Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Plus it's a great senic backdrop for pictures, and hosts amazing parties like for New Years and 4th of July.
It is! I don't quite understand the general curmudgeon-like attitude on this thread. Then again, that's AZ... we love things backwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Someone that lives in Estrella with a huge artificial lake in the middle of the desert, 10 miles from any other development, is complaining about the waste of natural resources at Tempe Town Lake? LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Someone that lives in Estrella with a huge artificial lake in the middle of the desert, 10 miles from any other development, is complaining about the waste of natural resources at Tempe Town Lake? LOL
You can't cite one wrong to justify another. Estrella lakes are a waste of water too. There are some important differences. The Estrella Lakes were paid for by the investors and are maintained by fees levied on the residents. Tempe town lake was a taxpayer-funded handout to developers and is a constant drain on the taxpayers of Tempe. It's going to cost about 1/2 million dollars to refill it and then there are the ongoing pumping costs to keep it from polluting the groundwater and to replenish evaporation losses - not to mention millions for the new innertubes.

I find the Town Lake rather barren and ugly too (except the bridge area - that is cool). Estrella Lakes are much more pleasing to look at.

But, yeah, all of these water features are arguably a waste of water. On the other hand, they greatly improve the quality of life in the desert.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-21-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
The "nay" sayers here should look up the "Rio Salado Project", first proposed in the 70's, to capture water that otherwise was wasted when released from the upper water reservoirs

Tempe Town Lake is an excellent addition to the valley - water conservation and recreational at the same time. The lake is a major draw for various events that allow the residents of the valley to have fun and to promote tourism.

Have no fear - it will be up and running soon

Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But, yeah, all of these water features are arguably a waste of water. .
How can you call it a "waste of water" when, without those dams, when the water is released from the upper dams - and water HAS TO BE RELEASED - without those dams, the water is THEN CERTAINLY a "waste" as it will flow to the gulf of california -

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
How can you call it a "waste of water" when, without those dams, when the water is released from the upper dams - and water HAS TO BE RELEASED - without those dams, the water is THEN CERTAINLY a "waste" as it will flow to the gulf of california -
That's not how it works. It is only infrequently that runoff in the river would provide enough to sustain the evaporation losses. The lake has no conservation pool - what goes in goes out. And water to refill it will come from the Central Arizona Project (i.e. the Colorado River). The city will pay somewhere around $400 K for it, too.

Tempe Town Lake is in no way, shape or form a "conservation" project as you said above. It is a diversion of water resources to a recreational/enhancement use. It has to stand on that alone and maybe it does. We're not talking about a lot of water - about 3000 acre feet IIRC and maybe about that much more to make up for losses in a year. But that amount would be sufficient for several thousand homes.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
That's not how it works. It is only infrequently that runoff in the river would provide enough to sustain the evaporation losses. And water to refill it will come from the Central Arizona Project (i.e. the Colorado River). The city will pay somewhere around $400 K for it, too.

Tempe Town Lake is in no way, shape or form a "conservation" project as you said above. It is a diversion of water resources to a recreational/enhancement use. It has to stand on that alone and maybe it does.
I suggest you read up on the history - I really do.

It is not a conservation project solely - and I did not say it was. It was, from the get go, conservation and recreational.

Its primary source of water is releases from the upper dams. There has been water releases into the river (Salt) going on for MONTHS.

http://www.west.asu.edu/PhxMetroWeb/...ones/River.htm

Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I suggest you read up on the history - I really do.

It is not a conservation project solely - and I did not say it was. It was, from the get go, conservation and recreational.

Its primary source of water is releases from the upper dams. There has been water releases into the river (Salt) going on for MONTHS.

The Rio Salado Project
You don't know what you are talking about. It's water source is the Central Arizona Project allocation to Tempe. There is NO conservation storage. Any releases in the Salt just flows over the lower dam.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
As usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

In this case - I know far more than you.

Perhaps having served on the Rio Salado study committee as part of MAG and COP gave me some insights.

Really - you need to study up

Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
In this case - I know far more than you.

Perhaps having served on the Rio Salado study committee as part of MAG and COP gave me some insights.

Really - you need to study up
LOL. Oooookay..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area