places anywhere that I'd prefer to live--but there are those who don't like it. As has been said, come with an open mind and be ready to explore.
The heat can be overwhelming, especially your first summer. But you get used to it. And there are always ways to "escape" it (like a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive to the mountains). The winter is MUCH nicer here than KC. That's the trade off.
Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,504 times
Phoenix in a heartbeat over KC, and I spent time in Topeka for a couple years.. More to do in PHX, closer to Las Vegas, L.A. and San Diego if you wanna get away, don't have to worry about winter conditions like going on the I-70.. A good chunk of the Valley is safer by leaps and bounds compared to KCK.. Not having to worry about paying tolls on the highways like with KDOT and other cities are actually attached to Phoenix, whereas it will be some time between cities (Topeka, then 20 miles of nothing til Lawrence, and the same for other cities leading to KCK and KCMO). Other than the job I had in Topeka, I'd have chosen Phoenix if I had the option..

Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM

211 posts, read 638,048 times
First of all, welcome to Phoenix. There's a lot to love about this place.

Over the years, the weather here will probably shift on you. Summers will go from being novel curiosity to oppressive and endless. Winter will feel cooler and cooler as your blood thins out. You'll see raw, untamed landscapes that will make you forget all about the processed, commercial suburbia back in Kansas.

You lose the winding river and hundred year old brick buildings - the outward display of history in downtown KC - but you gain mountains, forests, lakes, and desert vistas that you'll be hard-pressed to explain to family and friends back in the OP.

There's really only a couple roads into and out of "The 'Tuke" so traffic can be a bear at times, but working by the airport, I've known co-workers who live in the Tuke to go home for lunch; something I've not been able to enjoy in years.

Every major city in the country has something to offer. IMO, Phoenix just has more to offer - locally and regionally - than KC... and especially Overland Park. Do yourself a favor and get those AZ tags right away. Plenty of former Kansans around these parts who remember the OP attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area